News   May 03, 2024
 594     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 368     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 208     0 

First Nations Day of Action Protests

On the way to work this morning I noticed that young native man was continuing his perpetual day of inaction protest at the south-west corner of King and Bay.

I have to admit that when they announced the National Aboriginal Day of Action on CBC Radio, I quickly worked out the accronym as NADA, meaning nothing in Spanish. Not the best choice of titles for your protests.

On Saturday night the young Native man at King and Bay was sitting on the sidewalk with a shiny white cast on his leg, with paramedics nearbye and their vehicle parked there. I assume they had just brought him back to his home.

I think if I was native and had the means and employable skills, I'd leave Canada entirely and settle new roots somewhere else. A native person in parts of western Europe, such as Britain would fit right into the multicultural malaise of the place. Sure, I'd have to give up the special status, but in return I'd be gaining a great sense of equality amougnst the millions of others of a multitude of shades, languages and nationalities that now make Europe home.

We're citizens of the world first, and should seek out the best place for ourselves. In much the same way my parents left Britain for a better life in Canada, there is always the case for some to leave Canada for a better life elsewhere. If I was native, looking around at my circumstances in Canada, I'd be on the first plane or boat to explore India, South Africa or Australia.

The young native man has moved his Day of Inaction elsewhere.

He's now sitting on the sidewalk outside the Irish Embassy pub at Yonge and Wellington, and the cast on his leg is painted an appropriately bright shamrock green.

my thoughts about the day of action:

1. Blocking a train line - not very environmentally friendly.
2. Putting videos online so any yahoo idle lout worldwide has a how-to to block a rail line - not very nice either
3. If they had blockaded Ottawa airport on the day the Commons rises they would have gotten a lot more attention.

re: point number three.

They would have been cleared out much faster than off a railway track.

hydrogen - true, but I bet there would be cameras rolling, not to mention that any response would be tempered by dread of Oka, Ipperwash etc.

Back