News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 486     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Google Trip Planner comes to GO, TTC, BT

That's why I said they should be bought out. If the TTC had an app like this, I would expect it to be free as a public service. We're talking about public transit after all. An app like this shouldn't have to be made by outsiders.

Although in general you are right. A lot of people including myself don't like to pay for things. I went to see Quantum of Solace to see the new Star Trek trailer, so I paid for that, and the AMC didn't even play the trailer, so I was pissed off. Luckily there's evil people out there who posted it on YouTube, so I didn't have to wait till Monday to see the legit copy on the Star Trek website.

I can almost guarantee that as soon as the transit information is available to Google, all routes will "end" at Steeles Ave, just like every TTC map does even though they provide service to many north/south streets in York Region.

You don't need access to wifi or 3G to get the schedule information in Red Rocket. All the schedules are pre-downloaded, which is useful when you're in the subway and don't have reception. The developers promise to have updates with every TTC sched change.

You mean these maps that clearly show the TTC routes north of Steeles, and YRT, MT etc. routes?

Hah. I'm almost certain that wasn't available on the old website, and I was more referring to all the system maps plastered at bus stops. Not everyone goes online to check maps. Heck, maybe even the map booklets miss that info as well, but I don't usually use those so I don't know.

My point is, there have been numerous occasions in the past where I had to specifically refer to YRT.ca or my YRT route planner booklet to see TTC routes in York Region in their entirety.

Or how about this "helpful" tool that terminates just a block north of Steeles? http://crazedmonkey.com/toronto-transit-map/

Hah. I'm almost certain that wasn't available on the old website ...
The individual tiles weren't - but the "Complete System Map" was there for years. Also known as the "TTC Ride Guide". And for those that don't look at the Internet, the TTC has been handing these out in hardcopy at subway stations and elsewhere for years, if not decades, clearing showing all service north of Steeles. And in recent years at least, the York, Misssissauga, Brampton, Durham, etc., services.

I haven't seen any maps with DRT routes, but as nfitz said, the Ride Guide maps have been out for years. I might even still have some before the internet was a part of everyday life. Those showed the routes from the individual York Region systems (Markham, Vaughan, RH) before they were combined as YRT.

I haven't seen any maps with DRT routes ...
The current Ride Guide on the TTC Website shows Durham Region Transit in the legend as a sequence of Green dots. The only route I see is Route 9 from Rouge Hill GO Station, north on Port Union Road and east on Kingston Road. My hardcopy from fall 2007 shows the same.

The next edition of the map should be interesting, with most of the TTC Limited Service and Rush Hour routes become Regular.

There will still be some branches that will still be rush hours only, the 29A and 96G are examples, and will include2 routes - 503 and 508. I'd like to see consistancy in the ride guide - especially as many BT routes are solid when they should not be - the 31 really should be rush hours only, for example.

CDL suggested a great way of simplifying the branches, or at least the branch designations - for example, make "A" branches be the "full route", and add "X" for each branch. I'd like the idea of "regular" and "frequent" service - basically routes or route segments (ie Wilson where you have both the 96 and 165 or Lawrence with 52 and 58) that run at all times every 15 minutes or better (including Sunday nights) and dashed lines with routes up to the 30 minute minimum. I say 15 minutes because that's about the point people will head to the stop casually without looking at the schedule first.

CDL suggested a great way of simplifying the branches, or at least the branch designations - for example, make "A" branches be the "full route", and add "X" for each branch.

Yeah, I would like to see that if we could convince the TTC to see it as being necessary. Right now, according to the map, giving directions to help someone take the 39 Finch East bus from Finch Station to McCowan would require: "You can take the 39A, 39C, 39D, or 39E. Don't take the 39, 39B, or 39F". I'd like to see: "You can take route 39 branches A through D, if the letter is past D, don't take it".

It would be nice to see the branch letters have real meaning, instead of just standing for a particular branch.

Here's a list of route numbering prefixes and suffixes in Hong Kong, pulled off of Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_bus_route_numbering#Alphabet_prefix)

Alphabet prefix

* Prefix A: Airport deluxe bus routes
* Prefix N: Overnight bus routes
* Prefix T: Recreational bus routes (T stands for tourists)
* Prefix X: Express routes for special services

Alphabet suffix

* Suffix A, B, C, D, E, F: Conventional routes
* Suffix M: Mainly connecting to MTR stations
* Suffix P: Most are peak-hour only routes
* Suffix R: Recreational bus routes
* Suffix S: Peak-hour only routes or special services
* Suffix X: Buses using highways or express services

TTC were asked to look into Google Transit THREE YEARS AGO. Instead we rely on the CrazedMonkey map and myttc.ca and Commission promises of a transit planner. I think they figure they get it done by the time the Leafs next make the playoffs, that will do.

The current Ride Guide on the TTC Website shows Durham Region Transit in the legend as a sequence of Green dots. The only route I see is Route 9 from Rouge Hill GO Station, north on Port Union Road and east on Kingston Road. My hardcopy from fall 2007 shows the same.
This goes back to when that was an APTA route. It's the only DRT route that connects to the TTC at present, sadly, which is probably why it is the only one shown. There may be additional connections added next year according to information in their 2008 service plan but given Durham Region and DRT's tendency to ignore their own plans, I'll believe it when I see it.

Back