News   Jun 03, 2024
 105     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 554     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.3K     9 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The GO trains I occasionally use for my 50 minute trip to Union are standing room only with ~40 minutes still to go to Union......it never dawned on me that no one can afford GO fares......who knew?

Who said no body takes GO? I certainly didn't. GO trains carry 220,000 passengers a day so has a solid patronage. My point was that with the billions spent on the new & improved stations, endless parking garages, grade separations, more track, and much higher frequencies over the last couple of years, the results have been horrible. GO is only going up by the rate of population growth. Billions spent and over the last 3 years ridership has only increased by a good bus route...………...not exactly good value for the money. By this one can logically assume that spending billions more won't make much difference either. It's great for political ribbon cuttings but the population isn't excited in the slightest or they would be getting on-board.

About 75,000 Torontonians take GO everyday compared to the 2.7 million who take the TTC. GO comes in from every area of the city yet people are still packing onto the buses and hyperventilate on the subways to get there slower. It's not because they don't want to get to work in a more comfortable or faster fashion but due to one simple fact...……….they can't afford it.

Who said no body takes GO? I certainly didn't. GO trains carry 220,000 passengers a day so has a solid patronage. My point was that with the billions spent on the new & improved stations, endless parking garages, grade separations, more track, and much higher frequencies over the last couple of years, the results have been horrible. GO is only going up by the rate of population growth. Billions spent and over the last 3 years ridership has only increased by a good bus route...………...not exactly good value for the money. By this one can logically assume that spending billions more won't make much difference either. It's great for political ribbon cuttings but the population isn't excited in the slightest or they would be getting on-board.

About 75,000 Torontonians take GO everyday compared to the 2.7 million who take the TTC. GO comes in from every area of the city yet people are still packing onto the buses and hyperventilate on the subways to get there slower. It's not because they don't want to get to work in a more comfortable or faster fashion but due to one simple fact...……….they can't afford it.
You said no one could afford GO fares I pointed out lots of people are riding GO so, clearly, a lot of people can.

Doug should pay the 500 or so million to get service there and then do the bypass. Cutting it off at Bramalea is lazy and would hurt ridership.

They should serious look at doing something for Milton, and Richmond Hill as well, until the DRL comes on line at least.
people are aware that the blockage caused by CN ownership starts east of Bramalea....before you look for ways to extend the service beyond Bramalea, you have to get it into Bramalea

Who said no body takes GO? I certainly didn't. GO trains carry 220,000 passengers a day so has a solid patronage. My point was that with the billions spent on the new & improved stations, endless parking garages, grade separations, more track, and much higher frequencies over the last couple of years, the results have been horrible. GO is only going up by the rate of population growth.

What new track? Hourly 2WAD to the central portions of the route is all we have seen. More track, more service. Get service to 30 mins on all routes and we will see the growth. Provided, that is, that people can get to the stations. I have driven to Aurora and ended up at Pioneer Village because every GO lot on the Barrie line was full.

Can’t afford is a bit strong. Don’t see the added value of paying another $3.50, certainly. Limited number of stations within the 416 and location of existing stations is a big disincentive. Hence Smarttrack, in its true version as just more GO stations.

- Paul

Not to mention that GO rail really only services the downtown core. If I recall correctly, only about 30% of people in the labour pool work downtown. So for most Toronto workers, GO rail doesn't take them where they need to "GO."

Not to mention that GO rail really only services the downtown core. If I recall correctly, only about 30% of people in the labour pool work downtown. So for most Toronto workers, GO rail doesn't take them where they need to "GO."
Hey, no fair. The Barrie line stops at Downsview Park on the University-Spadina line and is to add stops on the Eglinton LRT (Caledonia), Bloor-Danforth line (Lansdowne), and at Spadina and Front. The Richmond Hill line stops, in theory, at the Sheppard line (Leslie-Oriole), although that's kind of a disaster. There's further integration and changeover in the west and east ends (Exhibition GO, Main St., etc).

Hey, no fair. The Barrie line stops at Downsview Park on the University-Spadina line and is to add stops on the Eglinton LRT (Caledonia), Bloor-Danforth line (Lansdowne), and at Spadina and Front. The Richmond Hill line stops, in theory, at the Sheppard line (Leslie-Oriole), although that's kind of a disaster. There's further integration and changeover in the west and east ends (Exhibition GO, Main St., etc).
Kitchener line already has 4 stops in the 416 area code and has 2 more to come.

Guys. That is true. But a stop in the middle of a former aircraft hanger / convention centre (aka The International Centre) connected to nothing illustrates the point. ie. Malton GO.

Only networked stops count. Unlike many here, I focus less on whether Line X will have this traffic or that traffic. But everything needs to be tied together and that had largely escaped GO until the past 5 years. It was great if you lived close to a line in a suburb and worked downtown Monday to Friday.

You may be right, but the revenue lost for reduced short distance GO fares (if any was actually lost) is a pittance compared to the revenue holes that scrapping cap and trade/reducing gas tax/subsidizing cheaper hydro will cause.
Rob Ford scrapped cookies at City Council "to save money". These guys only care whether the Toronto Sun/Pestmedia/CFRB will approve of a particular cut and will overlook something like cap and trade which consumers never see on their bills anyway and thus have only Tories to believe on how much it impacts them.

It is time to put pen to paper, young sir and write to your MPP.
Doug made a rural/exurban MPP the Minister of Transportation. Democratic process is going to have a tough time. This is a government term for backroom boys and lobbyists.

Doug made a rural/exurban MPP the Minister of Transportation. Democratic process is going to have a tough time. This is a government term for backroom boys and lobbyists.
I wrote this previously, but I believe it to be true. He’s as thin skinned and vain as Trump. He will want to be liked.

Back