News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

I still can't get over how police allowed these pathetic people to bust up Yonge Street (including every Mom 'n' Pop store). How the hell could police have been "caught by surprise"? It's not like the protesters suddenly decided to smash their way up Roncesvalles.

According to Police Chief Blair as quoted in the Globe & Mail, the police command apparently decided not to aggressively pursue the "black bloc" for strategic reasons... Basically the priority is to protect the security zone, so if your property is somewhere else, you may be on your own!

"Chief Blair explained that police feared the protesters would try to draw them away from the G20 security zone, so apparently opted not to pursue the protesters on their smashing spree. Better to see some windows broken than engage in running battles between police and protesters that scarred the face of Seattle during the world trade talks there in 1999."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/g8-g20/opinion/violence-by-a-few-mars-peaceful-protest-by-many/article1619924/

Buildup - you're right - from a certain perspective the damage is minor. that really isnt the point. The point is that these assholes feel that they can inflict damage randomly, on people who are merely trying to make a living and leave citizens feeling threatened and insecure in their own neighbourhoods. It is only by some stroke of luck that media or random people were not injured by the wreckless actions of the punks. On numerous occasions objects were hurled at cameramen and reporters. To me that shows an utter lack of respect and disregard for their fellow human beings (which they nominally claim to be protesting in the actions of corporations and governments). But you're right, the damage can be repaired and cleaned up - its the symbolic and emotional effect that is much more disturbing.

this photo was taken by MikeInTO. his caption reads: I saw some small business owners in tears cleaning up the broken glass after protesters destroyed Yonge Street

4736514487_25b46b1052.jpg

Last edited:
As for the damage on Yonge Street, not every second window was damaged. It was mainly the larger corporations like Nike, McDonald's, Burger King, Starbucks and places like that. A few smaller businesses were damaged, like a jewelry shop but for the most part, it was large franchises.
Many of those large franchises are just that, franchises. Owned and operated by small business people who are very affected by all this. And you'd be surprised how many small businesses don't have insurance. The large corporations aren't affected by the window-smashing at all.

No amount of policing can prevent a few windows from being broken for heaven's sake. We need some perspective here.

I doubt you'd be so cavalier if it was your business that your family worked hard for all their lives. Take a walk up Yonge Street today. It was hardly just a few windows.

No amount of policing can prevent a few windows from being broken for heaven's sake. We need some perspective here.
huh? the police out numberd the small group going around smashing a "few" windows,

Was I advocating violence?
Sorry, if I over reacted, but you were hardly condemning it. I really don't think "It reminded me of Nuit Blanch, with something to catch your attention everywhere. Is this the worst thing that has ever happened in Toronto? OK, a few cop cars got trashed and lots of windows of some very wealthy corporations got broken." is appropriate.

The government or insurance companies will pay for all the damage.
WHAT? That means you and I have to pay for it with my taxes and increased rates. Assuming that all those who suffered damage are insured.

We need to start shooting looters.

Well perhaps not in the head ... but the police should at least be trying to protect property, rather than simply protecting their precious VIPs. We're the one paying their salaries ... not Obama.

Was I advocating violence? What did I say that was pro violence? Um, I'm actually anti-violence. I was happy nobody got seriously hurt or killed. (including the police) I'd rather see windows get broken than people. Is there something wrong with me not getting worked up by broken windows? Am I glad windows got broken? NO! I just think that when you put it all into perspective, it's not so terrible

I agree completely. The way people are talking it sounds like all hell broke loose. By summit protest standards, what happened was probably the best we could hope for. I too am relieved that no one was killed yesterday. In 2001, at the G8 Summit in Italy, the police shot a protester and proceeded to run him over twice. There were border riots as people were denied entry into the country, one of which caused another death. In Seattle, while no one died, there were many serious injuries, police could not regain control of the city, and martial law/a curfew were put into place. At the recent riots in Athens, a bank Molotov cocktail was thrown into a bank. While the bank's employees escaped, three people on the second storey of the building were killed. In Toronto, windows got broken and a couple cars were destoryed. The police regained control of the city in the early evening. We will measure this protest in dollars - not in blood - which is something to be thankful for.

