News   Apr 30, 2024
 571     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 513     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Hamilton: General Service Discussion

No problem; apologies about that --

Back onto the topic of this specific thread, the temporary asphalt area at the West Harbour GO station has now been walled off and now undergoing further construction that includes stonework and landscaping.

It looks like an expanded HSR bus station is being built at West Harbour GO, amongst other changes continuing to occur. Bus shelters for HSR buses of this large size is pretty rare in Hamilton, even in the downtown core -- this may be one of the biggest HSR bus shelters I've ever seen outside of MacNab (I wonder if it will eventually double as a precursor to the future LRT station)

2015-08-31 20.52.57.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-08-31 20.52.57.jpg
    2015-08-31 20.52.57.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 866
  • 2015-08-31 20.49.24.jpg
    2015-08-31 20.49.24.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 376
  • 2015-08-31 20.51.18.jpg
    2015-08-31 20.51.18.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 363
Local city councillor Sam raised a motion to do a Grey Cup at the Hamilton Stadium.

To them, I suggested that they build a cheap Exhibition-style unsheltered GO platform near the stadium. Apparently, Hamilton purchased land next to Gage on the railroad route between West Harbour and Stoney Creek. Matthew Green (my ward's councillor) is also aware of this idea, from earlier.

Originally the stadium was supposed to have been built at West Harbour, near the new GO station. However, while we needed West Harbour over the long term anyway, the stadium wrong can be righted -- with another (albiet barebones) station.

For less than $1M, a temporary unsheltered asphalt platform (to serve events only) could occur only on the south side of the tracks -- just like the first temporary Exhibition platform (it was also originally to serve events only too!). No shelter, no underpass, no overpass. Just a simple cheap platform, with ticket/Presto vending machines.

The land is now owned by the city (and, apparently, more land than the land used by West Harbor GO). City of Hamilton bought the old glass plant at Gage & Lloyd, which abuts into the railroad. It acted as parking for PanAm, and will be turned into soccer fields, but there's plenty of land to also fit a simple Exhibition-style pedestrian platform too -- without even sacrificing any planned soccer field.

In this case for a temporary events-only platform, no pedestrian overpass is needed, if a bidirectional siding is built to the south -- or possibly using rail they plan to install south of the CN trackage between West Harbour and Stoney Creek GO.

GageGO.png

It is only 2-3 long blocks away from the new Hamilton stadium, a 5 minute walk.

Events include:
- TiCats football games
- Argonauts, whenever they need an alternate GTHA stadium
- Future Grey Cup (the motion raised by Sam)
- Future version of World Music Festival at Gage Park (10-15 minute walk south)

Attachments

• GageGO.png
    GageGO.png
    383.7 KB · Views: 2,816
Last edited:
Today, the Hamilton Citizen Jury (info at City of Hamilton) is having delibrations Hamilton's transit future, as seen at @HamCitzJury twitter account (January 9th, 2015 tweets)

They have a public forum at PlaceSpeak.com/HamCitzJury and recently, one of their questions to the public is what do you think Hamilton transit will look like in Year 2040?

By Toronto standards, HSR is quite abysmal. Infrequent/unpredictable on many routes, doesn't run some routes in evenings/weekends, takes well more than an hour to get between many destination pairs on opposite sides of escarpment (that are less than the distance between Front St. and Bloor Street).

Here's a narrated version of a reply I made, based on all my knowledge of transit going-ons and transit potentials already well under way in Hamilton.

In my opinion, this is a fairly realistic Vision 2040, given several of elements should already occur well before then:

A possible Hamiltion Vision 2040

Hamilton LRT
- Fully built B-Line from Dundas to Stoney Creek GO Station
- Mohawk/StJoe Hospital/Limerige LRT built
- A-Line already well on its way to revitalized Hamilton Airport
Side note: Added UrbanToronto commentary: The beginnings of this LRT is funded and currently (so far) on track, with the new LRT office opening this month at Hamilton's Hunter GO station.

