News   May 22, 2024
 819     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 642     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 459     0 

Good Toronto ISP (Internet Provider)?

I don't know if it would be possible with your situation. I use Uniserve on a dry loop.

A dry loop uses the second telephone line most houses and apartments have. The regular telephone line has 4 wires, but use only 2 for a telephone. The other is available for a second telephone line, or a dry loop only for a internet service provider. A filter is then not needed since no telephone is connected. The jack would be rewired to use the second line, unless it has 2 jacks for the 2 lines already.

With cell phone service, the second telephone line is normally available for a dry loop with an ISP.

I'm on Bell, but it seriously sucks if you use torrents. My speeds go below dial-up for downloading. I actually upload faster to peers using torrents than I do download. This is during what they call "peak times". Apparently 12am is peak times, who knew.

Of course the CRTC is going to be releasing their decision if what Bell is doing is okay or not, soon.

CRTC delayed the decision into November (second time).....

This is a very bad sign. It typically means that they are working on the wording for a publicly unpopular decision.

CRTC delayed the decision into November (second time).....

This is a very bad sign. It typically means that they are working on the wording for a publicly unpopular decision.

Delayed? Ugh! We'll see. I'm trying to remain positive about this, despite not having much faith in the CRTC.

I find it hard to believe that as a business, I can't get a non general-public company to come hook me up to high speed.

Networks were always my bottleneck in technology knowledge... :(

Globalive (Yak) is primed to become Canada's next serious contender in communications with their significant purchase of the newly available wireless spectrum. I just found out that Yak currently offers internet.

Does anybody know which company's technology they use? Bell? Rogers?

Oh... so I guess I might as well go straight to Teksaavy.

There are a number of reasonably good DSL providers available. I went with Teksavvy - and I have been happy. With DSL it is better - if you learn a little bit about the setup and testing it to see what performance you are getting - because all of the DSL providers have to use Bell Technicians - which are either totally incompetent or playing games (3MB profile when you technically should get 5MB etc.). Installation may go smoothly, but not always since you have to go through Bell Technicians.

As far as customer support, I have been happy with Teksavvy. I found their accountants actually more competent than Rogers Tech support (which just takes you through scripts etc - not really knowing what they are doing). You can contact TSI employees and support through DSLreports.com website (Teksavvy forum).

Again, there are a number of good DSL providers out there (other than Bell)....

There are a number of reasonably good DSL providers available. I went with Teksavvy - and I have been happy. With DSL it is better - if you learn a little bit about the setup and testing it to see what performance you are getting - because all of the DSL providers have to use Bell Technicians - which are either totally incompetent or playing games (3MB profile when you technically should get 5MB etc.). Installation may go smoothly, but not always since you have to go through Bell Technicians.

As far as customer support, I have been happy with Teksavvy. I found their accountants actually more competent than Rogers Tech support (which just takes you through scripts etc - not really knowing what they are doing). You can contact TSI employees and support through DSLreports.com website (Teksavvy forum).

Again, there are a number of good DSL providers out there (other than Bell)....

I'm looking at switching from Rogers to Teksaavy in a month or so--I'm assuming I'll have to pay for a DSL modem as I have a cable modem with Rogers and Cogeco before it. Is there much of a difference in speed? I was pleased with Cogeco when I had it and in spite of some other issues with Rogers internet I was also generally pleased with speeds when it wasn't being throttled.

I'm looking at switching from Rogers to Teksaavy in a month or so--I'm assuming I'll have to pay for a DSL modem as I have a cable modem with Rogers and Cogeco before it. Is there much of a difference in speed? I was pleased with Cogeco when I had it and in spite of some other issues with Rogers internet I was also generally pleased with speeds when it wasn't being throttled.

yes, you have to buy a modem. it is cheaper to by the same modem from an online retailer, and use it.

I switched from Rogers and I have not noticed any difference - maybe slightly quicker response (latency). Rogers may be quicker at direct downloads, but not enough to warrant paying an extra $25 or so for that privilege. If you don't download/upload more than 300GB, the premium package is suppose to have better routing/latency (and cheaper). With DSL it all depends on how far you are from the remote/co that you are connected to.

Thanks for the info--it works for me. Time to search for a good retailer for the modem.

I've used Teksavvy for the past few years--very satisfactory.

The down/up speeds depend on the length of telephone wire between your DSL modem and the phone company's modem: increasingly, the latter is located in a box on some nearby street rather than in the telephone company's local central office, but I believe you can phone Teksavvy technical support before you order the service to get an idea of the likely speeds in your case.

I have something like 2KM of wire on my connection, which is usually 4Mbits/sec download and 700Mbits/sec upload. The asymmetry of down/up is always at least 4:1 for residential DSL and usually increases as the download speed (ADSLv2+ is something like 10:1).

To get any faster upload on DSL requires symmetrical DSL, which if it is available at all, is extremely expensive.

Back