News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 537     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

how do you know?
I personally don't think anything significant will occur, but I'm not going to say something as foolish as "It's not like there's going to be a terrorist attack or bombs going off." All it takes is one person with an idea.

While I completely disagree with the summit being held here in Toronto and especially downtown where it's going to cause so much unnecessary chaos for people, you just can't have leaders from countries coming here and leaving them wide open for an attack.

Besides protestor have you actually paid attention to the history regarding terrorist attacks these last several years? Do you remember NYC, London, Madrid, the botched plot here in Toronto and numerous others? You couldn't serioulsy have thought that terrorists wouoldn't be intersted in blowing up parts of Toronto with all these leaders here.

It's unbelievable that theatres, U of T, The Banking Centre and just about everything else is shutting down or moving to other locations for the week leading up to the summit.

Hmmm, do Wall St. firms move to other locations when world leaders come to the UN? Does Broadway shut down for the same reason? Do New Yorkers panic when the President comes to town?

What's the deal, Is Toronto a world-class city or a small town?

I'm just say'n and think'n.

Waste of time

These summits are a complete waste of time.

Seems more like an excuse to gather, party and have the taxpayer pick up the tab. And why can't they find a permament home for summits like this? Somewhere remote and guarded and doesn't require shutting down entire cities.

But I guess I'm living in a dreamworld...

Canada never should have agreed to hosting this at this point in time. Only the US and China have the expense account to blow through $1 Bn like confetti and still have every country in the world eager to trade partner with them. Meanwhile Canada's trade/industry's dying out and our infrastructure is lacking, so I'd much rather had seen that money go towards something of lasting benefit to Toronto; not a three-day paid vacation for security guards/police from the nation over and some fancy, hi-tech gadgetry.

Canada never should have agreed to hosting this at this point in time. Only the US and China have the expense account to blow through $1 Bn like confetti and still have every country in the world eager to trade partner with them. Meanwhile Canada's trade/industry's dying out and our infrastructure is lacking, so I'd much rather had seen that money go towards something of lasting benefit to Toronto; not a three-day paid vacation for security guards/police from the nation over and some fancy, hi-tech gadgetry.

Will you still somehow manage to excuse PM Harper from this one? What happened to his frugal ways?

Will you still somehow manage to excuse PM Harper from this one? What happened to his frugal ways?

I blame Vic Toews for this moreso than Harper. Just because I'm conservative-leaning doesn't mean that I won't call out a boneheaded political decision when I see one.

When was Harper ever frugal or fiscally conservative? Every budget of his has had record spending increases.

it's called stimulus spending.... supporting UNIONs... etc..
it's too bad we can't go to a less partisan type of politics a la Michael Bloomberg and the 'conservative' party.

I blame Vic Toews for this moreso than Harper. Just because I'm conservative-leaning doesn't mean that I won't call out a boneheaded political decision when I see one.

Everything is run through the PMO. That's the way Harper plays.

$2 million fake lake inside of the Direct Energy Centre to make it "pretty" for the media centre...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/820221--fake-lake-hits-bottom?bn=1

What's next? Is the PM going to install one of those novelty money machines inside of the MTCC and give every world leader 60 seconds to grab as much of our taxpayper money as they can?

money_machine.jpg

Imagine Berlusconi in that...

What's next? Is the PM going to install one of those novelty money machines inside of the MTCC and give every world leader 60 seconds to grab as much of our taxpayper money as they can?

money_machine.jpg

Imagine Berlusconi in that...

well, for starters the text on that booth should read "grab for ass". :)

I find it weird that authorities in both Canada and the USA go into a state of panic and security hysteria when there are public demonstrations and marches of any significant size. Look at the kind of large regular demos that most European capitals have had over the last decade, whether the issues have been domestic (e.g. the usual lycée students or union demos in Paris) or international (e.g. the mega demos against the 2003 Iraq invasion), sometimes involving 100's of thousands of people.

Is this because people are usually more passive politically in N.A., so that any kind of mass political expression seems out of place, or at least devalued, because not socially or politically "efficient", i.e. yield influence and outcomes in some way? Honestly, I have no explanations or ideas... what do you think is the reason for such fear of, and repressive reaction to, democratic expression in an ostensibly democratic country like Canada?

Back