Modal Sharing/Separation Issues
- Pedestrian-only International Village connecting all the way to Gore Park pedestrian.
- Mixed traffic only on A-Line LRT on James between Wilson and West Harbour GO
(to protect beautiful James St N heritage). B-Line needs to go through downtown very fast so keep LRT lanes free of cars -- but this is not necessary for A-Line as it "ends downtown" anyway.

GO Trains
- Electrified 15-minute service into Hamilton
- Gage Rd GO Station (city owns land there now!!! see http://i.imgur.com/5Y90936.png ...)
- Several Hamilton GO train stops (West Harbour GO, Gage GO, Stoney Creek GO)
- All-day 2-way service all the way from Toronto to Niagara Falls
Added UrbanToronto Side note: See Hamilton's GO construction photos currently under way towards all-day GO service by ~2023-2024. GO 15-minute electrification (by ~2025-ish) is now currently funded as part of a $13.5bn GO RER initiative, to Aldershot/Burlington, which is just a 15 minute drive of Hamilton.

Hamilton Escarpment Gondolas
- Beckett Drive Gondola
- Gage-Mountain Park Gondola
- These are cheaper to build & operate than inclinators (and no need for dynamiting escarpment)
- Brazil and other countries use them as public transit.
Added UrbanToronto Side note: The City of Hamilton is actually asking the public about gondolas, and are getting unusually enthusaic responses from the public. Mayor Fred has also tweeted it is part of a 10+ year plan. Also, Beckett Drive gondola was mentioned in one of the Hamilton Trails master plan.

HSR Bus Service
- Major bus service expansion
- Frequent north-south connections to all GO stops, LRT stops, and Gondola Stations
(Example: Frequent Gage bus route connecting Gage GO, Gage LRT, and Gage Gondola)
Added UrbanToronto Side note: HSR is currently in the midst of a 10-year expansion plan (thru ~2025), but we will need to go above-and-beyond past the current 10 years

Bikes & Bike Share
- City-Wide SoBi all the way in Mountain (including south of RHVP), Ancaster, Stoney Creek
- Fully protected/barriered cycle tracks along several selected corridors
Added UrbanToronto Side note: Hamilton, otherwise known as a very unbikeable city due to the danger of fast cars, is starting show accelerating potential. The first true cycle track, Cannon, just got built and opened 2015. And even one of the most anti-bike local city councillor, Terry Whitehead, have now started an initiative on a protected Claremont cycle track. Also, our new bike share system that started in 2015, is unexpectedly successful (+article2, +article3, +article4 +article5). Since those articles were written, membership has now exceeded 7500 in a service territory of 75,000 able-bodied people, apparently a Paris-style membership population-percentage market penetration rate). Given the market economics of SoBi versus market economics of a HSR bus, bang-for-buck apparently is turning out better with SoBi than an average HSR bus, so it makes sense to keep expanding SoBi, and a 20% expansion (in territory and bikes) apparently planned for 2016.

Events
- King LRT corridor has car-free Sundays for bicycles/pedestrians all the way between Gage Park and Downtown, with annual Kingcrawl event rivalling Supercrawl
Added UrbanToronto Side note: This probably will be in an era of Main 2-way, so there's a true bypass. The LRT route narrows King to 1 car traffic lane and one permanent parking lane (with curb bumpouts), which makes many options other than a Main 2-way far less appealing. Very few crosstown routes are very pleasant for pedestrians -- Gage Park and Downtown is only 30 minutes walk, yet very few make the walk because it is often a narrow 1.5 meter sidewalk inches away from speeding cars, on multiple directionally-easy routes between Gage and Downtown, or a circuituous walk through residential areas. Also, the LRT corridor plan includes wider sidewalks, curb bumpouts, and sidewalk trees, finally making for a much more pleasant east-west pedestrian corridor along the LRT route.

Last edited:
I'm tired of all this 'Gondola' talk.

No one in their right mind is going to transfer from one LRT to a Gondola then transfer back onto another LRT.

The A-Line should either climb the Claremont Access (via Hunter St) or go underground from Hughsom & Hunter area to Mountain Plaza Mall with an underground station @ Mohawk College.

A transfer point to climb the mountain is a waste of time. It eliminates the Rapid part of rapid transit.

