News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 610     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

The lanes even had their own signals, synchronized with vehicular traffic.

When you see this in action with signals in the Netherlands and in Belgium, you can't help but think how backwards we are. Car drivers complain about cyclists and the rules of the road, well give them their space and their rules. They obey them there. I never saw anyone run a bike signal.

Toronto Star: Toronto's mean streets

Toronto Star: Toronto's mean streets

As more cyclists share our crowded streets, collisions become inevitable. And when two wheels meet four, simple physics favours the car – often with life-changing consequences for the cyclist

Tess Kalinowski | May 23, 2009

http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/639204

Arthur Yeung was following all the rules as he biked out to meet friends last May 24.

"I did everything I could to be safe. I had light-coloured clothes, lights. I was still hit," says the soft-spoken 29-year-old.

Cycling had been his main mode of transport since moving back to Toronto from Montreal in 2003.

"I loved how I could go anywhere in 15 minutes. There was a freedom," says Yeung, one of 748 people reported injured in city cycling collisions between January and September last year.

Although fatalities are rare – one or two a year – the rate of cycling collisions has remained stubbornly stagnant for the past decade: between 1,100 and 1,200 annually, according to city statistics.

That might be good news, given the growing ranks of cyclists in the city. But per capita, Toronto has the most such collisions of any major Canadian city. And it's likely many incidents go unreported.

Cyclists on Toronto streets can be undereducated and careless, particularly at this time of year, when recreational riders decide they want to become bike commuters. There are also drivers who fail to check their mirrors for bikes or exit their cars without looking behind first, delivering the infamous "door prizes" responsible for many cases of road rash.

It doesn't matter who is to blame. When two wheels meet four, simple physics favours the car.

Yeung was making a left near the River St. bridge about 9:30 p.m. that Saturday. He never saw the vehicle that hit him from behind before driving away.

He has no memory of the collision that sent him airborne, depositing him unconscious in the middle of the road, his bike helmet a bloody, broken eggshell, his limbs disconnected from his brain by spinal fractures.

Temporarily left quadriplegic, Yeung spent 10 days at St. Michael's Hospital before entering a rehabilitation program, struggling for six months to regain the use of his arms and legs.

When released, he could no longer navigate the stairs and narrow hallway of his Leslieville apartment. He had his possessions packed away and moved to a furnished rental near Yonge St.

What it lacks in charm, the new apartment makes up for in security and an elevator. Yeung can easily get to his daily therapy sessions, the subway and the gym where he does strengthening exercises.

A home-care worker visits each morning to help him dress, chop food and manage other once-routine chores. He feels continued improvements in his legs, but his right arm hasn't been as responsive. Yeung tinkers with a guitar and keyboard in hope it will aid the recovery of his right arm and hand.

He doesn't know when he'll be able to return to his public relations job, or if he'll ride a bike again.

"I am grateful for everything I've got back. It could have been so much worse," he says.

He is too focused on his recovery to nurse a grudge. "I only have a limited amount of energy and I have to spend it wisely," says Yeung. "That person has to go to bed every night knowing they left me for dead."

Toronto police don't track how many people fail to remain at the scene of cycling collisions. Even when the cyclist gets a plate number, it can be difficult to identify a driver, says Const. Mig Roberts of Toronto Police Services.

"Identity is a huge issue," Roberts says. "Sometimes we get the plate but (the cyclists) don't get an identity of the driver. There's not much we can do. When we go to court we have to establish identity, and if we can't, there is no case."

When a silver car sent cyclist Ian Krykorka sprawling onto the sidewalk a couple of years ago, he reported the incident immediately.

"I was really badly cut up. I had strawberries from the road rash," he says. "I was looking at the car that slowed down to make sure I wasn't dead and as I started looking up they sped off."

When police asked Krykorka if he could identify the driver, he told them: "I was too busy making sure I wasn't killed."

"It ended with extreme disappointment with our police force. The police don't take cycling injury as (seriously as) they do a car accident," he said.

Roberts says that's simply untrue: protocol demands that any collision be properly investigated.

"When drivers make mistakes, consequences are a lot worse for cyclists," says Krykorka. "Cops call it the law of tonnage."

Cyclists try to look out for their own. There is a fundraiser for Chris Kasztelewicz, who lost a leg last year when he was hit by a taxi on Bloor St. W.

Shannen Leslie keeps a jar on the counter of his Kensington Market store, Red Arrow Bikes, to collect donations for injured cyclists. Many of his clients are couriers.

"There's a definite attitude about being in your car. It's easier to lose your attention. You've got the radio, you've got the windows up, a lot of people are still talking on their cellphones," says Leslie, adding he's no different than a lot of cyclists who also drive.

Elizabete Ludvicks doesn't know if the motorist who clipped her handlebars on March 28 was even aware the car made contact.

Ludvicks, who has delivered two babies at home, knows something about pain. But nothing prepared her for the aftermath of that seemingly minor collision.

It was a routine Saturday. Ludvicks visited a friend, then biked to her office to clean up some work.

Biking home westbound on Dundas St. W., she merged with traffic where the bike lane ended near Sorauren Ave.

"The last thing I remember seeing was a large grey vehicle that had just hit my handlebar and I was so freaked out I was completely spinning out of control," she says.

