News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Eventually I think GO will build a tons of parking lots and garages. Even existing buildings will be demolished and replaced with parkng lots, like what happened in inner city Detroit. This is not a big change for most stations sicne they located in the middle of nowhere anyways, but some stations are in urban locations and if these old neighbourhoods are razed it will be a huge loss. Streetsville, Brampton, Port Credit stations come to mind. This is why the prospect of GO expansion makes me uneasy.

I don't see why some areas around GO stations can't receive huge parking garages while others are redeveloped with residences and jobs and stores and little or no additional parking. If people are driving to the station anyway, make them drive to certain stations instead of any station...if, say, every other GO station gets a parking garage or two, how much hardship would that really be in terms of forcing drivers to drive longer to get to a station? Not much, especially if local transit is improved simultaneously.

^ I'm with you. Travel times from Langstaff GO could be in the range of 25 - 30 minutes, and service every 15 minutes would do wonders. It would be possible, but likely only with DMUs or EMUs and massive upgrades.

Well, it's certainly going to be an uphill battle. Langstaff is 20 km north of Union Station, however GO takes 35 minutes to complete the trip. By comparison, Oakville is 36 km from Union Station, and the express train takes 25 minutes. If express service was provided to Langstaff, the route was made more direct, and the trains travelled as fast as they do on the Lakeshore line, Langstaff would be only 14 minutes from Union.

If that could be accomplished, GO would be much more desirable than the subway. But because the current route is so curvy and reaches as far east as Victoria Park before heading back to Union, the subway would actually be about 25% faster than the GO train if both served Langstaff given that the subway also drops you off closer to your office than the train. Unless GO is massively overhauled, there's hardly even a point providing a direct connection to the subway at Langstaff. If anything, you'll see hundreds of people switching from the GO train to the subway, especially if GO is extended north.

The lease Temporary 300 parking lot at Clarkson is supposed to open this weekend subject to weather.

GO is leasing the Canadian Tire lands until someone comes along with a plan the will fly by the local councilors who has shot down a few plans for this area.

Nothing is happen to finish off the Clarkson bridge that should have been finished before the bridge went up a few weeks ago.

The eastern section of Platform 1 is close now and work has started on the rebuilding of the platform.

At present time, riders will still be able to use the east tunnel to get to Platform 2, but will be close once works starts on extending the tunnel under the new track.

The elevator is to go where the current west tunnel is and only shaking my head on this location.

All GO stations are to have elevators by 2011 at far cry of 2020. GO will then start adding a 2nd elevator to the station and that is long over due now.

GO is hoping to have 30 minute service on the Lake Shore in late 2009 and too far off now. It only require 5 cabs, loco and 25 coaches to do the 30 minutes starting in 2009.

The parking at Bramalea has 1700 or so parking spots and I would say there are are around 50-100 extra cars in the lot sometimes...

30-min Lakeshore Service

Ok, I'll admit it; I'm confused.

Why does GO need additional rolling stock to run 30-min service?

They already run service at or above that mark during Rush Hour.

Does this not suggest they have enough rolling stock to do that all-day?

Ok, I'll admit it; I'm confused.

Why does GO need additional rolling stock to run 30-min service?

They already run service at or above that mark during Rush Hour.

Does this not suggest they have enough rolling stock to do that all-day?

What drum is saying is that they need to take those trains from idle and put them into service. They don't need to *order* any more.

Ahhhhh

Thanks Rocket; that clarifies what Drum meant, which now makes sense.

What it doesn't explain is GO's dawdling in implementing this much needed service improvement!

They could even phase it in, say adding weekday mid-day at 30min, then later adding evenings and weekends.

Well, I'd have to assume that there are issues in getting railroad approval for 30 minute service, other than for those portions of Lakeshore East that GO owns.

Still it's good to hear a specific timeframe for this happening. Going from 60 minute to 30 minute service will make a huge difference in being able to support "less well planned" trips. :)

I think it's quite possible that once the success of 30 minute frequencies on the lakeshore line are seen, it will become the new standard for all day service on all lines. Of course, upgrades will be necessary beyond what is already approved in the quick wins.

