News   Apr 26, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 899     0 

Growing Gardens (flowers and veg etc.)

My garden still isn't quite done.......

Today's harvest ( November 4th, 2023):

View attachment 517875

Chives, Chervil ('French Parsley' with a sort of anise flavour) and Portuguese Peppers (a bit undersized, but still nice like this).

Not on view, my parsley still putting up new growth and my almost completely dead tomato plants are still ripening the last few cherry tomatoes (I ate one before I took the pic!)
If you leave the tomatoes to rot and be covered with soil you’ll get a plant for next season. Today I did exactly that, picked the remaining cherry and beefsteak tomatoes and tossed them into a hole and filled it in.

Finally got around to do my autumn garden clean up. Pulled up all the dahlias and stored the bulbs for next season. Did some pruning of dead stems on the roses but left major pruning until the spring. Tossed all the now frost bitten and dead plant matter onto the lawn and ran it over with my Toro Recycler lawn mower. I’ve effectively stopped brown bagging ever since getting this mower, now I only put out one bag at the curb that contains rose stems and weeds. Some of the mulch I moved it back into the flower beds and mixed it into the soil.

Had purchased a few bags of clearance deeply discounted triple mix for spreading around the beds and making mounds at the base of the roses.

I have to report with some bemusement, this is the first year I've ever had some of my fresh herbs survive into December.

Chives are usually the longest lasting, they died off for the year at the end of November........

But to my surprise, this year........

My Chervil is still pretty robust as we approach mid-December, while my curly parsley has slowed its growth considerably, it too is still putting out new growth.

DSC02893.jpg

DSC02894.jpg

I have to report with some bemusement, this is the first year I've ever had some of my fresh herbs survive into December.

Chives are usually the longest lasting, they died off for the year at the end of November........

But to my surprise, this year........

My Chervil is still pretty robust as we approach mid-December, while my curly parsley has slowed its growth considerably, it too is still putting out new growth.

View attachment 527298

View attachment 527299
If the weather continues as is we will be taking off the winter wheat months in advance!!

Wow, late to this thread, but I'll be sure to share during the upcoming season.

Mid-way through the growing season, I built a hydroponic system for my west-facing balcony. I had mixed results. My guess is that I didn't properly monitor the nutrient and pH levels. This season, I'm going to be on top of it. Hopefully I get quite a bit of production from it.

20230708_141730.jpg

Back