Gondolas are feel-good touristy wastes of money. Hamilton is not a tourist trap. They would be white elephants.

Also a Pedestrian-Only International Village is a bad idea. It reminds of me Buffalo's Main St which is a ghost town day or night.

The city of Hamilton needs to get over its bump-out obsession, get rid of that stupid 'Downtown' sign @ Wellington, use that extra space to keep a continuous lane of westbound traffic while leaving LRT in it's own dedicated lanes.

Gondolas are feel-good touristy wastes of money. Hamilton is not a tourist trap. They would be white elephants.

Portland has one, linking its LRT with its big central medical center/ hospital complex. It's the primary way to access the center by public transit. The whole complex is built atop a mountain - not unlike Hamilton - and the road access is quite circuitous. It's heavily used by hospital workers as well as patients and visitors. The view was nice but it felt more like a giant elevator than anything - complete with people in scrubs talking shop all the way down.

http://www.gobytram.com

I wouldn't dismiss the concept, it has its uses - but an LRT it's not.

- Paul

No one in their right mind is going to transfer from one LRT to a Gondola then transfer back onto another LRT.

The A-Line should either climb the Claremont Access (via Hunter St) or go underground from Hughsom & Hunter area to Mountain Plaza Mall with an underground station @ Mohawk College.

A transfer point to climb the mountain is a waste of time. It eliminates the Rapid part of rapid transit.

They don't make sense as a step in a rapid transit corridor, but they make plenty of sense in an active transportation network. Hamilton is reasonably flat apart from the escarpment, so a few gondolas or funiculars (whatever) would be a substantial improvement in the bicycle and pedestrian networks.

Yes, yes, yes.....
I understand, they were originally laughinstock, but....

I never said gondolas would replace the A-Line LRT.

The gondola I am proposing is nowhere near any proposed mountain LRT.

I never said it was for tourists, though it can be an element of that, it needs to survive without tourists.

This is profitable at less than 10% capacity
This also serves residents, not just tourists
This iis not a gigantic white elephant model....

This is just a simple, basic 4-person open bucket that may be privately funded.

There are no LRTs planned in the proposed GagePark-MountainPark gondola, and would just simply provide another escarpment access.

Most people won't be transferring to transit at both ends of the gondola, but would likely at one end of the gondola (e.g. ride bus to gondola, a no-wait transfer, then a 10 minute walk to Tim Horton's Field Game to avoid need for parking -- as 1 possible of hundreds of use of gondola -- as an example)

For as little as $2-3 million (the cost of 4 buses), you can have a basic 4-person open-bucket:

Yv4lzJG.png

Bump up the budget only slightly, and you can get more-wind-resistant enclosed gondolas with nighttime lighting, for extended operation hours. And they do run at transit fares too in some parts of the worlds (e.g. $3 league)

These can be transit prices (e.g. $3 league, $5 roundtrip)
These are wheelchair accessible
These are bike accessible (hang bike on side)

Conceptually, a small basic 4-person capsule gondola, which is a slight upgrade from a basic 4-person open bucket:

B821511152Z.1_20140129073004_000_G3M15OC7H.2_Content[1].jpg

(From TheSpec)

This is not now, but by 2025 -- This one can is profitable at less than 10% capacity. That means only 1 capsule out of 10 needs to be filled with people, in order to break even! But in reality, it will be surgey, with peaks and valleys, including Gage Park events and Tim Horton's Field event, etc.

Due to the short distance of 500 meters, it only needs to run slowly (just double walking speed) and still have a quick 3-minute ride, and that very dramatically lowers maintenance and electricity costs as well, and some short gondola runs operate at less than 15 kilowatts of electricity. Properly designed, it breaks even with just relatively few riders at public-transit-league fares.

No dynamiting of the escarpment is needed, as with inclinators.

It goes the whole gamut -- from the revitalized Concession, to Tim Horton Field's games.
It's not tourist stuff. Some of this is stuff that may be privately fundable.

Most councillors, the mayor, BIAs, etc, have liked the gondola idea at one time or another;

One just has to read the enthusaic comments by residents in the trial balloon in the Sherman Hub, some of who would use it daily.