GO is hoping to have 30 minute service on the Lake Shore in late 2009 and too far off now. It only require 5 cabs, loco and 25 coaches to do the 30 minutes starting in 2009.
As someone who lives near Danforth station, this would be great news! I'd like to see every 20-minute service, but every 30-minute is the first step in that direction.

Out of curiosity, what is the source of information?

As someone else posted, equipment is sitting idle. The stations are already staffed, so the main issue is having the crews available (and I'm sure the crews will be happy to have more crews not working a split-shift).

(just reading some history. GO started running hourly service in September 1967; so that's 42 years to upgrade to 2 trains per hour (tph); at this rate they would get to every 20-minute service (3 tph) in 2051 and every 15-minute service (4 tph) in 2093. Though Metrolinx seems to be about to promise it before 2035).

GO needs more equipment to run 30 minute service as the idle equipment has to be use for peak service. Weekend is a different story.

GO need 5 more train sets and they do not have to be full length. As it stands now, you can get away with a 5 car train for off peak weekday when no events are taking place in TO. This is both during the day, but more so at night. Weekends could see the same thing. You still need 5 Cab cars and Engines to go 30.

Doing this will provide a better window for riders to travel using GO more than exist today. Not fun to have your late bus arrive at a GO station and have to wait close to an hour as you just miss the train. The same can be said where bus routes are not time to connect with GO to the point you have to take a bus before you have to just to catch the 60 minute service.

The first issue in putting service on the rail is equipment and train crews. Train crew is the real issue since you have to train new crews You will need 21 new crew minimum to start service plus spares.

Bombardier has their hands full trying to train crews now and a reason why service as been cancel. Every train I have got on these past few weeks during the day, there is no less than 2 extra crews learning the line. Even when trains are heading east, you can find 2-6 crew personal in the cab car wearing black golf shirts with Bombardier name under GO logo. The train I was on last week, the trainer had TH&B jacket on.

The next issue is track space and this becomes a dispatching challenge, especially in the west. Most of the 3rd track is in place in the east and the west is going starting to get it now. 2009 will be a heafack between Port Credit and Oakville as the new 3rd tack is being built. The bottle neck will be between Clarkson and Port Credit where major retaining wall will have to be built first to hold the 3rd track in place. No work has started in this area yet.

The current main lines (2) in Oakville yard will be relocated to the very south end of the yard as well adding the 3rd. From the looks of things, there will be 5 tracks going under Royal Windsor Dr from the current 2. A 4th track will cut into the current track 2 west of Ford Dr on the south side with the new track track 1 on the north.

GO can phase in 30 minutes starting in Jan 2009 subject to crews. GO is supposed to have all 27 new engines here by the end of Sept, but more like Oct. There are still problems with these new engines that 607 has been sent to Sarina for warranty work. Another order has been place for 26 more. 35 coaches are on order and some have arrived, but will not meet the requirements in the pipeline. Some of the exist engines will be retire with the arrival of the new engines this year.

all I know is that there is serious rail congestion in the morning near Bramalea station.

I remember there was the 7:30 ariving and the 7:40 coming in (it leaves from that station) and a freight train and a Via Train trying to get by.

GO needs more equipment to run 30 minute service as the idle equipment has to be use for peak service. Weekend is a different story.

Any idea why the rail lines other than Lakeshore do not have any service on weekends? Would it not make some sense to run the same limited service on weekends as there is during the week?

Other than that it fascinates me watching the debates on how we get from every hour off peak to 30 minutes in 2009 and how 30 minutes is ok but we really should be shooting for 20 minutes.......I assume everyone lives on the Lakeshore because the debate has totally leaped over how we get any off peak service!

Any idea why the rail lines other than Lakeshore do not have any service on weekends? Would it not make some sense to run the same limited service on weekends as there is during the week?
Which is why all-day service is coming to other lines over the coming works. Others can give you timelines, I"m sure.

Also, from the Globe and Mail leak a few weeks ago, it looks like next weeks' Metrolinx RTP will recommend 15 minute all day service on most lines.

Back