GO Train Fares To Increase

realtycoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
GO Transit fares to rise March 14
Mar 06, 2009 03:05 PM
Tess Kalinowski
Staff Reporter

GO Transit plans to raise fares by 25 cents per ride effective March 14.

The cost of a single ride from Oakville to Union Station will go up to $6.25 from $6. A monthly pass will increase $10 to $205.

The fare hike is in line with inflation and will help the transit company meet rising costs of business such as hydro, Highway 407 road tolls and the need for more services and facilities, said company spokesperson Vanessa Thomas.

GO recovers 82 per cent of its operating revenue through fares, one of the highest transit cost recovery rates in the world.

The increase is expected to be approved by GO's board of directors next Friday, March 13.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/597877

Ah, aren't these people wonderful. A week's notice, comes out on a Friday afternoon when people don't pay attention to the news, and a 25 cent increase, rather than the typical 15 cent increase. Plus the boneheaded way they raise fares, it has a much higher impact on short trips while subsidizing long trips from places like Milton, Barrie and Bowmanville.

Unless they decided to fix it this time around, Brampton and Bramalea will still be shafted by unfair fares to York U and Union Station (Oakville is a lower fare, but farther to Union than Brampton is). York U to Bramalea is the same fare as York U to Square One, twice the distance.

Time to decouple parking costs.

Time to decouple parking costs.

These are stations out in suburbia.... I'm sure the cost of owning/maintaining parking lots out there are not incredibly high... especially compared to the TTC lots.

Also, considering that the vast majority of people taking the GO have to drive to get to a station, I doubt they'd be happy with an extra parking fee. That would be about enough to get me to drive downtown to begin with (if I didn't already live here that is).

These are stations out in suburbia.... I'm sure the cost of owning/maintaining parking lots out there are not incredibly high... especially compared to the TTC lots.

Also, considering that the vast majority of people taking the GO have to drive to get to a station, I doubt they'd be happy with an extra parking fee. That would be about enough to get me to drive downtown to begin with (if I didn't already live here that is).

I bet people would be more angry if they charged $2 for parking than if they increased fares by $2 :)

Can't help but think something must have happened here. GO, typically, gives more notice than this.

This is a week's notice before the meeting to approve the new fares and then they go into effect the very next day....seems rushed and unusual to me.

Hey, just in time for the recession!

Just in time for (almost) the end of the school year and me moving my ass back downtown!

I still find the train to be of good value when compared with other travel options. Always have and always (I think) will!

Word is that even if the board approves the fare hike this Friday, there will likely be more than a day's notice given the feedback that GO has recieved. I thought that a chance to GO's board to actually debate it was needed, and customers deserved more notice, if nothing else.

Word is that even if the board approves the fare hike this Friday, there will likely be more than a day's notice given the feedback that GO has recieved. I thought that a chance to GO's board to actually debate it was needed, and customers deserved more notice, if nothing else.
I'd be stunned if it could happen that quickly, anyway. There are systems items to be done when pricing changes occur, such as reprogramming the TVMs, and I can't see staff getting the approval to do that work ahead of board approval.

Maybe it's time GO tell us why we have to wait up to 2 hour for an hour train when one gets cancel?

What are the problems?

What is plan to fix them?

When will it be done?

Far too many trains getting cancel because of equipment issues.

Time to send in the taxie bills.

GO= Gone out of service

Mad As Hell, And I'm Not Going To Take This Anymore

Damn, I'm mad as hell! GO Transit is at it again - screwing the rider!

A quick analysis:

1. Single ride from Oakville to Union Station, $6.00 to $6.25 = 4.16% hike

2. Monthly pass from Oakville to Union Station, $195.00 to $205.00 = 5.13% hike

3. Single ride from Milton to Union Station, $7.75 to $8.00+ = 3.23% hike

4. Monthly pass from Milton to Union Station, $250.00 to $260.00+ = 4.00% hike

5. These hikes in fares are not "in line with inflation". Inflation is 2.4% for 2008 and 1.10% for 2009.

6. Why does GO Transit need to charge more when fuel prices have plummeted? To drive my car to Toronto from Milton, it now cost $100 per month for gas versus $160 back in the fall. A 40% reduction just within a few months.

