News   May 03, 2024
 874     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 542     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 266     0 

Greater Toronto Transportation Authority Act, 2006

Perhaps they can convince David Gunn to come out of retirement, or at least have him play an advisory role.

This is just a failure waiting to happen. Nothing concrete will get done, money will be sliced so thinly across the region to make everyone happy and nothing meaninful gets done.

I don't understand why they can't get people with no regional affiliation to look at the problems and address them. No whinning or crying about who gets what, whatever is best for the region gets built.

Problem is there's disagreements about what's best for the region. How can you find anyone that's unbiased, but at the same time knows the region, and not just some small part of it?

This kind of GTTA will only exacerbate the problem of subways to nowhere (Sheppard, Vaughan). How many 905 people would even care about building a subway along Eglinton? Or a downtown relief line?

This kind of GTTA will only exacerbate the problem of subways to nowhere (Sheppard, Vaughan). How many 905 people would even care about building a subway along Eglinton? Or a downtown relief line?

Peel would support the Eglinton subway, probably more so than any entension of the Bloor-Danforth line. I am not sure why you think Sheppard a subway to nowhere, it is a good route for a subway.

Not every project has to have a regional significance anyways. If Mississauga for example wanted to build the Hurontario LRT, just because it is represented by only one seat on the board doesn't mean that it will get no funding.

Remember, it is not the job this new board to make all the decisions of the GTTA. They govern the GTTA, but the actual planning and other important stuff is left to the professionals.

"This kind of GTTA will only exacerbate the problem of subways to nowhere (Sheppard, Vaughan)."

If the area around Fairview Mall is 'nowhere,' the only comparable 'somewhere' would be downtown and all subway expansion would cease forever.

"How many 905 people would even care about building a subway along Eglinton? Or a downtown relief line?"

People in York Region would definitely take the DRL.

How can you find anyone that's unbiased, but at the same time knows the region, and not just some small part of it?

You can get people from outside Ontario that have the proper credentials and experience. Its not a prerequsite to know the region, so long as they study it (which will have to happen anyways with whatever composition you have) properly.

The solution is quite obvious. More central area 416 subways with connection LRT/BRT to the suburbs.

You better believe that the Peel Regional Representative will be from Mississauga. No question about it.

Too bad the province didn't give Mississauga and Brampton the respect it deserved by having two seats for Peel.

Now Hazel and Susan will be fighting it out at Regional Council.

Louroz

You better believe that the Peel Regional Representative will be from Mississauga. No question about it.

Can you prove that, or is this just vintage FutureMayor?

The representation plan for the GTTA is just screwed up, period.

He's already been appointed Colonel of the Mississauga Militia which will march on Queen's Park if Hazel's demands are denied.

haha FM can I be your major in the mississauga militia? i'll march with you at queens park to ensure our demands are met! and if not, mississauga shall secede from the gta! take that gtta!

Too bad the province didn't give Mississauga and Brampton the respect

....or the ridership...

You know, cause, having 1/4 of the seats the ttc has isn't fair enough, they should have 2/4.

haha FM can I be your major in the mississauga militia? i'll march with you at queens park to ensure our demands are met! and if not, mississauga shall secede from the gta! take that gtta!

Yes, because they are confident they can go it completely alone, all of Mississauga will be airlifted to a place where it will never be part of the GTA. There's lots of land between Sudbury and Timmins ripe for a new city centre, and now no one in neighbouring areas will complain of hundreds of Mississauga buses going down their streets. And Mississauga will take Pearson Airport with it. Take that Toronto!

Of course, they would also get to succede from Peel, and would now be part of Sudbury District, which has no upper-tier government. There. All problems solved.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

of course, arguing over regional representation versus population is reminiscent of arguments over the existence of the senate. in the end there are a lot of problems with democracy, especially since the uneducated masses can be (subjectively or objectively) wrong. so you could have transit planners make the decisions, based on the greatest benefit for the greatest number of people. sounds fair in principal, but how do you make it work in a place like the GTA with competing interests and politics getting in the way. will the GTTA actually solve anything? time will tell

I call for the figure of 500,000 to be use for board members and this who see Peel getting 3 seat with 2 going to Mississauga. Toronto would get 9 seats.

The mistake here is using regional representation in the first place. The GTTA should be run by planners and transportation experts whose job is to get the most transit for the buck. Anything else will result in politics and will cause the GTTA to quickly grid to a halt. I mean Toronto gets 4 seats. Does this mean the 4 seats have to be allocated according to population within the city? One each for Toronto, Etobicoke, North York and Scraborough? Plain silly.

Back