News   May 06, 2024
 226     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 770     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 602     1 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Queen's Quay update:

Currently in the formal EA process under a Class C schedule EA.

Expected to report out for approval this year, construction date is not yet determined, but the hoped for completion date is summer 2011. (which means construction no later than spring 2010.)

Project is likely to be in sync with the new Queen's Quay East LRT

This is good news, but rather frustrating that it is so far away.

And what is the new Queen's Quay East LRT?

Queen's Quay East LRT

The Queen's Quay East LRT is essentially the Harbourfront LRT, except in the opposite direction.

ie. It will use the same tunnel as harbourfront to access Union Station, and will emerge somewhere east of Bay Street on Queen's Quay where it will run east to Cherry Street, then northward to connect with the new Cherry Street LRT.

The Cherry Street portion of the project (King south to the railway corridor) has already been approved, with construction to begin by next spring (or sooner).

The Bayfront East (Queen's Quay East) portion has yet to go through the full EA process, but should be through by year's end I would think. They want to have it operational by 2012.

It will be operate in the same format (in all likelihood) as the revised Queen's Quay West.

There is some squabble as to how to handle the connection to Union Station, as there is going to be constrained tunnel capacity and station capacity; which already has to be expanded for the new Bremner Blvd line.

Bremner & Queen's Quay

Bremner Blvd: Nothing is for sure; however this is the recommended route of the West Waterfront LRT. It would go Union Stn, branch tunnel to somewhere west of the Air Canada Centre, then surface in the Bremner ROW. West of Spadina this ROW is already visible as an un-finished median, planned for future LRT.

The ACC and nearby bldgs were designed to accommodate an LRT tunnel.

Steve Munro has details on all this on his blog.

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=886

As to ridership on Queen's Quay, while it is most definitely higher in the summer/tourist season, it does reasonable volumes year-round.

But the eastern leg, keep in mind, would go through the Bayfront East area, which is to be redeveloped with medium to high density residential, major new offices and a college campus.

Back to the bike friendly issue...

I've noticed from time to time that there are "motorcycles" using the dedicated bike lanes and trails.

In theory I have a big problem with this, but yesterday I pulled up beside one who was using the bike lane as his own and was ready to say something until I realized his engine was barely making a sound. Instead of berating him I asked if it was an electric engine. It was. And suddenly I had no problem with him sharing the lane.

I've noticed from time to time that there are "motorcycles" using the dedicated bike lanes and trails.

In theory I have a big problem with this, but yesterday I pulled up beside one who was using the bike lane as his own and was ready to say something until I realized his engine was barely making a sound. Instead of berating him I asked if it was an electric engine. It was. And suddenly I had no problem with him sharing the lane.

It could also depend on whether or not is actually a motorcycle, moped, or a power-assisted bicycle. Even then, I'm not so sure which vehicle can use the bike lane. Check out the MTO website on New and Alternative Vehicles.

Power-assisted bicycles (e-bikes) are permitted on bike trails where motorized vehicles are otherwise prohibited. I believe they are allowed in bike lanes. But not mopeds, scooters, or certainly Admiral Beez's motorcycle.

city's just not interested

sometimes the city just doesn't care. unless there is something in it for them of course

for example.

Kingston road @ Port Union has bike lanes that run for about 1km at most. Right where it starts (leading to the city, west bound) a massive restructuring is taking place. tearing up the roads, putting in new curbs, and refitting the bridge over the rouge river. they are nearing completion, and its already obvious that they do not intend on extending the bike lanes.

I emailed Dan Mcteague who sent me to Wayne Arthurs.

this might be handy...

Thank-you for taking the time to contact the constituency office in regards to the construction of the Highway 2 bridge over the Rouge River and your concerns over more opportunities for people who are riding. Your e-mail will be provided to Mr. Arthurs for review.

This current project is a joint project between the Region of Durham and the City of Toronto. You may also wish to contact Mr. Dean Mitchelson with the City of Toronto at 416-392-8321. Mr. Mitchelson is in charge of this project.

If our office can be of assistance on any provincial government matters in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the constituency office at (905) 420-0829.

Sincerely,
Constituency Office
Wayne Arthurs MPP
Pickering-Scarborough East
(905) 420-0829

if you are interested please let them know what you think.
they truly don't get enough feedback from the public.

they also don't really do a very good job of asking the public anything before the start doing anything either.

sometimes the city just doesn't care. unless there is something in it for them of course

for example.

Kingston road @ Port Union has bike lanes that run for about 1km at most. Right where it starts (leading to the city, west bound) a massive restructuring is taking place. tearing up the roads, putting in new curbs, and refitting the bridge over the rouge river. they are nearing completion, and its already obvious that they do not intend on extending the bike lanes.

I emailed Dan Mcteague who sent me to Wayne Arthurs.

this might be handy...

Thank-you for taking the time to contact the constituency office in regards to the construction of the Highway 2 bridge over the Rouge River and your concerns over more opportunities for people who are riding. Your e-mail will be provided to Mr. Arthurs for review.

This current project is a joint project between the Region of Durham and the City of Toronto. You may also wish to contact Mr. Dean Mitchelson with the City of Toronto at 416-392-8321. Mr. Mitchelson is in charge of this project.

If our office can be of assistance on any provincial government matters in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the constituency office at (905) 420-0829.

Sincerely,
Constituency Office
Wayne Arthurs MPP
Pickering-Scarborough East
(905) 420-0829

if you are interested please let them know what you think.
they truly don't get enough feedback from the public.

they also don't really do a very good job of asking the public anything before the start doing anything either.

But Wayne Arthurs is an MPP and Dan McTeague is an MP. This isn't a provincial or federal issue. Have you contacted your city councillor? He's the one who could affect this.

I am not a fan of these bicycle paths, licensing for bikes, hand signals, helmets and other things that make cycling "safe"

I am one of the people who enjoys the interaction between cars and bikes.. It all takes a bit of common sense and defensive biking skills.

For example,
-check your blind spot periodically.
-when car turns right in front of you, pass it. do not stick along the curb.
-only cross the street when the way is clear

I think I am alone on this issue. But does anyone agree with me?

I don't see how you could be against helmets and hand signals architext, but I think your interaction opinion is valid. If the issue at hand is bike friendliness, one could argue that the amount of user segregation (say measured in km of bike lane) is of little importance. A city with mixed traffic and conscientious users could be far more "friendly" then one with an impressive system of dedicated bike lanes.

This thread needs a picture of a bicycle. Herewith, mine. Bought new oh so many years ago.

DSCF0161.jpg

Back