News   Apr 26, 2024
 693     0 

Greater Golden Horseshoe Transportation Plan

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if there's an existing thread that it would make more sense for this to be a part of. I looked for a bit, but maybe someone who spends more time in the Transportation threads knows of one I didn't find. In any case, here's how this webpage with attached survey opens:

GREATER GOLDEN HORSESHOE TRANSPORTATION PLAN

The Ontario Ministry of Transportation is developing a bold new long-range transportation plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe (GGH). It will look out to 2051 and beyond, and ensure that the transportation system of the future supports continued prosperity and quality of life, and is responsive to current and future environmental, economic and social needs.

The GGH Transportation Plan aims at providing a strategic network that reduces congestion, supports economic growth and job creation, a system that is resilient, and can adapt to climate change and other major shifts in the global context.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU?
Transportation is part of everyone’s life – whether you are getting to school, to work, to medical care, to the arena, to the mall, shipping goods for your business or visiting family and friends. But how will that change in the future? How will people and goods move differently 50 years from today in the face of a rapidly changing society and disruptive technologies that are happening in the GGH and the world around us?

This GGH Transportation Plan will address these questions, with your input.​

Check it out, and discuss away!

Interesting. Wondering why this is coming out of MTO and not Metrolinx. Looking at the site I'm mostly attracted to the map below. Specifically for showing all rail corridors overlain with the existing transportation system. There are large gaps going into the future that could be slowly filled in similar to how the original GO rail system rolled out. E.g Cambridge, Brantford, Orangeville, Bolton, even as far as Peterboro. Nothing crazy ala HSR, HFR, RER, Hydrail - just start out with one train in the AM and PM or something.

Transportationmap_EN2-01.jpg

Wondering why this is coming out of MTO and not Metrolinx
I believe it's likely because Metrolinx's official mandate is for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas. The mandate for this plan seems to be under a greater provincial scope.

The Government needs to get the head out of their ass and Create The Southern Regional Transportation System to look after Transit and Roads since Metrolinx has already exceeded where there suppose to operate and a comply failure to date.

The SRTS would run from Windsor in the West to Kingston in East, North Bay to the US Boarder.

This would include the HSR and all transit systems in this area. The Government needs to be off limit to this system and it will have very strong powers as well funding on a yearly based.

The Government needs to get the head out of their ass and Create The Southern Regional Transportation System to look after Transit and Roads since Metrolinx has already exceeded where there suppose to operate and a comply failure to date.

The SRTS would run from Windsor in the West to Kingston in East, North Bay to the US Boarder.

This would include the HSR and all transit systems in this area. The Government needs to be off limit to this system and it will have very strong powers as well funding on a yearly based.

Basically an expanded Metrolinx. I agree. Metrolinx needs a cabinet minister. And it's own revenue generation capabilities.

Putting ads on/in GO buses and trains would be the first baby step.
There are ad spaces on GO trains.

Yes they are limited.....but the fact that most of them are filled with GO/ML ads/messages just tells me there is no great demand for the space in the market.

MTO did the initial HSR study. But yes, I expect this study will focus on roads much more than transit. MTO just does not have the institutional knowledge to plan transit.

But yes, I expect this study will focus on roads much more than transit. MTO just does not have the institutional knowledge to plan transit.

Feel like this kind of makes sense. While we've had transit grand plans every election there hasn't been much of a hwy / 400 series grand plan. They seem more like individual projects viewed in isolation rather than a large network vision. At least from a casual observer pov. So yea you may be correct.

I live in North Oakville and we are in dire need of a rail corridor. The "last mile" to get down to the Lakeshore West line is just too much. Likewise, there should be connections to the Pearson Airport employment area

Back