News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 841     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I'd imagine most people probably don't have readily available alternative plans for the random stations they might get stuck at along their journey. Though I do suppose it's better to at least be moving slowly than not at all.

There is not a station on my GO line that I could not get home from in under 3 hours by alternate transit (assuming I did not just call someone and explain I needed picked up).......is it much different for other lines?

Most GO trips I take, go to stations with other transit options. Taking MiWay back from Clarkson, TTC from Rouge Hill, or VIVA from Unionville might not be as fast. But at least you're moving, and not stuck on a GO Train for 3 hours.

How do you get to a station? Everyone I know who has experienced an incident like this has said the train holds position and no one is allowed to leave. It does not move to the next station. This includes the time a friend was on a train at 1am that struck a pedestrian about 100 metres outside of Clarkson. No one was allowed off for hours. The sun was rising when he got home.

How do you get to a station? Everyone I know who has experienced an incident like this has said the train holds position and no one is allowed to leave. It does not move to the next station. This includes the time a friend was on a train at 1am that struck a pedestrian about 100 metres outside of Clarkson. No one was allowed off for hours.
I think that is Nfitz' point........those trains should stop at the next station in extreme/long emergencies........and allow passengers to either wait it out on the train or get off and take an alternate route home.

I think that is Nfitz' point........those trains should stop at the next station in extreme/long emergencies........and allow passengers to either wait it out on the train or get off and take an alternate route home.
Ah I see. That comment was on the previous page for me.

There is not a station on my GO line that I could not get home from in under 3 hours by alternate transit (assuming I did not just call someone and explain I needed picked up).......is it much different for other lines?

I have little doubt that people on delayed trains behind the incident will/should get to their destination long before the people who are stuck on the train involved will, but chances are you'll still be significantly delayed. And by "you" I don't mean anyone on this forum in particular, I mean in general.

Anyhow the whole point was that many trains are going to be effected in case of an incident. You could say Nfitz was correct in saying that with more trains being out there the chances of your train being the one involved in an incident is less.Though keep in mind more trains operating will likely result in more trespassers incidents. But more trains means a greater amount of people overall will be effected by the incident.

How do you get to a station? Everyone I know who has experienced an incident like this has said the train holds position and no one is allowed to leave. It does not move to the next station. This includes the time a friend was on a train at 1am that struck a pedestrian about 100 metres outside of Clarkson. No one was allowed off for hours. The sun was rising when he got home.
We were referring to all the other trains that were delayed, after I made the point that those on the actual incident train itself were going to be stuck for hours.

I'd imagine most people probably don't have readily available alternative plans for the random stations they might get stuck at along their journey. Though I do suppose it's better to at least be moving slowly than not at all.
It takes about a minute with Google Transit on a mobile to come up with an alternative plan. Though is it that difficult to figure out the closest TTC routes for any GO station in Toronto. Or MiWay routes in Mississsauga.

Fortunately, most people seem to wander around like lemmings ... they are the folks you see standing at Bloor waiting an hour for the bus shuttles to get to Queen, rather than simply walking for 20 minutes down the hill. Making it easier for those of us who can think on our feet ...

I have little doubt that people on delayed trains behind the incident will/should get to their destination long before the people who are stuck on the train involved will, but chances are you'll still be significantly delayed. And by "you" I don't mean anyone on this forum in particular, I mean in general.

Anyhow the whole point was that many trains are going to be effected in case of an incident. You could say Nfitz was correct in saying that with more trains being out there the chances of your train being the one involved in an incident is less.Though keep in mind more trains operating will likely result in more trespassers incidents. But more trains means a greater amount of people overall will be effected by the incident.
Yes delays in major situations will be significant.....i just think the complaints/backlash get reduced if you give people a choice to get off and make alternate arrangements or hang in on the GO train till the incident is cleared.

Fortunately these things don't happen all that often.

As for making the process quicker that's almost entirely out of GO's hands. Essentially what it would require is a fundamental change in the way police conduct investigations of this nature, which needless to say is quite unlikely to occur.

I agree that GO can't solve it alone, but one would hope that the provincial and municipal authorities would agree that the current practice is unacceptable and form some sort of inter-agency team to solve it. We pay them to work together.

Certainly, incidents on the TTC don't take this long to clear. Nor do all but the most serious highway incidents. In some cases, the full rigour may be necessary, but this should be the exception.

I don't know what training the average police officer gets about railway incidents. These are infrequent enough that training a large number probably isn't practical. So it's a challenge, but one that should be looked at.

- Paul

Certainly, incidents on the TTC don't take this long to clear. Nor do all but the most serious highway incidents.
There's been extensive closures before when people have jumped or thrown someone off overpasses into moving traffic before. I think you may be confusing accidents and suicides.