This may be unprecedented for Toronto, but it is not unprecendented for a summit this size in a city this size. The government knew there would be destruction when they decided to put the summit here, they knew it would disrupt the local economy and local lives, but they apparently didn't care enough to put it in a more secure and less populated area.

Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon and that today is a more quiet and peaceful day. I'm not trying to excuse or justify the violence, but we all knew it was a possibility. The silver lining to this cloud? Tens of thousands of peaceful protesters exercised their right to assembly and free expression yesterday. For the first time in a very long time, it seemed (if only for a couple hours before the violence errupted) that apathy was dead in Toronto.

If they were smart they would have done this in the middle of winter. Much less people would have turned out and we wouldn't have lost a nice summer weekend.

What is he protesting about? The message seems to be lost. Is he telling me to have a pleasureful enjoyment? Sorry, can't at the moment, being distracted by your ignorance.

Some of the vandals change and drop their outer clothing to blend in with the rest of the crowds. I hope the DNA on their dropped clothing (hair, skin) is usable by the cops.

Last edited:
We need to start shooting looters.

Well perhaps not in the head ... but the police should at least be trying to protect property, rather than simply protecting their precious VIPs. We're the one paying their salaries ... not Obama.

Police should be protecting lives over everything else. Shooting someone in the head is not a proportionally appropriate response to someone damaging property. Stick them in prison, sure, but taking a human life because they broke a window while countless innocent bystanders are hanging around? That would just provoke more violence on the part of the protesters and the situation would get worse, not better. Not to mention the fact that you can replace a window or a car, but you cannot replace a human life.

I know this won't be a popular sentiment on here, and it doesn't escuse the violence, but a lot of these establishments that were targetted (not all of them by any means) aren't exactly guiltless - althought here in Toronto we don't often get to see the hands of sweat shop workers who've spent years acid washing jeans or breathing in pesticides, etc. There are reasons for people to be pissed off, but they should work through proper and peaceful channels to make change in the world (like all those thousands of peaceful demonstators). Damaging property isn't only illegal, it's pretty pointless and doesn't solve anything.

I started watching media coverage of yesterday's march as soon as I got home from participating in it;I didn't see a single video of the thousands of people (like me) who marched peaceably,not a SINGLE video. Predictable; peaceful marches make for boring newscasts. Unlike Friday's march, the visible police presence on University was relatively minimal. I thought that was a brilliant strategy on their part. What wasn't minimal and very visible were the packs of thugs, dressed in black, racing south ahead of the march and then doubling back. My friends and I stopped in at Peter Pan for something to eat and found ourselves in voluntary lock-down as we watched the tail end of the peaceful march degenerate into panic as those black shirted thugs raced back from Spadina. The officers stationed next to the restaurant donned their riot gear and it went all down hill from there. Thanks to the staff of The Peter Pan for providing shelter and for the complementary white wine. I'm so sorry that the media and the thugs got what they wanted;a long violent show on prime-time.

Lucas Polak, 26, said he was across the street when the takedown occurred.

"There were a group of kids walking eastbound and three vans were following them," he said. "They weren't doing anything and they just came and took them down."

He said he saw the officers jump out of the vans and grab the people by their shoulders and move them against the wall. "It's kind of scary," Mr. Polak said.

Officers at the scene declined to comment on why the people were being detained, but one said "we don't know what kind of substances are on them."

Included in some of the peoples' belongings were water bottles, a two-litre juice container, and various beverage cartons.
bold emphasis

Last edited:
Casting doubt....

Maybe at this point, the police didn't exactly know who was involved and any suspicious looking activity or person however innocent was going to be stopped once the vandals started. Since I wasn't there I can only speculate. And is has been speculated that the police held back possible because they were trying to to avoid a full blown mob and panic in the streets.

Back