1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 910     1 

Great Fried Chicken Thread

Member Bio
Reaction score
3G Capital really has squeezed Tims and Burger King for every extra dollar they could get. The expansion plans for Popeyes are ambitious so I’ve heard, but I’m kinda getting the feeling RBI will become Yum brands 2; just a collection of past their peak fast food brands (at least in terms of North America) with mediocre quality food.

3G Capital really has squeezed Tims and Burger King for every extra dollar they could get. The expansion plans for Popeyes are ambitious so I’ve heard, but I’m kinda getting the feeling RBI will become Yum brands 2; just a collection of past their peak fast food brands (at least in terms of North America) with mediocre quality food.
A friend of mine works for Popeyes Canada. RBI is hoping this will be their growth opportunity.

Maybe they’ll shop the catalogue of stale Canadian restaurant brands and buy Mr. Sub, Mother’s Pizza, Country Style And GCB

Last edited:
A friend of mine works for Popeyes Canada. RBI is hoping this will be their growth opportunity.

Maybe they’ll shop the catalogue of stale Canadian restaurant brands and buy Mr. Sub, Mother’s Pizza, Country Style And GCB

I wonder if it is a pandemic flash in the pan - Popeyes is popping up everywhere but the quality is a bit wanting IMHO.

AoD

Last edited:
I wonder if it is a pandemic flash in the pan - Popeyes is popping up everything but the quality is a bit wanting IMHO.

AoD
A&Ws are everywhere, like pox. My friend at Popeyes is in ops and procurement and will be helping their rapid expansion.

There's a new Church's Chicken here in Cabbagetown in the historic Winchester Hotel. I walk by with the dog and it always seems empty. I think Americans think Canadians share their fondness for deep fried breaded chicken and bucket sized soda.

A&Ws are everywhere, like pox. My friend at Popeyes is in ops and procurement and will be helping their rapid expansion.

There's a new Church's Chicken here in Cabbagetown in the historic Winchester Hotel. I walk by with the dog and it always seems empty. I think Americans think Canadians share their fondness for deep fried breaded chicken and bucket sized soda.

It would be informative to find out how many of them are franchise stores (vs corporate). My guess is the former - sell them fast, get the cash, and when they tank later the franchisees are the ones who will be holding the cap.

AoD

I wonder if it is a pandemic flash in the pan - Popeyes is popping up everywhere but the quality is a bit wanting IMHO.

AoD

QSR (fastfood) is rarely genuinely good; one might argue for Chipotle as such, but its not common.

Popeyes has really been exploding to a great degree because KFC has been floundering.

I rarely make use of any QSR brand, and am probably only in a Popeyes twice a year if that.

That said, I will give them this, their Chicken Tenders actually seem like chicken, and if you order the spicy (which is the only way imho) they actually have a bit of kick which I enjoy.

The fries, slaw and other stuff is all quite forgettable.

But then you have their chief competitor, KFC whose chicken breading has a good flavour........but whose chicken does not, and has fries that can equated to stale cardboard, with gravy that is to
put it charitably, unappetizing.

So there you go, Popeyes owners currently have the deeper pockets........

QSR (fastfood) is rarely genuinely good; one might argue for Chipotle as such, but its not common.

Popeyes has really been exploding to a great degree because KFC has been floundering.

I rarely make use of any QSR brand, and am probably only in a Popeyes twice a year if that.

That said, I will give them this, their Chicken Tenders actually seem like chicken, and if you order the spicy (which is the only way imho) they actually have a bit of kick which I enjoy.

But then you have their chief competitor, KFC whose chicken breading has a good flavour........but whose chicken does not, and has fries that can equated to stale cardboard, with gravy that is to

I don't know, I had Jolibee's and their chicken actually beats Popeye's (nevermind KFC) by a LONG shot. Totally right about the anonymous slides - I think in some ways Popeye's are worse than KFC. Way too heavy on the salt too.

AoD

I don't know, I had Jolibee's and their chicken actually beats Popeye's (nevermind KFC) by a LONG shot. Totally right about the anonymous slides - I think in some ways Popeye's are worse than KFC. Way too heavy on the salt too.

AoD

I tried Jolibees once, when they were just in Scarborough.

I liked it well enough, but the 20 minute line just to order put me off, and I haven't returned.

If the novelty is wearing off a bit, and/or the additional locations have eased the lines, I may give them another look.

As a fried chicken connoisseur, I agree with most of this. KFC is in a tailspin - apart from the breading recipe, they have absolutely nothing else to offer that their direct competitors like Popeye's don't do 10 times better at this point. Their fries are by far the worst in the fast food world. They rarely offer their extra crispy breading, which I'm convinced is one of the reasons other chains have been beating the stuffing out of them in recent years. Truly befuddling. I think Popeye's cajun fries, while not on the level you'd find with the hand-cut ones in independent restaurants, are well a notch above any of the other fast food chains.

Jollibee was decent, but I've not been inspired to return yet beyond the single time I went there.

I think Mary Brown's chicken might top my list though. Haven't tried Chick-Fil-A due to their controversial history...

As a fried chicken connoisseur, I agree with most of this. KFC is in a tailspin - apart from the breading recipe, they have absolutely nothing else to offer that their direct competitors like Popeye's don't do 10 times better at this point. Their fries are by far the worst in the fast food world. They rarely offer their extra crispy breading, which I'm convinced is one of the reasons other chains have been beating the stuffing out of them in recent years. Truly befuddling. I think Popeye's cajun fries, while not on the level you'd find with the hand-cut ones in independent restaurants, are well a notch above any of the other fast food chains.

