News   May 07, 2024
 304     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 294     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 800     3 

Good Toronto ISP (Internet Provider)?

Just venting my recent experience: I have a grandfathered Bell account with unlimited bandwidth. Recently my old modem broke down and Bell said they could send me a new home networking modem instead. Somehow I wasn't thinking straight, agreed, then found out my account type had changed and I lost my grandfathered account. So I argued with them for days but they said it was impossible to change back. I was basically screwed out of my unlimited account.

Here's my recommendation to anyone screwed over by Bell - send an email to Kevin Crull or Andre Oulimar (firstname.lastname@bell.ca). These guys are higher up on the Bell chain and are seemingly more sympathetic to the average user. I emailed and got a response quickly saying that he would give me back my old plan (and let me keep the modem). So now I get to keep my old unlimited account.

Of course, I probably shoudl have just taken the opportunity to switch to TekSaavy altogether, but I'm just lazy and have been with Bell since forever.
Bell likes to do this. They have to inform you that you are losing your existing plan. However, most of the time they do not. Half the time the reps are so out of touch, they don't even know that your plan is going to change with an upgrade of services.

What actual download speed do you get with TekSaavy?

5 mbps, which is what I was getting with Bell on my high speed package of $49.95/month plus $3.95 modem lease.
I'm saving $10 plus no modem lease with Teksavvy. It made no sense to remain with Bell. Plus Teksavvy are pro net neutrality.

ISP recommendations?

I've used Rogers for my ISP for a few years now. I find the service is getting slower and slower - so I'm looking for a new provider.
I used Bell years ago, but am reluctant to go back because of the need for phone filters. I also have the impression that Bell's service is a little unstable.

Who has an ISP they're happy with? Any suggestions?
I'd like to pay less than $35/month.

Thanks!

Try Yak, it's $30/month for high-speed, and there's no downloading limit (stupid Bell charged $30 a month for 2 Gb, wich i didn't even download =O.

It depends on where you are living and what your building has. If you have fibre in the neighbourhood Bell's Max 12 and Max 16 work great. If not you are better off with Rogers. If you are going non-fibre DSL you get the best pricing and there is Yak, Primus, and many others including Bell with the same quality of internet service (not the same customer service) and each has different pricing and limits. DSL without fibre will not be that fast though.

I've used Rogers for my ISP for a few years now. I find the service is getting slower and slower - so I'm looking for a new provider.
I used Bell years ago, but am reluctant to go back because of the need for phone filters. I also have the impression that Bell's service is a little unstable.

Who has an ISP they're happy with? Any suggestions?
I'd like to pay less than $35/month.

Thanks!

call up teksavvy and ask them what kind of service you might be getting. they'll give you an approximation.

and phone filters you can get for free from any bell store. just go in and ask for some. say you're a bell customer.

Wow - thanks for all these responses!
I'm reluctant to go back to DSL. Maybe I'll be tempted someday, but I've just dealt with too many headaches from that technology.
TechSavvy would be my choice though - I'll keep it in mind!
Need to get away from Rogers & Bell. Crazy-makers. :(

Does anyone on this forum have service from Primus? Their package pricing seems to be too good to be true, e.g. $69 for local phone (with 18 features!) PLUS high speed internet with UNLIMITED 7 Mb download :eek:

Would be grateful to hear any experiences with this company.

Does anyone on this forum have service from Primus? Their package pricing seems to be too good to be true, e.g. $69 for local phone (with 18 features!) PLUS high speed internet with UNLIMITED 7 Mb download :eek:

I used their internet service for many years and all was well, until around the start of this year when problems arose. Speeds started slowing down during certain hours, eventually reaching the point that I couldn't even check the weather in the mornings. Eventually I gave up and went to Bell.

I had Primus and other than initial hookup delays I never had any problems. I went back to Bell only because they gave me a huge credit that made them cheaper. I will probably switch back to Primus in a couple of months unless Bell has fibre available in my new home.

I had major issues with them years ago after they bought up my ISP. They had major issues how feed the system from the US as it came through a small pipe line vs. Canada.

I knew more than their tech people and that was saying something.

Haven't check them out in the past few years.

Download is based on the server where you are down from and very few are over 1m. Up load speed is my issue since I upload more than DL.

I drop Roger 100% and went back to Bell and was getting 35% more upload speed as well the same DL speed from Rogers for less.

Our current building has some kind of agreement with Rogers and they wont let Bell in to wire the building for TV for Condos despite the cost being entirely covered by Bell. Even the wiring for home phone isn't great in this building.

Our current building has some kind of agreement with Rogers and they wont let Bell in to wire the building for TV for Condos despite the cost being entirely covered by Bell. Even the wiring for home phone isn't great in this building.

You have a right to campaign your BoD asking them not re-sign the exclusive deal with Rogers when the current contract ends. Further, you could also have it put on the agenda and put to a vote at your next AGM.
Stay away from "Bell for Condos" or whatever it's called, you can't get HD channels which many would oppose. Having no exclusive contract with either provider allows both to offer their services (phone, television and Internet) at more competitive rates within your condo building.

Back