281     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 283     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 474     0 

Gigabit Fibre - Bell and City of Toronto

"As for how much it may cost, the company won't say."

Not surprised.
Some guy elsewhere says his co-worker was offered 1000/1000 service with unlimited data for $150 per month. Take that with a grain of salt, but the pricing does make sense, as currently 175/175 service is less than $125 per month, or closer to $105 per month if you also subscribe to Fibe TV.

So, not exactly cheap, but not impossibly expensive either.

I personally have zero need for these types of speeds though. Something like 25/10 is good enough for me.

Some guy elsewhere says his co-worker was offered 1000/1000 service with unlimited data for $150 per month. Take that with a grain of salt, but the pricing does make sense, as currently 175/175 service is less than $125 per month, or closer to $105 per month if you also subscribe to Fibe TV.

So, not exactly cheap, but not impossibly expensive either.

I personally have zero need for these types of speeds though. Something like 25/10 is good enough for me.

Highly unlikely in pricing (unless its the first 3 months on a 2 year contract). Bell Aliant (a 100% owned operating entity of Bell on the East Coast) is currently offering:

150/30 - $95/month
300/30 - $110/month
450/350 - $250/month

http://www.bellaliant.net/fibreop-internet/service-plans/450 (select your area as Nova Scotia)

The hardware on your premises is virtually the same cost (or maybe even the same equipment). The additional cost to Bell is the bandwidth externally...and if you are looking at 1000/1000 the average person on it would be a serious user. The transmittal costs to get to a hub may be a bit more expensive from Halifax but I assume Bell owns their own lines so incrementally not much more.

$150 CDN per month for unlimited symmetric Gigabit Fiber is pretty reasonable start, given the lack of competition.

Expensive by residential standards, but really cheap by Canadian business standards. It would be nice to have it a Google Fiber $70 USD ($90 CAN), but this is a better price than I thought it would be. It is actually quite fairly good on a price-per-megabit basis compared to the existing Canadian options.

That said, it would be a tough sell for many people, and this may be a promotional price that goes higher or lower after some time (as the market matures), so time will tell what the pricing really is.

But 150 is quite manageable for a busy telecommuter who needs the speed to get work done at home -- that's potentially a Metropass saved, a few tanks of gas avoided, and/or a lot fewer GO train trips there. Getting access to your office at hard disk speeds.

$150 CDN per month for unlimited symmetric Gigabit Fiber is pretty reasonable start, given the lack of competition.

Expensive by residential standards, but really cheap by Canadian business standards. It would be nice to have it a Google Fiber $70 USD ($90 CAN), but this is a better price than I thought it would be. It is actually quite fairly good on a price-per-megabit basis compared to the existing Canadian options.

That said, it would be a tough sell for many people, and this may be a promotional price that goes higher or lower after some time (as the market matures), so time will tell what the pricing really is.

But 150 is quite manageable for a busy telecommuter who needs the speed to get work done at home -- that's potentially a Metropass saved, a few tanks of gas avoided, and/or a lot fewer GO train trips there. Getting access to your office at hard disk speeds.

Again, unlimited internet at a gig for $150 is a pipe dream for now (unless you have Google which may use your data for advertisers to make up for the price difference). And to be quite honest not many people other than those that use torrent a lot really need it.

A telecommuter that needs a VPN, video chat and a family member watching TV rarely will need 150 megs and can handle a 500 gig cap. This will cost you less than $100 per month. The Gig internet is there for future proofing. In 10 years we will need it. Very few of us need it now.

Netflix has driven down the amount of bandwidth the "big guys" pay for by putting their own servers in the ISP's data centre (a "Content Delivery Network"). They give the big guys hard drives that will automatically download the most viewed movies. This does drive down the cost.

So the ISP's want you to stream the TV show that they are streaming from NBC and the Netflix movie as they only have to buy the bandwidth once not for every user. If you love those HD Finnish movies with no subtitles they will hate you.

Bell Aliant rolled out FTTH to most of the city of North Bay over the past couple years, including my parent's house. Apparently this was a $17 million investment. Most of the city was wired up, except some MDUs and some lots with rear service. My parents house has rear service for the existing Bell copper line, but their power comes from poles on the street, where the fibre was run. As this was a completely new install, they didn't use any existing infrastructure, and sited the nodes in completely new locations, not near existing copper infrastructure. The entire system is designed to be as easy to install as possible, and was quite interesting to see. First, each pole is surveyed, and the existing lines attached to it measured to ensure that the vertical clearance between required between power and comm lines is available. Poles that will need additional guy wires are upgraded, and other utilities move their lines if required to make space. The location of the nodes is then determined to serve the area homes. Then each fibre run from the node is custom made by Corning, using their FlexNAP (Network Access Point) product, which is pre-terminated. A bucket truck with the roll of fibre simply drove down the street, with the fibre spooling off and going up to a pulley on the extended bucket where a worker bolted it to the pole. The wire is the exact right length, so each pole has a fibre termination to serve either 4,6,8, or 12 homes depending on the area. The node is then bolted to a pole at the other end of the run, and more runs are installed to other streets. At the node, a length of fibre is run up the pole, and then back down to the ground, where a worker splices the fibre from the node to the fibre from the surrounding area, and then hangs it all up in the air out of the way.

