News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 498     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Hakim Optical - Dundas Square

Is this the stupidest project in the entire GTA?

• Of course it is.

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Without a doubt.

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One thing's for sure if it gets built... it'll take some of the attention from the current "ugliest building in Toronto" on the other side of Dundas Square.

If Hakim, or whoever the developer is, can't afford to build something nice, that's ok. But don't build it so close to the Centre of the Universe where everybody can see it! Go build it here in Scarborough, or somewhere out in Vaughan where it won't be noticed.

One thing's for sure if it gets built... it'll take some of the attention from the current "ugliest building in Toronto" on the other side of Dundas Square.

The other side? I think you mean right next to it.

Its not really ugly as much as it is a hodgepodge of uninspired use of materials and signage. It looks like a cheap mockup done in 20 minutes, rather than an architectural rendering.

That rendering is part of a bigger 'for lease' sign so its unclear as to whether they have even Hakim as a tenant and whether they need more tenants for construction to actually start (and with Pen-Equity's record, don't expect shovels in the ground next week).

The rendering, in real life, does not look as 'warped' as the picture above, if that is any comfort.

So many years of work and waiting and the area has turned into another 'Worlds Biggest Jean Store' only bigger and badder.

Regardless of the junky stores that may surround it - and gaudy has to go somewhere I guess, so why not here? - we have a great public square in the heart of the city that's used by thousands of satisfied customers year round. I think we came out ahead.

The other side? I think you mean right next to it.

I thought the Ryerson Business Building beat out the Torch to the title of ugliest building according to this Forum.

I thought the *BUILDING WHOSE NAME WE DARE NOT MENTION HERE* beat out the Torch to the title of ugliest building according to this Forum.
That's better.

Saying its name only empowers its architects, who of course hail from Mordor.

Babel: For the most part I agree with you on that. In a way its kind of nice to see that despite all the work that has taken place there over the past decade the Yonge and Dundas area, that I remember before all this took place, in its unrefined and genuine tackiness and grit, will live on, only larger, in more neon and flashy lights, and as you said, with a new public square.

That this project seems to be taking on a character less and less of an imitation Times Square and more and more Classic Yonge and Dundas actually brings a smile to my face.

Hosers "got" Dundas Square as soon as it opened, even if Lisa Rochon turned her nose up and tried to poison the well of public opinion. If you're going to have massive doses of commercial vulgarity and sensory overload GO BIG say I - and we did.

I once heard that Mr. Hakim has one car for every day of the week.

I know Sir Karim Hakimi very well, and he does indeed have a car for every day of the week - and they are each worth about half a million dollars. He also has a yacht currently docked in Cancun that is probably worth more than the entire Yonge-Dundas redevelopment scheme altogether. Definately one of Toronto's flashiest citizens - but also a wonderful man and a very generous one.

I read the other day that the torch closed down. Is this true?

Yes, its true. Its a shame. As I said earlier. Great idea, badly executed.

While I wouldn't nominate it for any design awards, how is that Hakim proposal horrible, exactly? I'd agree that it fits whatever happy-go-lucky spec-populist demeanour Dundas Square's aiming for; and relative to the immediate environs, what's to contaminate? (Other than maybe the Mackenzie House backyard, perhaps.)

A generation w/o spec schlock is a generation w/o soul...I guess...

Back