News   May 21, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 678     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 512     0 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

The police mandate is not to protect every window from being broken. Their mandate was to contain damage, injury, avoid major havoc. They accomplished this in magnificent fashion.

The latest comedy is the $45 million class action lawsuit on behalf of 1,000 protestors. That's $45,000 per protestor. And make no mistake, suing the police is actually suing we the taxpayer. Peepers, have you got your cheque book out?

The police mandate is not to protect every window from being broken. Their mandate was to contain damage, injury, avoid major havoc. They accomplished this in magnificent fashion.
They also have a mandate to follow their own rules, and not beat and degrade the prisoners in their custody. They failed this. And that aspect needs to have further study.

There is also suggestion that that they may have arrested some people without cause - which is not legal.

The latest comedy is the $45 million class action lawsuit on behalf of 1,000 protesters. That's $45,000 per protester. And make no mistake, suing the police is actually suing we the taxpayer. Peepers, have you got your cheque book out?

Who says the $45 Million has to come from the taxpayer? I would take all of it out of the Police budget since they are to blame - in fact while I was at it I would cut the police force in half since we have far too many cops in this city. Think of the money we would save.

As for the Police "mandate", it is their mandate to stop ALL crime that they witness taking place. What if the vandals had been inclined to set buildings on fire as was done with police cruisers? Imagine the huge loss of property and potential for loss of life! Entire city blocks could have been leveled while the police in full-riot gear stood by and observed. There is absolutely no excuse for the Police inaction caught on video.

What if the vandals had been inclined to set buildings on fire as was done with police cruisers? Imagine the huge loss of property and potential for loss of life! Entire city blocks could have been leveled while the police in full-riot gear stood by and observed. There is absolutely no excuse for the Police inaction caught on video.
You can't prove how the cops would have reacted to something that never happened.

Nice try.

Who says the $45 Million has to come from the taxpayer? I would take all of it out of the Police budget since they are to blame

Because the police budget is just some magical money that appears out of that magical hole in the wall the rest of government funds come from?

They also have a mandate to follow their own rules, and not beat and degrade the prisoners in their custody. They failed this. And that aspect needs to have further study.

There is also suggestion that that they may have arrested some people without cause - which is not legal.

Hold on, were people beaten and degraded in custody? I did not hear about that, although I did hear about crummy sandwiches, cool air conditioning, small glasses of water, and insufficient quantities of track suits for people uncomfortable in their weekendy protest-wear. But did not hear about beatings in custody. I suspect I wont't hear much more about it either.

Who says the $45 Million has to come from the taxpayer? I would take all of it out of the Police budget since they are to blame - in fact while I was at it I would cut the police force in half since we have far too many cops in this city. Think of the money we would save.

As for the Police "mandate", it is their mandate to stop ALL crime that they witness taking place. What if the vandals had been inclined to set buildings on fire as was done with police cruisers? Imagine the huge loss of property and potential for loss of life! Entire city blocks could have been leveled while the police in full-riot gear stood by and observed. There is absolutely no excuse for the Police inaction caught on video.

Do you have data to prove we are over-policed compared to other "world class" cities? Please don't be too selective in your sample.

Since when does any group of people fullfill 100% of their mandate without fail? Not me, certainly not you.

The latest comedy is the $45 million class action lawsuit on behalf of 1,000 protestors. That's $45,000 per protestor. And make no mistake, suing the police is actually suing we the taxpayer. Peepers, have you got your cheque book out?

I'm tired of hearing this cop-out when people try to seek redress for government wrongdoing. This is the only way those in power can be told in no uncertain terms that their actions were unacceptable. The real responsibility for millions in compensation being paid belongs with those who did the wrongdoing which led to the compensation to be paid.

Last edited:
I'm tired of hearing this cop-out when people try to seek redress for government wrongdoing. This is the only way those in power can be told in no uncertain terms that their actions were unacceptable. The real responsibility for millions in compensation being paid belongs with those who did the wrongdoing which led to the compensation to be paid.

Really? I dont hear these defences often at all. Redress for people incarcerated for 20 years for crimes they didn't commit, of course, and I've never heard of a complaint. Tainted blood - most definately. $45,000 for 6 hours in lock-up - definately not. Have an inquiry if you want, see where it goes, maybe someone will get fired if the case is proven. But I fail to see why any of these people need a little windfall to pay their mortgage.

Hold on, were people beaten and degraded in custody? I did not hear about that, although I did hear about crummy sandwiches, cool air conditioning, small glasses of water, and insufficient quantities of track suits for people uncomfortable in their weekendy protest-wear. But did not hear about beatings in custody.
Well known TVO journalist Steve Paikin observed, and reported on another reporter who was attacked by police while in custody; first punched in the stomach; and then pushed to the pavement with his head slammed to the ground, and leaving bruising and scrapes. He also reported that he had done nothing to deserve this, and was only trying to explain he was a journalist.

This has been extensively reported, I don't know why people are trying to pretend that some police didn't beat those in custody.

There's also extensive photographic evidence in the Star showing police removing their identification tags.

Well known TVO journalist Steve Paikin observed, and reported on another reporter who was attacked by police while in custody; first punched in the stomach; and then pushed to the pavement with his head slammed to the ground, and leaving bruising and scrapes. He also reported that he had done nothing to deserve this, and was only trying to explain he was a journalist.

This has been extensively reported, I don't know why people are trying to pretend that some police didn't beat those in custody.

There's also extensive photographic evidence in the Star showing police removing their identification tags.

It's strange that you're saying it's been extensively reported because I never saw this reported on any of the other media. None of my friends saw or heard this either. Why haven't any of us seen or heard this?

Do you have data to prove we are over-policed compared to other "world class" cities? Please don't be too selective in your sample.

Since when does any group of people fullfill 100% of their mandate without fail? Not me, certainly not you.

To be fair, it's been well documented that the city has more police now than previously and contiunes to be pressured to hire more officers in a era of overall declining crime rates.

This also on top of the Harper government plans to go ahead and build more prisons to hold more inmates when the stats show that right across the country, crime is down though the government is claiming that people are underreporting thus more prisons are needed. It makes no sense.

I'm beginning to wonder if building prisons and arresting more people is really about turning our system into some kind of business.

Last edited:
It's strange that you're saying it's been extensively reported because I never saw this reported on any of the other media. None of my friends saw or heard this either. Why haven't any of us seen or heard this?
Where have you been? We've discussed this previously in this thread.

Steve Paikin reported this extensively, and an entire special episode of The Agenda was devoted to it on June 28th. It has also been mentioned in the newspapers, such as the Toronto Star: http://www.thestar.com/article/836965--scharper-the-price-of-political-expediency and by CBC in their article: Police beat journalist covering G20: report as well as internationally in papers such as England's The Guardian.

Suggesting that these things that were very well documented didn't happen defies credibility!

My assertion that we have too many police in this city is based on the fact that THOUSANDS of police in full riot gear failed to arrest ANY of the vandals in the process of committing crimes. They just stood around and watched. What is the point of having all these cops if they don't intervene in stopping crimes. As for fulfilling "100% of their mandate without fail" the police did not satisfy ANY of their mandate. Their failure rate was 100%.

Because the police budget is just some magical money that appears out of that magical hole in the wall the rest of government funds come from?

Of course I'm aware that the money doesn't grow on trees - what I meant obviously - is no ADDITIONAL money would need to come from the taxpayer becuase we would take that money out of the bloated Police budget.

Back