156     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 584     0 

GO + TTC, transfer?

Noodles

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to move to R. Hill and start a new life as a commuter to Downtown.
My idea would be to ride the GO train Langstaff-Union S. and then catch a streetcar.
Byuing the Go weekly or monthly pass, would allow me to ride the TTC with no extra charge?
Please, share your knowledge!

Thanks

Nood

Byuing the Go weekly or monthly pass, would allow me to ride the TTC with no extra charge?

Not in this city it won't. An entire 20 km commute from Richmond Hill will cost you $4.00, but to travel an extra 5 stops on the TTC will cost you another $2.75. That's how things are done in Toronto.

I would recommend implementing the strategy that I used a few years ago, when by coincidence I also rode the train in from Langstaff and finished off the trip with a 3 minute subway ride. I used to drop a dime into the fare box while the TTC worker finished off his crossword puzzle, and it worked like a charm.

Or, if you don't want to get arrested, you could consider a GTA weekly pass. $47.00 per week, valid on all regular fare services on TTC, YRT (one zone only), Brampton and Mississauga Transit.

Not in this city it won't. An entire 20 km commute from Richmond Hill will cost you $4.00, but to travel an extra 5 stops on the TTC will cost you another $2.75. That's how things are done in Toronto.

I would recommend implementing the strategy that I used a few years ago, when by coincidence I also rode the train in from Langstaff and finished off the trip with a 3 minute subway ride. I used to drop a dime into the fare box while the TTC worker finished off his crossword puzzle, and it worked like a charm.

Let me know the exact time and place you plan on doing this again and I'll make sure you're arrested :) ... don't let the smilie fool you ... I'm not joking.

thanks!

but how about

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/timestwo.htm

it seems we can get the transfer, or am I wrong?

You are wrong ...

The idea behind that is if you take the TTC to a go station ... take the go bus / train ... and then need to use the TTC again < you can use the transfer here again.

Hence the "times two" ... it's only really useful if your trip originates in Toronto and ends in Toronto requiring a go train connection in between ... which is pretty rare to say the least and I really wonder how many people if any take advantage of this.

We should implement something along the lines of what the YRT has in terms of GO connections but I wonder if they are subsided for this.

Word on the street is that many operators do not know about the TTC times Two program and have hassled people - even when they rider brought a printout of the website with them.

Let me know the exact time and place you plan on doing this again and I'll make sure you're arrested :) ... don't let the smilie fool you ... I'm not joking.

Heh heh. Uh, it's not a very effective threat if he has to warn you in advance in order to get caught.

Heh, I have a friend who lives in Whitby and works this summer at Yonge/Eglinton. He commutes by DRT Bus/GO Train/Subway!

Imagine the fares!

I'm also confused by this comment ...

If you travel by TTC from 427 across to Markham road and then all the way North or South I'm sure you've done over 20km ... more like 40 or so ... for only 2.75...

If you are referring to the lack of go connection subsidies that's another story.

For those that want to arrest me, you'll be pleased to know that I currently subscribe to an overpriced Metropass, so no more fare evading.

taal, that proves the point. Why should people travelling from the 427 to Rouge Hill pay so much less than people from Thornhill, a significantly shorter distance. Never mind the fact that they pay the same amount as somebody going three stops downtown.

I thought the point of this thread was the transfer between GO and some other local transit system.

In any case I agree a regional fare system based on distance may be the way to go ... but not until the infrastructure is there to support it i.e. presto or whatever it's called.

In either case we'll still to make sure everyone actually *pays* for the system to be effective :)

slightly off topic but does anyone have any idea of how often riders get caught on TTC street cars or VIVA buses for not paying ... some percentage maybe or how much both systems lose because of it?

Back