News   May 03, 2024
 968     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 596     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 286     0 

FLOW: Canada on the Move (Fed Funding Details)

My second point is that there's yet no mention of any freeways (a 412, let's say) between the 401 and 407 that way.

Two north-south connections between the 401 and 407 are planned in Pickering and Oshawa.

Part of the deal for federal funding of the Spadina Line running to Sorbara's riding was the province giving the go-ahead for the 407 running through Flaherty's riding - politics is always local. Which could be good for Sheppard in the next round of expansions as the next two stops are in Caplan's riding.

Wouldn't a 427 or 410 extension be more of a priority then the 404?

It makes sense to build a 400-series link sooner rather than later if the 407's steadily creeping eastward. The links may be planned, but when are they projected to be built?

I wonder if Jimmy K (+Cannis/Lee) can cobble together enough support to get the Sheppard extension on the table should the Liberals retake power.

I think that the 427 and 410 extensions were already covered in a previous funding announcement. They clearly make more sense in the short term than the 404. I think the province is hoping that getting that highway up to Ravenshoe will also take some cottage-goers off the 400/11.

re:Transit dollars=buying your vote!

"Let's get us some votes" time is here once again.

For VIVA this is Stage 2, Phase 1- dedicated lanes between Finch and Richmond Hill Centre. I guess Stage 2, Phase 2 would be the further extension beyond Hwy. 7?

p5

Re: re:Transit dollars=buying your vote!

The National Post has the MTransitway running along the QEW instead of the 403. Made me smile. The York U extension also looks huge when put on an at-scale map. It's really an impressive extension. Really move up there.

I wonder if Jimmy K (+Cannis/Lee) can cobble together enough support to get the Sheppard extension on the table should the Liberals retake power.

I'm certain a second Liberal term provincially will result in additional subway funding. It will be interesting to see what priorities are outlined by Rob MacIssac and if these simply become "the plan" or if they are specifically stated as election promises (McGuinty will be making far fewer promises this time - probably with just a Harper like small list of action items).

John Tory may be harder pressed to get his caucus to sign off on additional subway expansion, but I'm certain given the current political climate and emphasis on transit/transportation gridlock by both the general public and the business community that a PC provincial election victory would also result in new subway expansion funding in the post election 2007-2011 period.

Either way the Spadina extension is likely just the first new subway to be funded (and hopefully start construction) before the end of the decade.

I agree, as long as the city actually starts planning addition subway lines.

Will any of this eventually lead to the tolling of a renumbered-into-407 115 into Peterborough?

That's one way to kiss the swing riding of Peterborough goodbye.

In other words, I doubt it. I think the only highways that will be tolled in MTO's plans will be a Mid-Pen, 407 extensions, possibly a 413. No current highways will likely see tolls, even though I would support such things as HOT pricing on the 401 Express and maybe other GTA highways.

Star

Link to article

New roads only drive sprawl: critics

Mar 07, 2007 04:30 AM
Peter Gorrie
Environment writer

The new commitment to expand three GTA highways is completely at odds with claims by the federal and Ontario governments that they want to combat air pollution, climate change, urban sprawl and traffic congestion, critics say.

"The plans are absolutely fatal to what we're trying to achieve," Mark Winfield, of the Pembina Institute, said yesterday.

He was commenting after Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced funding for public transit, contingent on the province's pledge to complete the highway projects. These are "highways to sprawl," Winfield said. "There's no other way to describe them."

The announcement confirms three projects that have been under discussion for some time:

Extend Highway 404 from Newmarket to Ravenshoe, at the southern end of Lake Simcoe, by 2012: Cost, $250 million.

Extend Highway 407 some 67 kilometres east to Peterborough, with links to Highway 401 through Pickering and Oshawa, by 2013: Cost, not specified.

Widen Highway 7 across Durham Region, by 2012: Cost, $55 million.

Although yesterday's announcement included no federal funding for these road projects, Ottawa is developing a new infrastructure program that will include highways, said a spokesperson for Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon.

All of the routes run through the official Greenbelt, whose creation was intended to curb sprawl around the Golden Horseshoe, and the 407 extension "will be boring a whole new corridor" through that area and the environmentally sensitive Oak Ridges Moraine, Winfield said.

Major highways have a history of leading to car-centred development, long commutes and added air pollution, said David Donnelly, of Environmental Defence.

New roads will lead to new development and infrastructure that ultimately impinges on the Greenbelt.

Since there are few residents or jobs along the proposed extensions, if development doesn't follow, "you're wasting taxpayers' money," Donnelly said.

The highways will "embed long commuting times," Winfield said.

"The whole idea behind what the province has said it's supposed to be doing is to reduce long-distance commuting, not promote and facilitate it."

"They clearly make more sense in the short term than the 404. I think the province is hoping that getting that highway up to Ravenshoe will also take some cottage-goers off the 400/11."

If it was extended to Hwy 48 near Sutton like it was once planned, then maybe it'd divert cottagers from the 400. Going to Ravenshoe, the main beneficiaries are employed people in Georgina, most of whom will take the 404 to get to work, especially if the Bypass ever gets built.

The current government's policy is not to toll existing highways, and not to toll highways where there isn't an easily accessible expressway alternative. For example, that means that a new 407 extension or Niagara-GTA corridor could be tolled since they closely parallel the 401 and QEW respectively. By contrast, a highway 69 upgrade would not be tolled since there's no easy alternate.

Back