When a technician arrives to install service to a nearby home, they check to see if the nearby pole already has a terminal block. If it doesn't, they attach a terminal to the pole with the correct number of ports for the terminated fibre there. This connection is plug and play, and doesn't need to happen if a nearby house had fibre and the terminal is already installed. The tech then takes a pre-terminated roll of fibre of a length appropriate for the install. This fibre is a combination of fibre and support wire for aerial installations. Aliant also offered an underground install from the nearest pole, but there was a waiting list, so I installed my own conduit from my parent's basement to the pole in front of their house. Once the tech had pulled the wire through the conduit, they ran it up the pole and attached it to the terminal block. The other end came up a few feet short, so he just added a six foot extension of indoor rated fibre cable, before connecting it to the optical network terminal in the home. The entire install was under two hours, including adding televisions and setting them up.

The entire system keeps the costs low, since only one fibre termination or splice is required, at the node. The technician who actually goes to the house doesn't need to know how to terminate fibre, it's all plug and play.

The entire system keeps the costs low, since only one fibre termination or splice is required, at the node. The technician who actually goes to the house doesn't need to know how to terminate fibre, it's all plug and play.
Very nice! Along with ClearCurve, it's all part of the suite of easy-install fiber methodologies that dramatically decrease the fiber ROI timescale compared to just 5 years ago.

Quick installs, but a separate waiting list for those who insist on underground installs, is a clever idea -- gives people incentive to speed things up by providing their conduit.

Very nice! Along with ClearCurve, it's all part of the suite of easy-install fiber methodologies that dramatically decrease the fiber ROI timescale compared to just 5 years ago.

Quick installs, but a separate waiting list for those who insist on underground installs, is a clever idea -- gives people incentive to speed things up by providing their conduit.

The waiting list is due to the conduit run being done by a different contractor than the actual home install. Aliant used mostly Nova Scotia companies for the work, and it is all contractors including the home installs, while other companies are in house. There are potential legal issues with customers running conduit, my guess is that they wouldn't want to encourage it. If a customer digs and hits something that's an issue, and I also have conduit running onto the road allowance and attached to the pole without explicit permission to do so.

The waiting list is due to the conduit run being done by a different contractor than the actual home install. Aliant used mostly Nova Scotia companies for the work, and it is all contractors including the home installs, while other companies are in house. There are potential legal issues with customers running conduit, my guess is that they wouldn't want to encourage it. If a customer digs and hits something that's an issue, and I also have conduit running onto the road allowance and attached to the pole without explicit permission to do so.
A customer could in theory do it legally -- i.e. call the "Dig" hotline, leap the bureaucracy hoops, sign the correct dotted lines, and get the greenlights, to install conduit for a driveway/backyard security or lighting system -- and use a conduit big enough that more wires can go through it, like future fiber. Bell should be obligated to be able to accelerate the installation of fiber via such legal customer-supplied conduit, or developer-supplied conduit (new subdivisions, etc) without throwing a brick wall at those.

What matters is that it should be possible via multiple legal routes, and favour shorter waiting lists whenever city/customer works to make it easier, fewer brick walls (a form of incentivization that reduces average cost-per-sub without completely preventing them from getting fiber if they don't want to do the work). In addition, beyond this, the Google Fiber City Checklist is a good template for a city wanting to welcome fiber at lower cost per subscriber.

There's a lot of documents on the Internet teaching customers how to install conduit (simple common PVC pipe, and gentle curved pipe fittings for the angles) -- fiber conduit installation is a project often easier than installing a large mains powered garden lighting system, or a large sprinkler system, or certain kinds of underground wireless dog fences. While fiber providers don't necessarily encourage, fiber-related forums (e.g. dslreports) are full of customers installing conduits for their fiber providers. The locations of the pre-spliced fiber on the poles are sometimes obvious, so customers know where to direct the conduit to. Of course, the "Dig" hotline should be used, and in practice, PVC conduit can be installed shallow along a garden next to existing sprinkler line or similar.

Incentivization of customer to do conduit themselves, is merely simply the longer waiting list for conduit-required installs, unless a conduit already exists -- that automatically reduces costs since the customer accelerates the conduit, eliminating a truck roll. In some juridisctions, this practice appears widespread based on the forum postings in some fiber forums. I would not be surprised that it has already halved the cost of FTTH final-wiring installs in many cases.

When there are ways for city, builder, and customer to simultaneously make it easier for a fiber provider -- and in combination with the new install methodologies like brand new pre-spliced fiber rollout systems, and lower-skilled installers, it no longer has to cost $2500 per subscriber for the detached house hookup anymore. This isn't the 1950s where phone handsets used to be hardwired to the wall and customers weren't allowed to touch in-house phone wiring...

Last edited:
Any news on this? We're looking for fibre providers for smaller condos in the distillery district but it's slim pickings right now...

Any news on this? We're looking for fibre providers for smaller condos in the distillery district but it's slim pickings right now...

Beanfield will wire up a condo building and will manage (separately) one account per unit for billing purposes. They only take the line to the building. The network inside the building is the responsibility of the condo, though they will install/manage that for a price too. Installing the vertical runs proved the hardest part for my building and we abandoned the project.

https://www.beanfield.com/residential/

The hardest part is wiring the building, especially if the developer didn't put in conduits. Once that's done you can change out providers pretty easily (majority vote at your AGM and a couple days from your manager/super).

Last edited:
The hardest part is wiring the building, especially if the developer didn't put in conduits. Once that's done you can change out providers pretty easily (majority vote at your AGM and a couple days from your manager/super).
Is conduit part of condo-building code nowadays? I saw conduit at The Murano, where I used to live for a little over a year.

Thank you RBT! I contacted Beanfield but they told me they only serve condos with more than 200 units. Do you know of any company that will do this for smaller condos?

Back