7. Why does GO Transit need to charge more when we're in a depression? People are losing their jobs! People are taking pay cuts! I only received a 2.4% wage increase from my employer this year.

8. According to Trading Economics (www.tradingeconomics.com), Canada's inflation rate for January is at 1.10%. The average inflation rate in 2008 was 2.38%.

9. The GO Transit Annual Report should be made public prior to raising fares to prove to the public why rate increases are neccessary and to measure up the government to past fare hike reasons. According to the GO Transit Act, 2001, "On or before July 31 in each year, or another date specified by the Minister, GO Transit shall submit to the Minister and to the Minister of Finance an annual report on its affairs and the affairs of its subsidiary corporations for the previous fiscal year, signed by the chair of the board of directors. 2001, c. 23, Sched. A, s. 24 (1)."

10. GO Transit has a very high fare recovery rate and should be reduced to be in line with other Canadian transit systems. 82 per cent for GO Transit, 73% TTC, 23% YRT. Something should be done about this.

11. GO Transit on-time arrivals to Union Station from Milton is below 90% for 4 out of 6 trains. This is too low to be acceptable.

12. GO Transit Milton train capacity is over-capacity for 1 train in the morning, and 3 out of 6 trains in the afternoon. Paying more for overcrowded trains. Typical.

13. GO Transit Lakeshore West train capacity is over-capacity for 5 trains in the morning.

14. GO Transit has an overall on-time performance rating of 86.79% (78/183 trains less than 87%) with 33 trains over-capacity, 2 trains less than 60% on-time, 3 trains between 60% to 69% on-time, 17 trains between 70% to 79% on-time, 92 trains between 80% and 89% on-time, 69 trains between 90% to 98% on-time, no trains 99% or 100% on-time.

It seems GO Transit has "lost touch with reality" by not considering the average rider's finances and the global economic downturn. While prices are going down, more Canadians are unemployed, and those who are are feeling a big pinch if their spouse just got laid off and has to pay a double to triple inflationary hike for government services. It appears the Ontario Government's agencies are all out of touch with reality until the provincial government gets involved. Examples being the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario (ETFO) and the Ontario Public School Boards' Association (OPSBA) wanting a 3% raise for the next 4 years during recession and Ontario offering by ultimatum 2%; and the Ontario Lottery Corporation with offering foreign built Mercedes Benz' instead of supporting locally manufactured vehicles at a time when our auto companies are at the brink of bankruptcy.

t now cost $100 per month for gas versus $160 back in the fall. A 40% reduction just within a few months.

100$ a month my ass...

either your driving a hybrid or a 3 wheeler.

I think GO is just trying to get us like how the TTC does.
Its we are increasing the fare, what are you going to do about it...

Drive sure, but their ridership is growing like mad, you would be replaced on the train the next day really...

I think they have no reason to justify a hike as they will get so much more money from the provincial and federal govt soon.

Last edited:
10. GO Transit has a very high fare recovery rate and should be reduced to be in line with other Canadian transit systems. 82 per cent for GO Transit, 73% TTC, 23% YRT. Something should be done about this.
GO intends to lower its recover rate to 75% over the next dozen years according to its strategic plan.

Thing is, the only way to do that is to get more provincial operational funding. Until that funding materializes, GO has to deal with the hand they've got. Our governments are bleeding money right now, and given the huge amounts of money needed for capital improvements to GO, are we likely to get more operational funding any time soon?

Surprisingly

Increase approved....got my email on GO Alerts at 11:18....apparantly, though, the elevator at Bramalea is still out of service.....stay tuned ;)

Back