Forest Hill Condos, The (Lash Development, The Goldman Group) - Real Estate -

500 st clair west

Anyone bought there?

I bought there some years ago and am still waiting. The latest I heard was that I would move in Dec 2009 but someone on this list seems to have heard April 2010.

I pass by it every day and there are always people working there during the week. They are now working on the third floor. But it doesn't seem to be moving very quickly. Someone from Lash told me they would have better access once leases expired and they could demolish some of the other places on the block. They have now done so and have a ready-to-open sales office for 530 on that block.

However, they don't have official permission to build the 22-storey block they have presented to the city. They have been asked to return to the drawing board because of complaints from local home owners.

There is some talk that these developers have bought other land in addition to the whole 500-534 block and will be doing further development projects.

clarification

IHowever, they don't have official permission to build the 22-storey block they have presented to the city.

I should have clarified -- it's the 530 they don't have permission for; the building at 500, of course, is approved.

Hi guys

I bought a unit at the sale centre last Sat (Sept 19), they had a preview sale

1 bedroom from 250k
1+1 bedroom from low 300k
2 bedrooms from 340k
2+1 bedrooms from 400k

anyone else bought a unit there?

Has 530 been approved?

I bought at 500 St Clair and was present at the last community meeting to introduce 530. It had not been approved by toronto and east york committee at that time. Urban planners at the time sent the developers back to do more shadow studies. At the time the proposal was for a 22 storey building. When was the 19-storey building approved so that they can sell units? I missed that. I thought that what was approved just last week was to tear down what's already there. If the building has been approved, promises of further consultation with thecommunity have been broken.

Today is the grand opening for 530 st clair west. I went there again to discuss some amendments. The builder told us it has been approved by the city, now they are doing some final paper work. I am not quite sure if he is bullshitting us.

I bought at 500 St Clair and was present at the last community meeting to introduce 530. It had not been approved by toronto and east york committee at that time. Urban planners at the time sent the developers back to do more shadow studies. At the time the proposal was for a 22 storey building. When was the 19-storey building approved so that they can sell units? I missed that. I thought that what was approved just last week was to tear down what's already there. If the building has been approved, promises of further consultation with thecommunity have been broken.

If they are having a grand opening and already started selling units weeks ago, I can pretty much guarantee that it has been city approved. See Solaris' post #101 earlier in this thread:

This confirm that the height for Phase 1 is 23 storeys and Phase 2 will be 19s ~

For consideration by Toronto and East York Community Council on Sept 15/09:

This proposal is to demolish the existing mixed use buildings, containing 9 residential rental dwelling units and commercial uses and replace them with a 19-storey mixed use building at 524 – 534 St. Clair Avenue West with 155 residential units and commercial uses on the ground floor. The proposal includes replacement of the nine residential rental units to be demolished.

The proposed mixed-use development demonstrates quality design, which is consistent and compatible with the evolving character of the St. Clair Avenue West and Bathurst Street intersection.

This report reviews and recommends approval of the applications to amend the Zoning By-law and under Municipal Code 667 to demolish the residential rental units.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-22266.pdf

My tentative occupancy date for 500 St Clair is December 15, 2009. However when I called the sales office today to ask about a final occupancy date, they said they have not sent out any letters yet because the roof is not on. Reading over the Tarion laws (here), I'm pretty confused whether they should be paying me compensation for a delayed closing date or not.

edit: oops, looks like I read over the wrong section since I signed my contract before June 2008 so am not eligible for any of the changes to the Tarion law. However the site does say "If you are not given notice of the confirmed occupancy date 90 days before the tentative occupancy date, then the tentative date automatically becomes the confirmed date for the purpose of calculating compensation for the delay." So basically this means that they HAVE to update me since it is already less than 90 days before Dec 15, 2009, otherwise that automatically becomes the final closing date?

Last edited:
Just received notice of confirmed occupancy date

I also bought well before June 2008 and had a tentative occupancy date of December 15, 2009. I just received a notice that the confirmed date is now March 15, 2010 which suits me fine. But it includes a statement that by signing the notice I give up any right to compensation for the change. Did you receive the same kind of notice? What's your take on this?

Stellab

My tentative occupancy date for 500 St Clair is December 15, 2009. ..."If you are not given notice of the confirmed occupancy date 90 days before the tentative occupancy date, then the tentative date automatically becomes the confirmed date for the purpose of calculating compensation for the delay." So basically this means that they HAVE to update me since it is already less than 90 days before Dec 15, 2009, otherwise that automatically becomes the final closing date?

I also bought well before June 2008 and had a tentative occupancy date of December 15, 2009. I just received a notice that the confirmed date is now March 15, 2010 which suits me fine. But it includes a statement that by signing the notice I give up any right to compensation for the change. Did you receive the same kind of notice? What's your take on this?

Stella,

That's great to hear you got a confirmed closing date! I emailed Lash Development last week and all they'd tell me is they'd get back to me soon. Since I'm only two floors above you I hope my move-in is not much later -- it would be perfect if it landed on my birthday, which is March 29. :)

I actually contacted my lawyer last week about my confusion on the closing dates. He sent me a scan of Section 14 of our contract, and highlighted s. 14(f) which basically says that even though "Tarion's policies" (actually, the Ontario New Home Warranties Act) provides for certain notice periods with financial consequences to the vendor if they fail to meet those requirements, the vendor is allowed to give less notice than the prescribed amount, or no notice at all, subject to its liability for those financial consequences. So even though s. 14(b) makes December 15 the confirmed occupancy (or "closing") date, that does not mean a lot, because s. 14(d) and (f) combine to allow further extensions of that date anyway.

In the end, if you expect to receive compensation for the delay, I'd bring the letter over to your lawyer first. But technically they are giving us over 120 days notice of the extension, so really I don't think we'd have any room to negotiate compensation anyway but again, I'm no lawyer.

The sales office emailed me a scan of the Amendment to the Confirmed Closing Date, mine is set for April 22, 2010 (on the 8th floor). My lawyer gave me some notes about their amendment though, which didn't surprise me. Hope everything goes according to plan!

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi to all those who've bought here (500), like myself...

I'm looking forward to stepping out on that balcony.

;)

Oh one other thing, it seems there is a facebook group for this building... Do a search for "500 St Clair West " and you should find it. When I joined there was only one member, but maybe this will start to grow now...

Last edited:
Welcome to the board bloke! What floor are you on and when did you purchase? I'm on the 8th floor, north facing, purchased in Nov 2006 -- wow just realized that was 3 years ago. :eek:

Back