What if there is an epidemic, like during a major world/economic shock, more bankruptcies, house market crash, etc. Suicide rate doubles (from very rare to less rare). In the RER era, of course. Some potential efficiencies I can see:

- Cameras on the locomotive, forward, sideways, and back-facing (on little bumps). If that is something train drivers are comfortable with. This provides the video surveillance needed, to reduce investigation time.

- A better database of multiple coroners. Often, the favoured or nearest coronor isn't necessarily the one able to reach the site fastest. Build a database of all of them along a transit route, and get two enroute concurrently. Pay all of them, but the first one that shows, does the gruesome work.

- Site access sped up with a site acess plan, like more vans or pickup trucks with deployable railwheels, stationed at strategic points along the route. Less back and fourth time trying to get access. This is for making other purposes such as maintenance and fixing switches more efficient too, so this expense would not just be for this situation.

- Improved dispatching system (if needed) for the replacement crew integrated with dispatch for coronor, as they may need to ride in via the same access if it is found more efficient; It is a real technology endeavour, Coronor Dispatch Systems actually exist and they are always being improved on (e.g. this powerpoint)

- More trespassing protection. There has historically been clusters of problem areas - partly because of larger number of grade crossings

- Retrospective analysis for each incident. Find the weak links. Get Metrolinx to research what the police appreciates, e.g. Less waiting for coronor, or easier access, etc. See what tweaks

With various combinations above, the bottleneck will usually simply be train crew replacement (a logistics that Metrolinx can more control themselves). Save an hour or two total, which can affect 50,000 people in transit during peak hour on one line.

It may not be needed now but the low lying apples like locomotive cams, need to be looked into. Car dash cams cost only 50 bucks, begin with a couple of those from the window, and later expand to a higher end system that mounts on the outside.

Last edited:
- A better database of multiple coroners. Often, the favoured or nearest coronor isn't necessarily the one able to reach the site fastest. Build a database of all of them along a transit route, and get two enroute concurrently. Pay all of them, but the first one that shows, does the gruesome work.

This isn't likely to be practical. Most coroners are practicing physicians who handle death duties on an on-call, when- available basis. They treat the living patients first - the deceased don't need their services as urgently. Tieing up two for one incident puts an undue strain on an overstretched health system.

In other jurisdictions, once the first responders cease lifesaving support and secure the remains, the scene is often partially reopened. I have crawled by tarpaulins covering remains on the 401, and I have seen photos of same on Metro North. It's unpleasant for viewers but it gets things moving again.

- More trespassing protection. There has historically been clusters of problem areas - partly because of larger number of grade crossings.

This may actually be the most effective solution - I haven't heard of a single trespasser fatality on the UPX, with all the improved fencing on this line.

The issue in this for me is the health and safety issue of having so many people bottled up for so long. Having to wait a couple of hours is sometimes just life, and we all have to suck it up (though if this happens frequently, for any reason, we ought to be concerned ) but having people stuck on a train where they dont have access to food, water, or emergency medical response is scary. And crowd issues are dangerous too.

- Paul

This isn't likely to be practical. Most coroners are practicing physicians who handle death duties on an on-call, when- available basis. They treat the living patients first - the deceased don't need their services as urgently. Tieing up two for one incident puts an undue strain on an overstretched health system.

In other jurisdictions, once the first responders cease lifesaving support and secure the remains, the scene is often partially reopened. I have crawled by tarpaulins covering remains on the 401, and I have seen photos of same on Metro North. It's unpleasant for viewers but it gets things moving again.

This may actually be the most effective solution - I haven't heard of a single trespasser fatality on the UPX, with all the improved fencing on this line.

The issue in this for me is the health and safety issue of having so many people bottled up for so long. Having to wait a couple of hours is sometimes just life, and we all have to suck it up (though if this happens frequently, for any reason, we ought to be concerned ) but having people stuck on a train where they dont have access to food, water, or emergency medical response is scary. And crowd issues are dangerous too.

- Paul
Not this particular train, but...

I was on a GO car that had broken airconditioning (one I reported to GO) during a sunny 30+ day. It was like an oven in there, warmer in that coach than outdoors.

If it was standing room and they had to stay on that for 3 hours, we'd probably be witnessing at least one emergency window opened on a life-and-death basis...

Last edited:
I rode the first southbound Barrie line service yesterday and was surprised to see them running 10-car trainsets as opposed to the 6-car trainsets they normally use on weekends.

It turns out that this change was extremely justified, the car was almost completely full arriving at Union (all but a couple seats filled). I walked the length of the train at Union, and the rest of the cars seemed to be just as full if not more, and the platform was absolutely crammed. That's well over a thousand passengers on a single train, an absolutely phenomenal turnout for a limited weekend GO service!

The CNE is on. Given that 30-minute Lakeshore service is not sufficient, with the most crowded GO cars I've even seen, it's not surprising.

Back