News   May 17, 2024
 7.8K     9 

Globe: GTAA investors could face Eurotunnel-sized failure

U

unimaginative2

From the Globe and Mail:

GTAA investors could face Eurotunnel-sized failure

HARRY KOZA

Eurotunnel, the company that built and operates the rail tunnel linking Britain and France, has recently defaulted on its bonds and filed for protection from its creditors. It seems the company, while making an operating profit on booming travel (thanks to the World Cup and Da Vinci Code tourists), still can't cover the interest payments on its €9-billion ($13-billion) in debt.

Restructuring depends on persuading bondholders to give up half of what's owed them in exchange for shares in the restructured firm. Lots of luck: There are 800,000 individual shareholders in Eurotunnel in France alone, and while their equity has been vaporized, there are those who say they should end up with a big chunk of the post-restructuring equity. French politics being what they are, the prospect of maman et papa investors getting wiped out may be too much for the government to bear, and the bondholders may be asked to take an even bigger haircut in favour of shareholders. Besides, French law requires that the new plan be approved by shareholders anyway, and they are unlikely to approve anything that doesn't leave them with a big chunk of the new entity -- to the detriment of bond investors. La plus ça change.

Eurotunnel is a marvellous feat of engineering, but they blew it on so many fronts. All their projections were overly optimistic: They were going to put cross-channel ferries and airplanes out of business, generating 21 million passengers a year; they were going to build the biggest engineering project the world had ever seen on time and on budget. It ended up being completed late and six times over budget, and the passenger traffic maxed out at about a third of the forecast. Operators bought new, more comfortable modern vessels, dropped fares and kept their customers, while upstarts like Ryanair offered cheap flights to anywhere in Europe. Oops! Looks like Maggie Thatcher made the right call when she refused to put any government money into the project, insisting it be financed with private capital.

The whole thing got me thinking about Pearson Airport again. Will the Greater Toronto Airports Authority be the next Eurotunnel?

I mean, the new Pearson Airport is a lovely facility, and it will be used, but it has so far racked up around $7-billion in debt. What if the Pearson expansion comes in behind schedule and over budget, and the traffic forecasts aren't realized? Will they still be able to cover their interest payments?

Bond investors have loaded up on GTAA paper on the premise that the airport authority has a government mandate and near-monopoly power to set fees at whatever level is deemed necessary, so the bonds are as good as gold. That's fine up to a point, but I don't know. I think the market is being a little too sanguine about event risk. GTAA's fees are already among the highest in the world, and some airlines (El Al Israel Airlines, for instance) are already shifting flights to other airports. If some exogenous event -- like a SARS pandemic, terrorist attack or U.S. recession -- comes along to reduce traffic volumes, it may not have much room left for further fee hikes to make up lost revenue.

Of course, another SARS-like scare or recession will also push GTAA's airline customers to the edge, and they likely won't be able to handle yet another increase in landing fees, which would be making an already unfair tariff even worse. Also, what happens if the long-touted "open skies" regime ever actually comes into effect? The whole idea of GTAA as a major North American hub seems predicated on the assumption that open skies never happens. If it does, further fee increases could see a lot of airlines shifting operations to Buffalo or Hamilton. Someone told me today that you can already drive to Buffalo, stay overnight in a hotel and catch a flight the next morning, and it's still cheaper than flying out of Pearson for many destinations.

So where, Malcolm Gladwell might ask, is the tipping point? How bad does an exogenous event have to be before GTAA can no longer make its interest payments?

I don't know, but it seems to me the market may not be pricing such a possibility into GTAA paper. GTAA 6.47-per-cent bonds maturing in 2034 are quoted around 1.25 percentage points over similar-term Canada bonds. I wonder if that is enough spread for the risk.

The rating agencies and the Street's investment bankers seem unperturbed. The raters see GTAA as a "government-related issuer," meaning taxpayers will be the ultimate backstop of the credit. The investment banks are conflicted -- they make a lot of money underwriting GTAA bonds.

So, I'd be very interested in seeing some analysis of the GTAA credit in various "stuff happens" risk scenarios. Meanwhile, though I still own shorter-dated GTAA bonds in my RRSP, I'd be leery of strapping on any new positions in their longer issues, at least at current spreads.

Harry Koza is senior Canadian markets analyst at Thomson Financial and a columnist for GlobeinvestorGOLD.com.

Re: Globe: GTAA investors could face Eurotunnel-sized failur

I mean, the new Pearson Airport is a lovely facility, and it will be used, but it has so far racked up around $7-billion in debt. What if the Pearson expansion comes in behind schedule and over budget, and the traffic forecasts aren't realized? Will they still be able to cover their interest payments?

SARS, increased security, and 911 all came at the worst time for GTAA and bumped debt quite a bit (reduced interest payments) but these combined don't seem to have had a significant long term impact. I say the worst time because GTAA was already planning on skipping interest payments during construction. The loss of revenue made it that much worse.

It will take something far more significant than 911 to cause GTAA to go under at this time and I suspect we would have bigger things to worry about if it did happen.

The worst scenario is actually very high short-term growth with strong pressure not to raise fees. The reason is that construction of Pier G and H would prevent debt payments, causing them to hit $10B+ debt pretty quickly which is getting close to the point of no return.

No growth or low growth from this day forward puts them in a position to knock off about $300M to $500M from the principal per year once Pier F is complete and the two terminals, 2 and infield, have been shut down.

This takes care of the entire debt in about 15 to 20 years -- just in time to start building the airport in Pickering (big mistake IMO).

I'm not an investor in GTAA, but I do have strong confidence they will pay down their debts in a reasonable time frame. As a frequent flyer I do hope they don't raise rates though but it wouldn't cause me to use a different airport or reduce air travel. Increased hotel fees would though.

rbtaylor - don't think the infield will close, IIRC it will stay to cover for major events/maintenance.

If the feds weren't overcharging pearson on rents it would help. That said Pearson is like the Leafs - so far they seem able to charge what they like.

The bond agencies do their homework. I take their ratings over someone applying eurotunnel (when there are other transportation options instead of taking the chunnel) economics.

don't think the infield will close
It won't close completely but its usage will be significantly reduced which means a number of operations costs associated with it will also be reduced.

Who, beyond the bond holders, should care if the GTAA were to default? Its not like someone is going to repossess the airport.

as an arms' length agency are they even able to default, or would the government simply be required to cover the bonds? in the latter case we should all be concerned, because taxpayers would be on the hook for $7-10 billion

If these extraordinary landing fees are not lowered, I see more flights connecting out of the US Northeast as international airlines avoid the high cost of flying to Toronto. In the end, Torontonians need to pay the extra fare to reach a major US hub to go overseas.

and now GTAA are going to take a huge hit on their retail sales since booze and perfume are banned from sale and many other retail outlets are closed or have sharply reduced stock lines.

They could perhaps make an exception for duty free products purchased at the airports. Maybe they could be checked on the aircraft until arrival.

As much as the folks at the Globe would like to wish that this will happen, it will not. There is enough liquidity in the GTAA that they will not have a problem.

One only has to look and see that there are enough airlines that would give an arm and a leg to get into Toronto. THY, Saudi Arabian and many many more.

Due to the Canadian Government taking their sweet time to get agreements going so that manyof these airlines can start flying and the rent issue, one can see who is causing the problems at Pearson.

Back