News   Apr 26, 2024
 533     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 210     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 693     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

did they have to put it on a truck from Willowbrook? is there no other way to get it there?
I wish before they started to build up around the Round House that they would have built a spur line across Lower Simcoe and where the Delta currently is to connect to the network. That way specials trains like this one could make visits with ease for special occasions.

I wish before they started to build up around the Round House that they would have built a spur line across Lower Simcoe and where the Delta currently is to connect to the network. That way specials trains like this one could make visits with ease for special occasions.

With ease? Having to travel across a fairly high-traffic street (Bremner) with tons of pedestrian traffic, in a tourist-heavy area? I'm not sure that would be particularly easy for anyone involved.

With ease? Having to travel across a fairly high-traffic street (Bremner) with tons of pedestrian traffic, in a tourist-heavy area? I'm not sure that would be particularly easy for anyone involved.
Why would it used during high traffic times? The move would be made after hours just like when the truck made the delivery - late at night with few pedestrians around. it would be easier than commissioning a big rig and loading the rail car onto a trailer.

I was aware there was no rail link.....just thought that it would have been easier/quicker to take it by rail to much closer to its destination and then lift it off for a shorter shuttle

That's all I was asking.

Anyway, I find the whole idea of them spending any time/effort/manpower/money on this a little bit symbolically vomit inducing.

I was aware there was no rail link.....just thought that it would have been easier/quicker to take it by rail to much closer to its destination and then lift it off for a shorter shuttle

That's all I was asking.

Anyway, I find the whole idea of them spending any time/effort/manpower/money on this a little bit symbolically vomit inducing.

for a once in a 50 year thing, as long as its not as ridiculous as the fake lake for the G20, I see no reason to be that concerned

As a bit of trivia - as first conceived, the museum did retain a spur from the active railway, but it was in the way of too much high-value development.

If you ever park in the underground parking lot there, look up - the tracks and turntable have pretty impressive reinforced supports so they don't come crashing through the roof of the garage.

- Paul

PS - while nicely done, the refurb needs some minor 'period' details, like a center mounted car number on the side, an AEI tag, and an appropriate destination sign on the cab end.

- Paul

With attitudes like that it's no wonder we do a shitty job of preserving our history. Maybe New York and San Francisco should ditch their heritage to save a few bucks too.

As a bit of trivia - as first conceived, the museum did retain a spur from the active railway, but it was in the way of too much high-value development.

That's too bad, such a spur would have made even the London Transport Museum (city centre location) jealous.

That's too bad, such a spur would have made even the London Transport Museum (city centre location) jealous.
The New York MTA's museum has two!

Still though, I'd think maintaining the spur into there, with all that redevelopment would have been a nightmare, particularly with the wall along the south side of the Union Station rail corridor and the Simcoe underpass. I'd think trucking would be far cheaper and more convenient.

If you ever park in the underground parking lot there, look up - the tracks and turntable have pretty impressive reinforced supports so they don't come crashing through the roof of the garage.

- Paul

PS - while nicely done, the refurb needs some minor 'period' details, like a center mounted car number on the side, an AEI tag, and an appropriate destination sign on the cab end.

- Paul

The spur - or rather, the land that the spur was supposed to be built on - was long gone way before any museum ended up getting placed into the Roundhouse. Hell, the sale of the land - by the City to Trizec-Hahn, for the record - predates the formation of the TRHA, whom operate the museum on behalf of the City, by a good half-dozen years.

As for the car itself, I don't disagree with the "period" details, although if its going to be painted with stripes and not have ditch lights installed, that time period dates to about 1978 to 1984. Thus, no AEI tags and destination signs.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As for the car itself, I don't disagree with the "period" details, although if its going to be painted with stripes and not have ditch lights installed, that time period dates to about 1978 to 1984. Thus, no AEI tags and destination signs.

Fair enough - there is no 'right period' for a preservation. It was the fiftieth anniversary observation that got me thinking about as-built details. In 104's case, photos show the AEI tag in place right through the eighties. The mid-car number was typical of the entire life of the car, and it was still there when the car arrived in Toronto. I was surprised that it was omitted.

