News   May 17, 2024
 2.5K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

Let me begin my comments by both expressing disgust with those who needlessly destroyed property, intimidated innocent by-standers, looted or otherwise damaged property to no useful purpose, regardless of one's politics.

I would also like to express my sympathy to said victims, and my sympathy to the front-line police, who in all fairness are an in an extraordinarily tough position.

Having said that, and without for one minute excusing criminal nonsense or the like........

I have a grave concern that this was entirely predictable; as protests turning violent is not new to these types of meetings, nor has it happened even once before. (rather several times)

Yet it does not happen, when Obama comes to Canada or the U.K or France etc. for a summit; even though the Americans (fairly or unfairly) are often to portrayed as the greatest villains by some groups.

I think this does have something to do with the way in which these events are planned and run; and that doesn't excuse criminal behavior; but rather does mean their may be ways to prevent it, which have not been adopted.

First, while I absolutely understand the need to secure a hotel in which many of the world's power brokers are staying, or a convention facility and a small adjacent area; setting up a gigantic perimeter with several thousand police, with a militaristic fence etc etc........does have the effect of a suggesting world leaders need not hear or heed legitimate protest; and does seem like waving the red flag in front of proverbial bull.

That the bull does violent things after seeing the red flag does make the bull right, or excuse its conduct, but neither does it makes those waving the red flag seem sensible.

It strikes me that what keeps this nonsense from happening at everyday summits is that many people and all media can get in close, ask questions and protest within sight of visiting leaders, normally.

This tends to take all the 'fun' and the steam out of those who want to create a big mess.

As soon as you set up a gigantic fence, its reminiscent of teliling your 14 year old SEX IS BAD, you can't even date. See what happens?

Right, note that U.S. (the most sexually repressed major country) has the highest teen pregnancy rate; while those who are most liberal (Swedes, Dutch) have the lowest.

As soon as your parents say its cool; your not so interested anymore; its still ok, LOL, but your not in the same hurry to rebel.

I would rather they moved these huge summits to tele-conference....

But if they must hold them; they should allow the protesters almost to the door. They should agree to let representatives present or read a petition, and if they get enough signers, maybe even get 5 min. to address the G20.

That would make these protests dissipate quickly, I think, and take the steam out of most (but not all) troublemakers.

Once that's done though, the few who remain as mere thugs will stand out more; and have far less protection from the crowd.

That's just my 2 cents.

Northern Light: I agree wholeheartedly with your bull analogy and everything up until the teleconference/petition stuff ( I just think there's better ways to go about participatory global governance). When you spend $1billion+ and hype up the concept of security, it's inherent that something is expected to counter it. And you know what? A couple police cars burning and some broken windows is relatively minor. It's not even close to international news.

Last edited:
It may not be international news (although it is being reported internationally....i am getting emails from people in several countries asking me "what is going on?") but it is a big local story.

good luck to the first city/country that hosts one of these events and says to the othe r19 leaders "I have this funky participatory idea for protests and security. It is not like we have done it before but I think it will work. On behalf of my country, though, I would like to apologize to you and your country in advance if it does not work".

We are not bulls we are human beings....if the excuse for trapping police officers in their cars and beating in the glass or burning several police vehicles or severly damaging businesses (some of which are just individuals trying to earn a living) or intimidating the citizens of anotherwise peaceful city into leaving town or staying indoors...if the excuse for that is "well you said you had built a secure envro so we took that as a red flag and needed to prove you wrong"...if that is the excuse for what we have witnessed today then we are a lot closer as a species to the animals in the analogy than I am comfortable believing.

These people are attention seekers. The reason they come here (or anywhere) during G8s or G20s is because all of the cameras of all the networks around the world are here to see their tantrum. When one leader visits another country for one on one visits the media attention is much less.

Both sides....

I'm annoyed with both sides.

I'm not happy with a billion dollar party being given for people that easily could have done on a smaller scale and located somewhere else, away from a large urban centre and the chaos it tends to attrack.