Unlike a bus or LRT, gondolas have a very short waiting time, so the transfer isn't long. We're talking about very simple 4-person gondolas that cost less than $10 million (so low, that possibly no taxpayer funds needed) on short 500 meter runs, and only need to be operated by 2 or 4 employees at extended hours. It takes almost an hour to go between two points of the escarpment, and with the bus you often need to do a transfer anyway.

And the city is polling the population about gondolas:
Yes, City of Hamilton is asking communities about whether they like the gondola...
And people are saying they do like the gondola

gondolas[1].png

(Source: CBC)

Again, would you be for it, if it was privately funded?

In the Sherman Hub, and other hubs, I have been throwing trial balloons, like this one. There were only very few negative comments (less than 10%). Here are selected positive comments:

"...I think it would be amazing, both for residents and for visitors..."

"...It would take me to work everyday!..."

"...I love this idea!..."

"...I think "neat!!"..."

"...What a great way to connect the lower city with the mountain and vice versa..."

"...his has been done all around the world. Why not here. It it badly needed to take away some access traffic. It would also bring an attraction to visitors. Our city deserves this!!! So many people need help getting up and down the bus is such a waste of time for so many. Please do what you can. It will make some jobs too. I hope. I will share....."

"...The HSR is awesome but getting from the central mountain to the central part of downtown is a pain in the rear and a lot of wasted time..."

"...big like!..."

"...Brilliant! My daughter needed to get to Concession Library by bus this summer- estimated public transit time, with the construction detours, would have been 3 hours. Its a half hour walk with the stairs. This gondola would be helpful to many people, especially those unable to walk the stairs..."

"...It may be a very wise investment indeed. As our boomers age, and they are, issues of municipal accessibility for mobility devices like walkers, scooters, and wheelchairs will become critical for planning city infrastructures. Not only as a tourist attraction, but as a viable solution to this upcoming change in our demographic, this unique mode of transportation may be a critical investment into the not so distant future..."

"...Totally on board! Great idea!..."

"...love. love. love this!!!!!!!!!!! how can i help get this going???..."

"...What an amazing idea smile emoticon.."

And that's not all of them...
And that's not the only place I've trial-ballooned...

I'm currently doing behind-the-scenes gondola advocacy as well; I currently have a catalogue of over 100 positive comments from local residents..

A low-fare basic gondola, possibly privately funded, makes a lot of sense for Hamilton residents, and does not require tourism to be successful.

It could go public funded, but it could easily go privately funded, given the budget leagues being spoken about, and the transit time savings (up to 30min initial wait (Sunday frequencies) + 40min (GoogleTransit) total bus ride including 1 downtown transfer) between the two parks on the conceptual Gage-Mountain route. Whether you're doing a day at the park, or attending a Tim Horton's Field event to avoid having to pay $20 to park, or don't want to go back up the stairs on a rainy day, or dreading going down the Stairs because you're too old to walk back upstairs or take long bus ride later (can now take gondola back up instead), etc. There are so many use cases and it will only expand in 10-15 years from now with the LRT passing near Gage.

Tiny stations and tiny 4-person gondola, not too different from that one at Mount Tremblant -- the whole thing was built for only $7M (several km) -- fully enclosed wind-resistant capsules. Ours would be only a 500 meter fleahop!

Sure, with a metrowide paper such as TheSpec, you get the predictable derison from outer areas such as Ancaster, Stoney Creek, South-of-RHVP, etc. This is predictable; the 'laughingstock response'.

If you attend community meetings (like I do) and find very enthusaic support just 20 minutes walking radius of the gondola stations (which encompasses a lot; including Limeridge, Juravinski, Ottawa St BIA, Concession BIA, Time Horton's Field, etc.) And with this, you can recruit potential investors, etc.

But why would distant residents be against a privately-funded gondola? Or possibly, a low-fare gondola that has a capital cost of only a few buses yet transports far more passengers per day? With lower operating costs per passenger, even when 90% empty offpeak? Other countries have de-laughingstock-ized the gondolas, the problem here in Hamilton is lack of education about how sensible simple gondolas are. This isn't a megasize with big stations. It's just a basic gondola over a short run.