Jollibee was decent, but I've not been inspired to return yet beyond the single time I went there.

I think Mary Brown's chicken might top my list though. Haven't tried Chick-Fil-A due to their controversial history...
I haven't lived in an area with a Mary Brown's in years and I miss that (at least the way I remember them). I haven't had KFC in years - I simply don't like their chicken. We had a Popeyes open here recently and I tried it a couple of times and I don't like it. There's a taste that I can't put my finger (tongue?) on that I don't like. We have a Dixie Lee nearby (I think one of about 3 or 4 in the province) that I prefer. That and Swiss Chalet.

KFC is the Coffee Time of the fried chicken chains, it's at the bottom of pyramid. It really should only be eaten as a last resort. The restaurants are often filthy dirty, the service is slow and horrible, and the food is just awful. I swear they cook the chicken and let it sit out for hours on end, then heat it up when someone orders it. I'm not sure how else they can get chicken so dry? It's truly is one of the worst fast food chains in the country. Years ago they weren't that bad, the one near me when i was growing up had line ups out the door. My family had a lot of good meals at KFC back in the day.

KFC is the Coffee Time of the fried chicken chains, it's at the bottom of pyramid. It really should only be eaten as a last resort. The restaurants are often filthy dirty, the service is slow and horrible, and the food is just awful. I swear they cook the chicken and let it sit out for hours on end, then heat it up when someone orders it. I'm not sure how else they can get chicken so dry? It's truly is one of the worst fast food chains in the country. Years ago they weren't that bad, the one near me when i was growing up had line ups out the door. My family had a lot of good meals at KFC back in the day.

Yes, KFC used to be a lot better a decade or two ago - it’s a sad shadow of it once was. In any case the recipe got leaked anyways.

AoD

In respect of the dryness; I can tell you what's going on, you're pretty close.

They don't heat up the chicken a second time, they never let it cool.

Its cooked and then placed in a warming oven/drawer that keeps it in the food safe temperature range.
Sometimes (peak-meal time) enough stuff is moving that the product is relatively fresh; but often it can sit for quite awhile.
Keeping product that warm, for a long time, is bound to reduce moisture levels.

You can see the holding temperatures below in this inspection report from 2010:

main-qimg-8257aa551465c3b85c1ed2c6f4b3150e-lq

Source: https://www.quora.com/I-always-see-...n-Are-those-still-fried-or-oven-baked-already

As to the rest, I must confess, I think the fries and gravy have been dreck most of my life, I don't really remember them ever tasting good, and the fries have been through a few
different incarnations too.

The Coleslaw is still dull, but at least its not neon-green pablum anymore.

I don't think there's any secret to making better food.

1) Fresh is almost always better than frozen (applies to chicken, beef and french fries)
2) KISS rules matter, ie. Keep it streamlined stupid, Too many QSR places have too many things
on their menu. That drives up costs, (you have to store and refrigerate it all), it also increases the likihood of things being frozen/prepped off-site, because there simply isn't room
nor do staff have the training to execute a large menu.
3) Don't over salt
4) Don't aim to compete primarily on menu-size, as trying to please everyone usually means pleasing no one.
5) Don't aim to compete primarily on price, particularly if you have a product that is actually worth paying good money for....
6) Less volume, more margin.

To bring this thread back to its namesake;

Tim's lost their signature coffee blend to McDs. It wasn't that good, but it did have the virtue of being relatively inoffensive and familiar. They should have forked out the dough to keep what they had.
Tim's had perfectly good doughnuts (30 years ago) and they sought to compete on price and get into smaller store formats by eliminating baking, and using par-baked doughtnuts made in a factory in Brantford.
Unsurprisingly that produces a less appealing doughnut.

Where once they had a smaller product range, but arguably did it decently, they added a variety of new menu items but now do almost all of them badly.

Also, the QSR industry (all of them) need to learn, thou shalt not store tomatoes in the fridge! That kills all the flavour.

Last edited:
Yes, KFC used to be a lot better a decade or two ago - it’s a sad shadow of it once was. In any case the recipe got leaked anyways.

AoD
Believe it or not, Colonel Sanders, yes, the person gracing every KFC (both the restaurants and the buckets themselves), spent the last few decades of his life in Mississauga.

He lived very close to the intersection of Dixie and Queensway East.

Not just that, but MatPat of Game Theory fame managed to replicate the KFC recipe in his Food Theory spinoff:

It ends up being much better than what is actually used in the restaurants themselves. The restaurants' chicken offering is much worse than many other fried chicken restaurant chains' offerings, even in Toronto.

Believe it or not, Colonel Sanders, yes, the person gracing every KFC (both the restaurants and the buckets themselves), spent the last few decades of his life in Mississauga.

He lived very close to the intersection of Dixie and Queensway East.

Not just that, but MatPat of Game Theory fame managed to replicate the KFC recipe in his Food Theory spinoff:

It ends up being much better than what is actually used in the restaurants themselves. The restaurants' chicken offering is much worse than many other fried chicken restaurant chains' offerings, even in Toronto.

Being the place we are, and sometimes having out-sized influence; I wonder if someone from RBI might read this thread and think, "Eurkeka, that's it!" " We need a KFC-flavoured doughnut!" ; it seems like some something "The Biebs" could get behind.

Sigh.

Back