News   Apr 26, 2024
 330     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 187     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 644     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

dail a bus is a long standing concept. Dunbarton (now Pickering) had dial a bus services in the 1970's as well. My father used them to get to the GO station in the mornings for many years.
Durham Region Transit had dial a bus service in Ajax and Pickering as late as (roughly) 2009 or so. They had inherited this late evening and Sunday service from APTA and ran it that way for a year or two before migrating to fixed routes.

Oakville had "Zone Buses" - basically dial-a-bus, on Sundays and late evenings. The four zones' mini-buses would all meet at Oakville GO Station; those passengers could transfer between them, or to/from GO Stations. For a pick-up anywhere but Oakville GO, you'd have to call ahead to an operator. At Oakville GO, you'd just hop on a bus and tell the driver your destination. With better Oakville Transit service hours, the dial-a-bus was phased out.

Late nights, there is still a drop-off service from the GO Station available, with similar zones. No pick-ups, though.
http://www.oakvilletransit.ca/late-night-service.html

Another GO train crash. This one hit a tow truck near Lisgar GO, driver is dead.

Screen shot 2015-10-30 at 10.29.43 AM.png

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10/30/1-dead-after-go-train-hits-tow-truck.html

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-10-30 at 10.29.43 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-30 at 10.29.43 AM.png
    398.5 KB · Views: 1,002
Just saw this tweet from GO--wow. I certainly hope there is never an emergency and passengers assume the intercom button, that looks like an emergency intercom, can be used to request assistance.

It looks like the metal plate is affixed by 4 screws. They couldn't possibly remove that and cover the hole with material? Or even just cover the intercom with something? Incredible.

Reactions: PL1
Just saw this tweet from GO--wow. I certainly hope there is never an emergency and passengers assume the intercom button, that looks like an emergency intercom, can be used to request assistance.

It looks like the metal plate is affixed by 4 screws. They couldn't possibly remove that and cover the hole with material? Or even just cover the intercom with something? Incredible.

They probably don't bother because zero people would ever bother with it under any circumstance. Seriousl straw-grasping to whine about trivial garbage around here today. Absolutely embarrassing.

They probably don't bother because zero people would ever bother with it under any circumstance. Seriousl straw-grasping to whine about trivial garbage around here today. Absolutely embarrassing.

Calm down there, Metrolinx employee. Yeah, I can never imagine there being any sort of emergency on one of your trains, that would be nuts...

It was only delayed that badly because the YRP seemingly has a total and complete lack of common sense and wanted to do a full download at the scene delaying thousands of commuters instead of simply waiting until the train was yarded in Barrie for what amounted to a minor incident. Injuries or a fatality is one thing, but taking the bumper off a car is no reason to shut down an entire line for 1.5 hours. Just smh, our tax dollars hard at work :rolleyes:

For those who care, GO locomotive #647 returned to Ontario today on a CN freight train.

The almost-brand-new locomotive was plucked from service a couple years ago and sent to Boise Idaho to be rebuilt to meet Tier 4 emission standards.

The move to Tier 4 is a commitment made to the citizens of Weston early in the UPX/Georgetown South Project. The loco is a prototype and as yet its diesel engine is unproven. Which puts it somewhere between the Delorean and the Tesla in terms of being a viable solution for Toronto. But you gotta start someplace, I guess.

Let's hope that it's at least as good as the standard GO locomotive that it began life as.

- Paul

I was wondering how much power they sacrificed for this - but I'm reading it's now rated at 5400 HP up from 4000 HP. Is that accurate? I guess the proof will be in the pudding though.

Back