Focus on the proof of local enthusiasm (via multiple surveys, mine included). Stop reading CBC or TheSpec commentators lambasting how laughingstock a gondola is, and focus on the potential market areas, easy for families, wheelchair/bike accessible, etc. It only needs a few hundred people average per day to break even (averages out -- given the ebb-flow of peak events and low season).

Gondolas ARE NOT LAUGHINGSTOCK STUFF if you learn about them properly.

This isn't a bigstation bigcapsule megaproject.

This is just a shoestring 4-person 500 meter run that saves 30-60 minutes of time for many residents tired of taking 1.5 hours to go between two locations between central Lower and many central near-Mountain Brow locations.

It would also be fun, wheelchair accessible, bike accessible, bike accessible, old residents accessible, and a nice scenic usually-no-wait 3 minute ride (gently operating at only twice walking speed), instead of 40-70 minute bus ordeal (including 1st bus stop wait time, not factored into Google Transit time), but simultaneously isn't always a replacment for buses, increases cross-escarpment options (including less reluctance to walk down the stairs), allows more park options for both sides of the escarpments, access to the improving Ottawa Street and improving Concession Street (and future revitalized King corridor)

People here want it!
People here like it!
Capital cost is low and possibly privately fundable.

It's a legitimate low-cost project that adds a lot of utility, especially in the post-LRT era.

Attachments

• B821511152Z.1_20140129073004_000_G3M15OC7H.2_Content[1].jpg
    B821511152Z.1_20140129073004_000_G3M15OC7H.2_Content[1].jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 527
  • gondolas[1].png
    gondolas[1].png
    195.9 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Also a Pedestrian-Only International Village is a bad idea. It reminds of me Buffalo's Main St which is a ghost town day or night.
Simultaneously agree & disagree.

Agree, we don't want a ghost town.
Disagree, it shouldn't be a ghost town, if done properly (see below).

Yes, revitalizations can have unexpected issues -- e.g. City of Ottawa's Sparks Street pedestrianization (in its early days) to things like Barton Village. We must be cognizant of that, obviously.

But there should be far more pedestrian traffic by 2040:
-- 15-year-boom boom in condos downtown
-- Far more residents living downtown
-- LRT plan templates include more pedestrian-friendly King between Gage Park and Downtown. They're only 30 minutes walk apart, yet few people bother walking because it's so convenient to drive and sidewalks are so narrow where falling sideways can mean death.
-- The business revitalizations from Gage Park to Downtown.
-- The larger stop spacing between LRT stations than bus stations, you will have way more pedestrians.

Obviously, careful analysis will be needed to see if it makes sense or not.

The Hamilton LRT doesn't open until 2024...

And yet, Vision 2040 implies it doesn't have to go pedestrian-only at first; this was Vision 2040 stuff -- almost 25 years from now. It does indirectly assume traffic diversion (e.g. Main 2-way), in order for it to make sense.

And, briefly, back to the topic of gondolas -- this is year 2040. Gondola talks are intensifying and Fred Eisenberger tweeted that gondolas are a "10+ year plan". Eventually, given enough time, gondolas are quite a shoo-in for Vision 2040, enhancing things without interfering with LRTs (i.e. uninterrupted A-Line LRT). I am currently doing actual gondola footwork and due diligence, and this will continue, and may amplify once after Hamilton LRT begins construction 2019 (success achieved), the gondola advocacy is another item on my "transit-umbrella" advocacies I intend to get into as well. It's just a matter of time before one of the gondola routes gets built. So you better'd get used to it. ;)

