News   May 02, 2024
 210     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 423     0 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

Also, given March 20th was the first day of Spring, it will be interesting to see when/if the GO Electrification page is updated. Right now it says: "We expect to begin the six-month TPAP process in late winter 2017". Although with today's weather it still *feels* like winter.

What happened to the Stouffville line? I thought that was going to get electrification before Barrie (especially if Tory's 'SmartTrack' is still in play)?

Federal money is not being invested into Stouffville.

As you say, the province has a partner on Stouffville already.

I wonder if the Kitchener and LSE lines included the bypass
It's pegged (for the full one including CP) at approx $5B, so the short answer is no. But the long answer? You have to wonder, that map was from Infrastructure Canada, and either they're intoxicated with optimism, or there's a much bigger announcement yet to come...

It's pegged (for the full one including CP) at approx $5B, so the short answer is no. But the long answer? You have to wonder, that map was from Infrastructure Canada, and either they're intoxicated with optimism, or there's a much bigger announcement yet to come...

I've reached out on Twitter to try to get some clarity on the differences between the map we saw today and what we thought was the initial scope of RER.

I've reached out on Twitter to try to get some clarity on the differences between the map we saw today and what we thought was the initial scope of RER.
Excellent! If there is a bigger announcement forthcoming, which I suspect is the case, they might be in enforced silence if it's going to be channeled through the Infrastructure/Investment Bank. Feds on record as stating that the big announcements will come later, and that makes sense if they want to get it right, and with shared investment, that has to be the case for all concerned.

I don't think that map was a mistake, other than for someone to post an internal working one in lieu of what was meant to be released at this time.

Very intriguing....fingers crossed.
I've reached out on Twitter to try to get some clarity
This may be a case where a discreet email or letter might get a more nuanced answer. If I were them, and there is more to the story than the text release states, they'd be far more willing to allude to nuances than they would by Twitter, which is an open send to the world.

Last edited:
In reference to our earlier conversation, it looks like Kitchener just got $752 million for GO Transit, maybe this is why the map shows electrification? Unsure what exactly for, details are limited.

https://twitter.com/PaviaJoe1964/status/847812378830020608
https://twitter.com/andreabellemare/status/847815634750758912

Edit: UPDATE

Feds announce $752M for Toronto-Waterloo GO line

"The funding will make approximately 40.2 km of new track and grading between Mount Pleasant Station and Union Station along the Kitchener GO line."

This CBC article as a little more specific information:

The money will ensure the region "has efficient transit infrastructure that meets the needs of our growing community," Saini wrote on Twitter. The funding will make approximately 40.2 km of new track and grading between Mount Pleasant Station and Union Station along the Kitchener GO line.

In reference to our earlier conversation, it looks like Kitchener just got $752 million for GO Transit, maybe this is why the map shows electrification? Unsure what exactly for, details are limited.

https://twitter.com/PaviaJoe1964/status/847812378830020608
https://twitter.com/andreabellemare/status/847815634750758912

Again, I don't believe this is funding for new infrastructure. Rather, the feds are now kicking in for RER, which they previously weren't doing. All the projects this announcement funds were already funded by the province.

What this does mean is that the province now has $1.8 billion in wiggle room to make new announcements now on other new infrastructure projects.

Also the province has stated that they are going to build all day GO service to Kitchener, since they said they would work on the freight bypass last year. We are just waiting for actual details on the project.

Again, I don't believe this is funding for new infrastructure. Rather, the feds are now kicking in for RER, which they previously weren't doing. All the projects this announcement funds were already funded by the province.

What this does mean is that the province now has $1.8 billion in wiggle room to make new announcements now on other new infrastructure projects.

Also the province has stated that they are going to build all day GO service to Kitchener, since they said they would work on the freight bypass last year. We are just waiting for actual details on the project.

So I would have agreed with you, but this article makes it seem like there is new stuff involved:

Feds announce $752M for Toronto-Waterloo GO line

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...innovation-corridor-federal-funding-1.4049446

"The funding will make approximately 40.2 km of new track and grading between Mount Pleasant Station and Union Station along the Kitchener GO line"

It was my understanding that Kitchener RER Line work scope stopped at Bramalea, now it seems like that has grown to as far as Mount Pleasant

So would it be safe to assume that this would be the new 3rd track through Brampton?

Have to agree with innsertnamehere. It's hard to say what will happen next and we'll just have to wait I guess. Given the GTS is done, would any of this money be used for the fourth track north of Bloor GO to Bramalea? I can't recall if that had funding and was already going to be done when the 401 tunnel was built. Maybe some of it will go to the 401 tunnel?

They were always adding a track in that stretch though. Essentially what it means is that the feds are now paying for it instead of the province.

The feds just split it up and reannounced it to get credit. Its not a new project.

What will happen though is in a few months I expect the province to go all happy spending and announce some new projects with their newly freed up $1.8 billion.

So would it be safe to assume that this would be the new 3rd track through Brampton?
No. My sixth sense strongly tells me there's a lot more to come. And the third track won't be necessary, and a huge waste of investment that could/should go elsewhere.

That map could be dismissed as being wrong, and is by some posters....save for the minor detail you noted earlier: They got Hamilton exactly right. No matter The Link or not, CN won't be giving carte-blanche to electrifying that freight stretch unless there's a by-pass of some sort there too.

CN has allowed them to electrify to Aldershot at least. The original RER maps had electrified service ending at Burlington, they've since changed the maps with RER service ending at Aldershot.

They were always adding a track in that stretch though. Essentially what it means is that the feds are now paying for it instead of the province.

The feds just split it up and reannounced it to get credit. Its not a new project.

What will happen though is in a few months I expect the province to go all happy spending and announce some new projects with their newly freed up $1.8 billion.
Or more likely, a 'hand-off' to QP so they could fund "their matching share" of a "$5B project along with private investment". Think about it, everyone looks good! And QP is also prepped to saying no along with the Feds to SSE.

There's also the wild-card on the table: Bruce McCuaig. Note how he was brought on-board just a week before this announcement? Serendipity? I think not...

Back