News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

The date on the short is 7 days ago, which was when 214 was reported as being changed off. I was on the train hauled by 631 on Monday and 214 was not on it. Please don't share out of date information as being current.
Oh, sorry. I didn't check the release date.

Well, I went downtown today, and 200-214 were all facing west when I passed Willowbrook Yard. Another thing to note, cab car 317 had a small thing on the roof section to the right of the horn. 343 also had this. I think it may be an antenna, but it may also be a light, like on the Amtrak Siemens Charger cab.

Just to become a GO Train operator you need six years of training.
From CityNews:
"Seems simple but it's not, becoming a GO train operator takes about six years of training. (Metrolinx): We hire everyone on as a customer service ambassador, the training for that's about six to eight weeks long. Obviously work as a service ambassador for about a year or two, about a year and a half, after a perfect work record we give everyone the opportunity to move up to become a conductor, that involves another six weeks of in class training and then more on the job training, you do that role for about five years to become an expert of everything going on up here and then we'll take you back off the trains, put you back into class for another six weeks, and then we'll put you on the train to learn all the territory as a throttle trainee, and then after about a year you're a locomotive engineer."

Taken from a news report about Metrolinx hiring. The text is from a video.

Just to become a GO Train operator you need six years of training.
From CityNews:
"Seems simple but it's not, becoming a GO train operator takes about six years of training. (Metrolinx): We hire everyone on as a customer service ambassador, the training for that's about six to eight weeks long. Obviously work as a service ambassador for about a year or two, about a year and a half, after a perfect work record we give everyone the opportunity to move up to become a conductor, that involves another six weeks of in class training and then more on the job training, you do that role for about five years to become an expert of everything going on up here and then we'll take you back off the trains, put you back into class for another six weeks, and then we'll put you on the train to learn all the territory as a throttle trainee, and then after about a year you're a locomotive engineer."

Taken from a news report about Metrolinx hiring. The text is from a video.
Transport Canada requires minimum 2 years as a conductor to become a locomotive engineer. I have heard of some qualified conductors going from Class 1s to GO being a CSA for 8-12 months and then conductor another 2-4 years and then locomotive engineer. Alot of class 1 conductors will never apply to GO cause it's a massive paycut to become a CSA for however long it is.

Transport Canada requires minimum 2 years as a conductor to become a locomotive engineer. I have heard of some qualified conductors going from Class 1s to GO being a CSA for 8-12 months and then conductor another 2-4 years and then locomotive engineer. Alot of class 1 conductors will never apply to GO cause it's a massive paycut to become a CSA for however long it is.
This is why NA needs to rethink how people can become engineers when one can become one elsewhere in 9 months to 24 months depending what type of line they will be running on. HS operators require 2+ years of experience. Not everyone will qualify to be an engineer after training and they will have an option to remain as an CAS or conductor.

GO has had issues getting qualify engineers in the past to increase service some what, but what is coming down the road for service along with retirement or moving to a class 1 system, it going to be a major issue than it is today. Depending on the line and service for it, you need at least 3 engineers for every new train been put in to service let alone what is currently in place. Going from hourly to 15 minutes requires 3 extra train for the current one and 9 engineers. Lets say there are currently 5 hourly trains on line today, you need 45 more engineers to offer 15 minute service 7 days a week. Now add in the other lines and that is no small number of engineers not allowing for retirement or the spare board.

Back