- Paul

The classic GO Transit coach is at the Toronto Railway Museum now. (picture source = tweet)

C_vmjt2XoAA7KI6.jpg:large

Here are some pictures I shot last night of it at Willowbrook before it was moved. I also Tweeted them out here and here.

Ah, so this is what you guys were talking about a few months ago. It looks phenomenal, and so mint I had to do a double take cuz it looked 'shopped in.

This is the order AMT cancel with BBD some time ago and could be another death nail for Thunder Bay. The cars will be built at CRRC plant in Springfield Mass that goes into production this year to do Boston Subway train order. They just got another order for SEPTA bi-level cars.

Maybe Metrolinx will look at a tender for future bi-level cars now.

CRRC got this order as well on cost was delivery time. BBD wanted 30 months well CRRC was able to do it in 24. Able and have done it are two different things.

Les Affaires
<https://www.lesaffaires.com/bourse/...bombardier-echappe-le-contrat-de-l-amt/594936>
Trains de banlieue: Bombardier échappe le contrat de l'AMT aux Chinois

English Translation
Suburban trains: Bombardier escapes AMT contract from Chinese
Published on 15/05/2017 at 14:55

New tile for Bombardier. Les Affaires learned that the Agence métropolitaine de transport (AMT), which is responsible for the commuter rail network in the Montréal region, has awarded the Chinese company CRRC a mandate to manufacture 24 new cars, which Bombardier also coveted.

The AMT's preference for the China Railway Rolling Stock Corporation (CRRC) was formalized by signature on Thursday, May 11, the same day that Bombardier held its annual meeting of shareholders in Dorval. Bombardier was one of only two bidders to respond to this AMT tender but failed to win the bid.

The Chinese CRRC was the lowest bidder, confirms agency spokesman Fanie St-Pierre. It has committed to manufacturing all 24 of the two-tiered cars ordered for $ 69 million. The amount of this invoice is well below the $ 103M that the AMT had planned for its project in its last capital program.

"We are very happy with the result," said Ms. St-Pierre. In such a context, even if no one knows the future, it is hoped that we will be able to complete this project of acquiring new cars without cost overruns. "

The cars ordered are intended for the commuter train lines of Candiac, Vaudreuil-Dorion and Saint-Jérôme. Some will be designed to accommodate users with reduced mobility. Delivery of the first cars must start no later than 24 months after the contract is signed, ie in the spring of 2019.

Bombardier Transportation's local management joined the headquarters of St-Bruno-de-Montarville and did not wish to comment, arguing that the contract had not yet been granted. "The parties have been informed, but the contract has not yet been formally signed," said Bombardier spokesman Marc-André Lefebvre. "All I can tell you," he said, "is that we have presented the AMT with a more competitive proposal, taking into account the lifetime cost of vehicles." See later reaction: Contract To China: Angry Bomber

In December 2015, the AMT published its first international tender for these two-level cars. At maturity, in March 2016, the AMT had received only one proposal, that of Bombardier, which was deemed non-compliant. Bombardier's proposal apparently did not meet either the technical specifications or the delivery schedule.

In May 2016, the AMT decided to cancel the process and after consultations with various manufacturers, in particular Korean and Chinese, the agency decided to restart the invitation to tender process. At maturity, on March 24, 2017, two proposals were received, those of Bombardier and CRRC.

Between the two appeals, the AMT alleges that it made a number of changes. Among the most important: a reduction in the Canadian content requirement. So, from one call for tenders to the next, Ms. St-Pierre confirmed, the Canadian content required for this contract has gone from 25% to 15%.

"It was absolutely right to demand 25% as we had first done," says St-Pierre. But as the industry standard is apparently more around 10%, 15%, several manufacturers have refrained from submitting their applications. "

CRRC is the world's largest manufacturer of rolling stock. The Chinese state-owned company is currently building factories in Chicago and Boston after snatching orders also coveted by Bombardier.

In 2009, it was one of its subsidiaries, Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive, which had wanted to participate in the tender of the Société de transport de Montréal (STM) for the renewal of cars in the Montréal metro. After many twists and turns, the consortium, consisting of Bombardier and Alstom, finally won the stake.

The Bombardier share was trading at $ 2.16 shortly before 3 pm on Monday, up 1.89%, or $ 0.04. Since the beginning of 2017, its stock has declined by 1.85% on the Toronto

Back