News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 299     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 851     0 

Gallery Loft Towns (Beverley & Cecil, Ideas Development, 4s, DTAH)

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was just passing by that old long-empty building at Beverley and Cecil, and they've painted a mural on it and posted a sign advertising Gallery Towns. I'm guessing this means that the building will be replaced with townhouses.

This was reviewed at a ward 20 community meeting a couple months ago. It looked like a good infill project. I remember it had one of those garages that has an elevator to hold 4 cars with only 2 drive in spaces.

I am pretty sure it is at the NE corner of Beverley & Cecil Streets, just south of the U of T.

Developer aims to make building's bones green

SYDNIA YU

From Friday's Globe and Mail

June 20, 2008 at 11:37 AM EDT

For roughly a decade, Alex Spiegel was the director of development at Context Development, which was often among the first builders to create residential projects with select "green" features such as bamboo flooring and garbage and recycling sorters.

But Mr. Spiegel's new company, Ideas Development, is not only incorporating environmentally-friendly materials and features into its new downtown Toronto infill project, but applying principles of sustainability to some of its key elements.

"What we've tried to do is not necessarily add on a lot of hardware to make the building green, but to design it so its bones are green. … That way you use less energy," he says.

"There's a real interest and demand for that."
GalleryLOFTtowns
Enlarge Image
The Globe and Mail

The community, called galleryLOFTtowns, will consist of eight townhouses at Beverley and Cecil streets, north of the Art Gallery of Ontario and south of the University of Toronto.

South-facing windows — and some west-facing ones — will be larger than those on the north side to enhance passive solar heating during the winter. "You're getting free heat from the sun," Mr. Spiegel says, adding: "We're also planting deciduous trees all along the south side so they will shade those windows in the summer."

Each of the south-facing windows also will have an overhang to provide more shade in the summer when the sun is high.

"I haven't seen any buildings that have this feature," Mr. Spiegel adds.

Hardwood used for the floors will be certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, and sourced from a managed forest in Haliburton.

A space-saving stacker will be used to store cars (parking will cost $20,000). "People will be able to park eight cars in the space of four," he explains. "The space that would normally go to the garage ramps and lanes has been given over to backyards."

Finishes will be environmentally-friendly and help improve the health of residents, the company says. For instance, cabinetry will be formaldehyde-free, and kitchen countertops will be made from bacteria- and mould-resistant materials to cut down on the use of cleaning detergents.

The site — which was vacant for a decade — is in a pedestrian friendly location near Baldwin Village and Kensington Market — an area packed with restaurants, cafés, shops and food markets.

Streetcar and subway lines are easily reached, and the site is also on the St. George-Beverley bike lane. (The development will include storage space for bicycles.)

With a few units sold, the remaining ones have three- or four-level plans with street-level access, two or three bedrooms, as well as upper terraces or rear patios off combined living and dining areas.

Some models will have ground-floor offices, and living rooms with 13-foot ceilings; most units will have upper-level dens.

Kitchens will feature energy-saving, stainless-steel appliances; pantries; and islands with breakfast bars and sinks. Master suites will include walk-in closets, private bathrooms and south-facing terraces.

The monthly maintenance fee will be 15 cents a square foot.

Occupancy is scheduled for next summer.

galleryLOFTtowns

Builder/developer: Ideas Development

Size: 1,120 to 2,140 square feet

Price: $450,000 to $810,000

Sales centre: by appointment

Contact: Phone Chari at (647) 289-3001 or visit www.gallerylofttowns.com

I just reviewed the floorplans and I'm disappointed with the amount of stairs from the back-split design. Lots of wasted space and double height ceillings in some areas are going to be a b*tch to heat/cool.

Ugly. And now from the $700 000's according to the website. Ouch. That's a steep increase in 9 months - and especially during these last 9 months!

i remember going to this place when i was a student, it was a great bar. but i think it wasn't licensed.
it was a bar??? i always thought it used to be a supermarket or something

OT: I saw a sign somewhere recently (possibly on Dundas) that move-in is scheduled for 2010, and buyers get a free vespa

The Austrian Social Club

Lived briefly on Henry St. behind this building in the early 70s and it was an Austrian Social Club. Guess they had a bar but never went in. Grossman's was just down the street.

I think it also used to house an Austrian pavilion for Caravan, back when Caravan was the Doors Open/Nuit Blanche/Luminato of its day...

i remember going to this place when i was a student, it was a great bar. but i think it wasn't licensed.

Yes, "The Study Hall" and later, inexplicably, "The Student Hall". I went a few times in the mid nineties. For a short while, it gave the Dance Cave a run for its money with the UofT crowd.

I think it was closed for good by 1998. Neighbours were none too happy with the club detritus (such as, in those days, myself).

Yes, "The Study Hall" and later, inexplicably, "The Student Hall". I went a few times in the mid nineties. For a short while, it gave the Dance Cave a run for its money with the UofT crowd.

I think it was closed for good by 1998. Neighbours were none too happy with the club detritus (such as, in those days, myself).

i stumbled out of that place a couple of times as well. ahhhh the glory days.

2 May 2010 update: Wondering if it's going ahead? Website looks like some units have sold, while a few remain.

dsc03165ve.jpg

They used to have "raves" in this building c.mid-late nineties. It had a sort of ghetto rep.

Back