News   Apr 25, 2024
 376     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Gates: U of T, Prince's Gates, Trinity Bellwood

Claxton BLVD, off of Bathurst, north of St. Clair, has some nice gates. Across from the Hemmingway. Named after the guy who lived their who hated Toronto.

Fascism! Ha. Some people and their art schools. Still, if we had more Antonioni-like settings here, i'd be happy.

there was actually a lot of opposition on campus about the gates, because it was seen as a symbolic 'cutting off' of the university from the city. the argument was that UofT is unique in that it's more or less seamlessly integrated into toronto's street grid (i disagree, i think ryerson is more seamless than UofT, but that's my opinion), and that that seamless integration represented the university's role as a member and a part of toronto's culture, not as something that stands on it's own. the gates were basically seen as creating an ivory tower image for the university.

left-wing campus newspaper ranting aside, i dislike the aesthetics of the gates, but find that they're surprisingly functional, especially during the summer. many people use them as benches, and it's become a very popular meeting place

and i was surprised the article didn't mention my own favourite gates, the ones on the north end of philosopher's walk. i'm curious to see what will happen to them, with major new buildings going on up either side. personally i'd like to see the fences extended to meet up with both new buildings, and then a new water feature created below

Burgher:

In many ways, the symbolic "ghettoization" started with the St. George redo, followed by the Grad House cornice. I disagree with the argument that it "cuts off" the campus from the surrounding fabric, when in fact the change in feel is exactly what make it so endearing, IMO.

Completely agree with the aesthetics of the gate, however. It's rather stuffy and oozes Ivy-League attitude (which U of T, for much of its' ranting, isn't given the relative ease one can get it).

re: Philosopher's Walk

Not sure about the RCM side of things, but I've read that there will indeed be a water feature at ROM to interpret the history of Taddle Creek.

GB

I entered the Forbidden City yesterday evening through the alumni gates, and I noticed that fragrant blue wisteria has been planted at the bases of all the columns.

Ten years hence, when vigorous vines have entwined the gates, the long blossoms depending from them will give off a heady aroma. The wisteria will get full sun in that location too, which is what they require.

"In many ways, the symbolic "ghettoization" started with the St. George redo, followed by the Grad House cornice."

Don't forget the Wellesley to Hart House Circle tunnel under Queen's Park. It probably wasn't done "on purpose" but it has the same effect.

Nice wisteria around the entrance to the Institute of Mediaeval Studies on Queen's Park Crescent too.

I think it is reasonable to assume that the base of the alumni gates was designed as seating, given that it is at seat height. In time, when the fragrant wisteria swathes the gates, this will become an even more attractive proposition.

Back