She doesn't know exactly what happened next, but believes she "flew off the bike and most likely hit the vehicle that hit me ... I had two severely broken wrists that both needed surgery to be repaired. I had a fractured right elbow and a broken orbital bone – the bone that surrounds your eye."

In hospital she was put on morphine for the pain, and that meant she "had to instantly stop breastfeeding (her daughter)," she says.

"That's been the hardest. I was breastfeeding nights and mornings. We had a close bond. After a week of me being in the hospital, she was afraid of me. She just felt so abandoned, I suppose."

Children adjust. Sometimes it takes longer for adults.

"It's still sad to see my 17-month-old run to her grandma rather than me," she says.

Ludvicks has a plate in one arm, and her wrists are strong enough now that she can hold a coffee cup rather than sip through a straw.

"One day you're a totally capable adult. All of a sudden you can't do anything. It's a real mental challenge to get over that," she said. "I feel lucky that I don't have brain damage or any permanent damage.

"I would like to think I will get back on a bike because I'm not the type of person who gives up, but I don't know. Once I actually get on my bike, I don't know if I'm going to feel as safe," she said.

I've always been a cautious and law abiding cyclist with minimal concern of being injured or hit while riding. I've had a few close calls and have been sucked into streetcar tracks twice (my fault) in the past 20 or so years. Since finding out I have osteoporosis but bad last December, I've been walking more than cycling this season mainly out of an illogical fear of falling. After this article I'm truly freaked. I think I have to give some serious thought to packing my bike away until the bones heal up.

Oregon, Minnesota, Idaho, and others either have or are looking at allowing rolling stops for bicycles (instead of stop, bicyclists must yield). In Ontario, if you are on a bicycle and you come to a stop sign, you have stop your forward momentum and put one foot on the ground.

In today's article the author points out that cyclists don't pay gas taxes or licensing fees when in fact local roads are paid for primarily through property taxes.. Especially operating fees.. not sure what it is in Toronto but for Waterloo it's something like 99% of operating costs for roads are paid through property taxes. I don't think the author emphasizes that point enough

Last edited:
As someone who doesn't drive a car and predomonantely cycles, I think I've definitely overpaid my share based on my use of the roadway with my property taxes. I'm sure the majority of the people like me who live downtown in the core would agree. We have been subsidizing the suburbs for years for their bloated car infrastructure. I'm ditching my bike if something as stupid as this is introduced. Since when did the environment falls so low on the priority list of so many? Since when was fat suburbia in again? I seriously think there is something wrong with people when there is so much negative attitude like this towards cycling, there are so many wins associated with it.

Before the car, there was the bicycle. Muddy York was called Muddy because of the dirt on the roads turning into mud with the rain. Bicycles had a hard time moving in the mud. So the roads were paved for the bicycles.
Then the car came on the scene and found a surface ready for them. So the paved roads in Toronto were originally built for the bicycle, but taken over by the car.

A place to park your bike, and lose your excuses

Tucked inside the enclosed pedestrian walkway on the west side of York Street, the new bicycle station will be used as a template for smaller versions across the city.

Over the next four years, the City of Toronto will install bike stations at Victoria Park, Kipling, Pape and Islington transit stations, as part of scheduled TTC upgrades.

A larger facility is planned for Nathan Phillips Square, providing storage for up to 400 bicycles.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ur-bike-and-lose-your-excuses/article1154685/

Before the car, there was the bicycle. Muddy York was called Muddy because of the dirt on the roads turning into mud with the rain. Bicycles had a hard time moving in the mud. So the roads were paved for the bicycles.
Then the car came on the scene and found a surface ready for them. So the paved roads in Toronto were originally built for the bicycle, but taken over by the car.

Source please.

I think it is more likely the horse cars, and later, electric streetcars that required a better surface for their ROW than streets that were reduced to mud in poor weather. Bicycles at this point in time were a novelty toy for the wealthy to ride on Saturdays in order to impress the ladies.

just my daily rant

On my commute to work today I saw the cyclist in front of me get hit by a car turning right.

The cyclist was doing only about 20km/h, the driver probably thought he could aggressively turn right and speed through, but when he tried he had to stop because pedestrians were in the way, causing the cyclist to slam directly into the passenger door. All morning the only thing that is going through my head is that easily could have been me. In this case, the cyclist is ok, minor scratches, but a busted up bike.

First, I'm sick and tired of cars overtaking on the left just to cut cyclists off on the right. If you need to turn right, WAIT behind the cyclist.

And finally, what the hell is the media doing reporting a war on cars? How is it a war if there are no casualties. Maybe at we looked at this from a different angle, they would see it is really a war on bikes they are waging. Why, because there are casualties.

It's unfortunate, but such accidents could also be avoided if cyclists going straight pass on the left vehicles seeking to make a right turn, or take the lane to avoid such situations. The good driver on both two wheels and four seeks to avoid such potentially dangerous situations and recognizes that there are unpredictable drivers. Sometimes one must boldly ride away from the curb to ride safely.

The cyclist did not have that option in this case. While I agree with you that solves things when drivers behave like this, in this case though the driver came over much too quickly, not expecting to stop for peds.

Richmond & Adelaide streets need to install contra-flow bike lanes, with a barrier. So it will be two way traffic, except one direction will be bikes only. That's a much better outcome than making them into regular two-ways.

Back