And I am definitely not happy with the smaller group of vandals who came only to cause trouble and destroy properly. They just aren't part of any legitmate cause that I know of. Just trouble makers travelling around from place to place causing shit.

But all in all, this is a very tamed protest and supposed riots compared to other parts of the world. Just look at what happens in Montreal for example. And that's when they win.

The protestors are NOT making my opinion turn against the politicians. If they were protesting something specific, I might listen, but instead they're just smashing and destroying so my opiinion turns against the protestors, not against the summit or those involved. But hey, that's just me, being logical and directing my anger and disgust at those causing the problem.
I'm not directing anger and disgust at the politicians, if that's what you're implying. The question was asked, what goals does smashing windows achieve. I was offering some thoughts, that's all. And whether it's their goal or not, the violence doesn't do the government leaders any favours in the court of public opinion.

Yeah, Miller has the right idea - calling them Anarchists gives them far too much credit. They're little more than vandals and intellectually inept agitators, no different from soccer hooligans. The G20 (or soccer match) are just an excuse to gather in numbers and cause trouble.

and MisterF - talking about them being incited by police doesn't have to be referring to Quebec. It's been a common refrain from protesters of all stripes that they were peaceful and only reached the point of violence or damage because the police instigated it. That batons and pepper spray got them frothing at the mouth and caused a mob mentality to make them do things they wouldn't otherwise have done. Everyone knows it's bullshit, since you don't show up in balaclavas and ski masks carrying fireworks and chunks of concrete to a peaceful protest.
Woodbridge Heights was chastising those who would "dare claim that riot police would only incite the protesters". Since nobody here has been blaming the poilce for inciting anything in Toronto, it seemed like an odd comment to make. And since people were talking about the Montebello protest only a couple pages back, is it such a leap to think he was referring to that conversation?

BTW, police being unnecessarily confrontational can be counterproductive. You mentioned soccer hooligans - police have shown a much softer presence at English soccer games in recent years and the fans have been much more peaceful. It's all about being pragmatic and showing the proper response for the situation. Obviously riot police are needed for a G20 summit.

It's like watching running of the bulls. people getting too close to police lines are getting arrested

I think its a good tactic on the part of the protesters to march down Yonge as they are doing right now en masse. It is a much better way to cap off an otherwise reckless day committed by a small minority.

WHAT A FUCKING MESS!!!!!!! OMG!

I am incredibly pissed about this whole G20 but I'm more missed now with the minority group of radical anarchists that are DESTROYING MY CITY!! Who do they think they are?? Do they honestly think they have the right to destroy private property? I entirely support peaceful protests -- I've participated in these many times myself. But I in no way support violence.

I also am hugely frustrated with the fact that most of these "protesters" are nothing but media whores who are interested in nothing more than filming the whole thing so they can put it on their facebook and twitter accounts. They don't seem to be interested in the real G20 issues, they don't wield signs or posters, they're nothing but shit disturbers who are bored and wanna have some fun on a Saturday night. Get a life.

Round them up and throw them in the meat grinder... they have nothing helpful to offer this world.

Oh civilization, how thin is your veneer.

catspaw.jpg

I blame the prime minister and his advisors for insisting on having the meetings in the core. What the #&^% were they thinking?? I doubt that the businesses damaged, will see a nickel from the fed's in compensation. At the end of the day, Harper will declare the meetings a success and turn his back on us like always. The only winners after this weekend will be the G20 leaders and their spouses ( they had a great party with good food and drink), The Black Block (because they got to burn and pillage without too much hassle) and the security forces (because they were working triple over time). The losers, the citizens of Toronto!

Personally, I'm an anarchist's anarchist. That is, I'd rather go down to the scene of the action carrying a megabomb in order to blow everyone up within a 3-kilometer radius. That'll show those pseudo-anarchists what kinds of wusses they really are

A better use of all that federal money for city security might be to just expand Deerhurst or something to fit all the people for the G20, and in the process increase the amount of people that cottage country could take in later. We could have offered the delegates special deals for a rather more relaxed stay in Huntsville in August!

Back