But anyway yes, I would agree; I would be opposed to a pedestrian-IV if it was a ghost town. That what James Street North used to be in the 1990s. And now it's much more busy at nights; with all the new places opening. Some steps backs (e.g. that structurally unstable mexican restaurant that had to be demolished, that delayed condo, etc), and the Christmas event at Gore Park is getting busier, the amazing new War Memorial has helped, and the sad empty/disguised storefronts will be filled up in due time, along with the downtown condo expansions, King revitalization, LRT stops, etc. Even King William is starting to get people at nighttime nowadays with some of the new hangouts that has opened, and hopefully this continues. By 2040, it won't be a ghost town with pedestrianization even if some of it may have been attempted early in a non-sustained manner (like Barton). We have many steps and pre-requisites to do first, over the next many years. It takes a lot of sustained work over decades, not the halting/incremental steps Hamilton has done so far. But by 2040, I disagree it will be a ghost town. Gore Park used to be a ghost town all year round, but that's not the case anymore, for the first time I bothered to visit Gore Park on foot (a year after I moved) and was impressed at the new war memorial, etc. Lots more incremental steps are needed though. But this year, I do agree -- it's too early to pedestrianize.

get rid of that stupid 'Downtown' sign @ Wellington, use that extra space to keep a continuous lane of westbound traffic while leaving LRT in it's own dedicated lanes.
Love or hate the gate -- this isn't going to be necessary in the era of Main 2-way.
And perhaps, the gate may need to be modified to be compatible with the LRT plan.
(personally I like the milepost gates).

It's quite true that in the batch of revitalizations, some had wildly successful effects (e.g. Supercrawl) and others did not succeed as much (e.g. Barton Village), and in the desparate rush to de-Detroit Hamilton and rid of its blight over the last 20 years, there ware many mixed successes with lots of frustrations (e.g. the loss of traffic lanes on King through IV). But we're less than 50% done -- and only now, finally, we're reinstalling population (new residents) back into downtown. Right now, the milepost gate is at the intersection of two urban expressways, not exactly a lovely pedestrian entrance at the moment.

But, given another 25 years -- VISION 2040 -- it won't be a ghost town in that section of the IV, especially when it's a more pleasant pedestrian walk between Gage Park and Downtown along the LRT route. Also consider many sections of the Hamilton LRT in the 2011 metrolinx submission, is only 1 lane of traffic, this literally forces traffic diversion to other routes

Last edited:

I agree that the A-Line will serve Mohawk College and surrounding areas. And a lot of the ideas above are not feasible due to the irregular nature of the demand. However, there are other areas on top of the Mountain that do not have a connection to rapid transit that need some sort of improved service. Ideally the gondola station is right beside a LRT station so it is integrated into transit.

One location that may be well served is the Juravinski (sp?) Hospital connecting to the B-Line...maybe the Wentworth or Sherman stop. The added bonus is that there are a bunch of low-rise apartments (4 story) right beside the hospital that are ripe for redeveloping into high-rises.

That's what's a privately funded "CPT/gondola" feasibility study would be for (I've got contacts, send me a PM.) -- finding the best routes that are the record, Concession BIA and Ottawa BIA is aware and likes the gondola idea.

One of the many possible variants, not just yours also, is that GagePark-MountainPark can be extended over Gage Park so that one end lands in Gage Park near the Delta LRT station.

Alternatively, if it lands at Mountain Park, the Concession BIA can eventually be extended all the way there over the next 25 years, including redeveloping the parking lot + ugly box apartments (that doesn't look like they'll last to 2040) into a mixed-use developments. Obviously, the owners of the buildings would have to be onboard with that, so that due diligence needs to be done...

Either way, it would only be something that's greenlighted once LRT shovels are in the ground.

Last edited:
I'm a Hamiltonian in 2030..
Do I walk to, jump on a gondola to get up the hill or do I use my Mobile Device to call up a Driverless Share Vehicle to take me up that same hill?

Gondolas are a waste of time and energy (not to mention money). Unless you can click a button to pick you up, they will be useless by 2030.

Hamilton should look into what the inevitable cohesion between the Share Economy & Driverless Electric Vehicles can do for near-future Public Transit.

The added bonus is that there are a bunch of low-rise apartments (4 story) right beside the hospital that are ripe for redeveloping into high-rises.

Please no more Highrises (or gondola towers / wires / 'buckets') destroying the natural beauty of the Niagara Escarpment.

IMO anything along the edge like those buildings you refer to should be no taller than 4 storeys. Granted those particular buildings and its land are ripe for redevelopment!

Has a gondola ever been studied by Hamilton in the past? I think it'd be pretty sweet, and would be a great attraction for the city.

Back