News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Working with the people who design the system, i fundamentally disagree with that statement.

The trend in the past was to move people downtown in the morning and out-of-town in the afternoon. It's hard to shake trends, but saying that they only care about park-and-rides is downright wrong

Yeah, that's why GO's 407 York U route serves the giant park-and-ride lots at Bramalea and Meadowvale, but not the nearby major transit terminals at Bramalea CC and Meadowvale TC.

The trend in the past was to move people downtown in the morning and out-of-town in the afternoon. It's hard to shake trends, but saying that they only care about park-and-rides is downright wrong

Note the bold.

^ What is your point? Not only does the 407 route not serve downtown, it also has traffic in both direction, but it still only serves park-and-ride lots. Hell, they even had to build a park-and-ride lot at Square One.

My point is that GO has built lines to serve park and rides in the past, and its difficult to shake that trend. But, it is changing. It's not going to happen overnight, but they are changing. Service to Bolton and Orangeville is expanding, and neither have any commuter parking currently in use. That's just one example.

In addition, Brampton is the only part of the 407 route that doesn't have service to a major terminal and only stops at the edge of town.

47 - Could have easily ended at McMaster, but was extended to Hamilton GO Centre
46 - Could have easily ended at Trafalgar Carpool, but goes to Oakville GO and Sheridan College
48 - Could have easily ended at Aberfoyle Park & Ride, but goes to U of G

52 - Could have easily ended at any number of spots in North Durham, but goes to downtown Oshawa
54 - Could have easily ended at Unionville GO, but snakes its way through Markham to Mount Joy GO

So clearly, the 407 route does not *just* serve park and rides.

GO studies Guelph-Toronto rail service

cool
Trains could run as often as every 20 minutes during rush hour, GO Transit says
May 13, 2008 09:04 AM
Magda Konieczna
Guelph Mercury

GUELPH-GO rail service could be coming to Guelph.

GO Transit decided last week to start a study of what it would take and how big the customer base would be.

There could eventually be a train every 20 minutes during rush hour - heading to Toronto in the morning and back to Guelph and beyond in the evening - and every hour outside of rush times.

But it would take years to get to that point. For now, GO Transit has hired engineering consultant R.J. Burnside to do an environmental assessment, which could take until early 2009.

GO Transit could initially add two trains from Guelph to Georgetown, where passengers could transfer into the existing GO service, said Greg Ashbee, GO Transit's manager of rail expansion programs.

"It would be very significant" if Guelph got GO service, said Rajan Philips, a transportation planner with the city.

When GO Transit launched rail service to Barrie in December, the service was packed almost right away.

But Guelph is a bit different, Philips said, because we don't have the same proportion of people leaving for work. The bigger trend here is the double-income family with one person working outside Guelph, often heading down Highway 401 to get there, he said.

GO Transit offered rail service to Guelph from 1990 to 1993. It didn't do too well because it didn't offer commuters the option of staying at work later if they needed to, Ashbee said.

"When there were cutbacks, you lop off the ends of the lines, especially in corridors that don't have significant ridership."

It's unclear whether the city would have to pitch in for the service. None of the municipalities serviced by GO Transit pay operating costs, but they help pay for expansions to service. When GO came to Barrie, the city paid a third of the cost for the new station and for track improvements, Ashbee said.

In the meantime, all stripes of politicians seem supportive of the potential for new service.

"There's a huge pent-up demand for commuter rail service to Toronto," said Mayor Karen Farbridge.

"We're playing catch-up on work that didn't happen when it should have," Guelph MPP Liz Sandals said.

"It's something the provincial government should give serious consideration to given our population growth and the increasing number of people making the commute to Toronto," said Wellington-Halton Hills MPP Ted Arnott, who said it can take up to three hours for him to get to the legislature from his home in Fergus.

I would imagine the service would be on the Georgetown Corridor. They would have to really have to change that line around. Perhaps we will see trains that go only to Brampton station during rush hour and more express trains and such.

Only if they fix that bridge we would have lakeshore style service to Bramalea station by now.

My point is that GO has built lines to serve park and rides in the past, and its difficult to shake that trend. But, it is changing. It's not going to happen overnight, but they are changing. Service to Bolton and Orangeville is expanding, and neither have any commuter parking currently in use. That's just one example.

In addition, Brampton is the only part of the 407 route that doesn't have service to a major terminal and only stops at the edge of town.

47 - Could have easily ended at McMaster, but was extended to Hamilton GO Centre
46 - Could have easily ended at Trafalgar Carpool, but goes to Oakville GO and Sheridan College
48 - Could have easily ended at Aberfoyle Park & Ride, but goes to U of G

52 - Could have easily ended at any number of spots in North Durham, but goes to downtown Oshawa
54 - Could have easily ended at Unionville GO, but snakes its way through Markham to Mount Joy GO

So clearly, the 407 route does not *just* serve park and rides.

You are pointing out stops without park-and-ride lots that are destinations. People going to Sheridan College and University Guelph still originate form stations with park-and-ride lots.

And I'm saying that they don't have to. If I live in Markham and I'm going to York U, I don't have to drive to Unionville to get on the bus. I can flag it down anywhere along its route.

Your original point was that the 407 route doesn't serve Bramalea City Centre or Meadowvale Town Centre. That is true, and that needs to be addressed, but every other route serves transit terminals.

Square One, Scarborough Town Centre, Oakville GO and Hamilton GO Centre are just a few examples.

And that's why, with respect, I disagree with you saying GO only cares about park-and-rides.

gotransittokdub.jpg

There is a story in The Star today about the Canac plant in Thornhill shutting down. The plant is on John street, just east of Bayview. Part of their property abuts the rail line used for the Richmond Hill Go service. In the story, the local councillor says it would be great to have a stop there.

Is there merit for a Thornhill Station right next to Bayview and John?

Anyone know when GO Transit will start building the new platforms at the James St N Station? Think I read somewhere it's supposed to start this summer.

There is a story in The Star today about the Canac plant in Thornhill shutting down. The plant is on John street, just east of Bayview. Part of their property abuts the rail line used for the Richmond Hill Go service. In the story, the local councillor says it would be great to have a stop there.

Is there merit for a Thornhill Station right next to Bayview and John?

I think so, especially if we move to REX on the Richmond Hill line.

Edit, after a Google Maps search:

It's close to shopping at Thornhill Square, and there is the Landmark Thornhill just north of the Mall, within walking distance of the station.

This local councillor better get support for this idea. In my opinion, its a no-brainer.

Back