273     0 

Globe: More Canadians like their commutes

W

wyliepoon

Link to article

A moving finding — commuting isn't so bad after all

SCOTT DEVEAU

Globe and Mail Update

More Canadians say they enjoy their daily commute than find trudging to and from work a burden, according to a new study.

The somewhat surprising finding was published in Statistics Canada's Canadian Social Trend report on Tuesday.

The study found that the proportion of workers who reported that they liked their commute to and from work (38 per cent) was actually higher than the percentage who were negative about it (30 per cent).

One in six actually said they liked commuting a lot.

Perhaps not surprisingly, workers who said they liked their job were six times more likely to enjoy their daily commute than those who disliked their jobs. However, those who bike to work are the employees who enjoy their commute the most, the study found.

In 2005, 19 per cent of workers who rode their bicycles to work reported that their commute was the most pleasant activity of their day. This was true of just 2 per cent of workers who drove to work.

However, 2001 census data showed that only about 1 per cent of commuters rode a bicycle to work, whereas 81 per cent used a vehicle.

Canadians who lived in larger cities were less likely to enjoy commuting than workers who resided in smaller centres, the study found.

“This may be because workers in larger cities are more likely than others to do their commuting under more stressful conditions. In general, the larger the city, the heavier the traffic,†according to the report.

Public transit users were less likely to enjoy commuting than drivers.

In 2005, less than one-quarter (23 per cent) of people who travelled between home and work on mass transit said they liked commuting. This compares with 39 per cent of commuters using cars “Previous research has shown that the time it takes to commute has the biggest influence on the stress of commuters using a suburban train. The longer the trip, the greater the stress,†the study says.

“The level of enjoyment between drivers and public transit users can be explained mainly by the fact that public transit users take on average a longer time to get to work and back than car users.â€

But those who have to use a combination of driving and public transit are the ones who dislike their commute the most.

“The fact that the majority of these commuters have to transfer from one mode of transportation to another, and therefore, endure additional waits or the frustration of missing a connection, may account for the difference,†the study says.

Not all that surprising. When I used to ride the GO LAkeshoreW I quite liked the morning commute. I could settle down in comfort for an hour or so, drink a coffee and read the news. But going home was a different story- I spent many a tired and dreary evening on that train.

Public transit users were less likely to enjoy commuting than drivers.
When my wife and I decided to buy a house downtown, instead of suburbia, public transit was high on our list. We can get rid of one car, save some money and take transit. Unfortunately, our public transit experience, during morning and afternoon rush hour, was horrible. We kept both cars and never looked back. I don't find so stressful sitting in traffic alone in my car or with a passenger. But crammed like a sardine on the streetcar and subway was too much after a while. I can see why public transit users were less likely to enjoy commuting than drivers.

Yeh- I guess after several years I ultimately resented it as well. Not so much the discomfort- but it dawned on me one day that I was literally spending about 15 hours of my week sitting on a train- 60 hours/mth- 30 full days of the year...scary.

My commute is roughly 30 minutes by either car or transit, though without hesitation I prefer driving to work. But even when I use the TTC, I tend to enjoy the trip. Part of the reason why I moved uptown is because I got fed up with my 10 minute or less commute to work. I need more time than that to get ready for the day, and unwind after work.

Commute

I like my drive to work as well. Although I live in Mississauga and work in the 401/404 area, morning commute is 35 minutes and the way home is about 50 minutes. It's peaceful, I don't have to deal with other people aside from my occassional carpool buddy, which happens to be a total babe, and I can listen to the news and drink coffee and get ready mentally for work.

Not to mention that I like my job. It's not the faceless corporation that I worked for before, which I also happen to commute to 1.5 hours each way thanks to Mississauga transit.

So I guess in conclusion I'm just supporting the facts in the article.

But I think it more has to do with liking your job. My cousin takes the GO train from Oshawa and then takes the TTC to get to his job in the city. But he likes the commute because he knows that he'll have fun at work, and on the way back he'll have some interesting memories.

Happiness breeds happiness. Maybe this is just a sign that GTA-ers are becoming more happy as a society.

Re: Commute

Margaret Wente says you should be miserable like her.

I love my commute. 20 minute walk to the CBD.

(screw cars AND PT!)

:D

I used to be a 20 minute walk from work, and didn't really enjoy it. Long enough that on hot, cold, or rainy days it's too much, short enough that it's hard to justify paying for transit, and so close that by car it's only an 8 minute drive. Now I live in midtown, work downtown, and enjoy the 20-30 minutes it takes to get to work. It's one of the most relaxing times of the day for me becaues I know I can do nothing productive without feeling like my time is wasted.

If my commute was shorter - or broken into smaller fragments due to more transfers, etc. - I wouldn't get any reading done. It's also long enough that I can nap, edit essays, whatever. I almost hated when my commute was ~30 minutes...long enough to suck, but not long enough to get anything done.

Back