News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 910     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Kipling has express buses, both north and south of the subway. And with 10 minute headways.

transit_city_busplan.jpeg

Kipling would be my choice for the next LRT in Etobicoke... after Eglinton and Finch West.
I agree that an LRT on Kipling could be a great route , very busy & lot of apartments @ the north end.
But you would need to run it over a the 407 (expensive long bridge span) to hwy 7 some way. This would make it a more complete route to Woodbridge.
Other wise ending it @ Steeles ave. would be incomplete ( not much there).
Also the city just repaved Kipling all the way down from the 401. Good timing to rip it up again!

What? What are the routes 123, 110A, 191 and 192 then?

The Highway 27 corridor is perfectly suited to BRT and would connect a lot of nodes (Long Branch, Sherway Gardens, Cloverdale/potential subway connection, Etobicoke Civic Ctr, Renforth Gateway, Pearson Airport, Woodbine Racetrack, Woodbine Ctr, Humber College, 407 Transitway)
True, but any BRT will run in "MIX" traffic since MTO has no room for any ROW nor do they plan on removing 2 lanes of traffic for it even if buses were coming every 5 seconds.

"A feasibility study to determine potential routings for the future westward extension of the Etobicoke-Finch West LRT to the vicinity of Woodbine Live! development and the Pearson International Airport has been completed and is under review."​

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...mber_16_2009/Reports/Request_for_approval.pdf

I don't know where that feasibility study is but that implies it was complete in 2009.

Well well! I have asked the TTC if they can dig this up. Surprising it wasn't mentioned at the meeting...

Kipling has express buses, both north and south of the subway. And with 10 minute headways.

transit_city_busplan.jpeg

Kipling would be my choice for the next LRT in Etobicoke... after Eglinton and Finch West.
The LRT should just end at Eglinton to meet the Crosstown West. I don't see and demand close to LRT requirements between Eglinton and Line 2. Express buses (45E) just shuttle people to the north without a single stop between Eglinton and Kipling Station. If you run a bus south of Eglinton only, you can't even fill the bus at 15 minute headway outside of peak hours.

My impression from riding the Kipling bus is that the express really isn't any faster. There isn't a lot of overtaking. You call a bus 'express', pull up at a major stop, most people get on because they are going to a major intersection. But if the local bus arrives first, they get on it instead.

BRT would serve both needs and hopefully decrease transit time.

A Kipling BRT should go all the way to the Lakeshore. There will continue to be development along the lakefront, and Humber College is a big destination down there. Developing Six Points will add to this.

- Paul

My impression from riding the Kipling bus is that the express really isn't any faster. There isn't a lot of overtaking. You call a bus 'express', pull up at a major stop, most people get on because they are going to a major intersection. But if the local bus arrives first, they get on it instead.

BRT would serve both needs and hopefully decrease transit time.

A Kipling BRT should go all the way to the Lakeshore. There will continue to be development along the lakefront, and Humber College is a big destination down there. Developing Six Points will add to this.

- Paul

It should go from Lakeshore to Steeles in a completely separated ROW.

Hello

Just wanted to bring this to somebody's attention ( Metrolinx or Toronto Rescue - 311) that there's another problem with the intersection @ Finch ave. west & Signet Dr.
I was up in that area finishing up a Sig Mod with Two pay duty's , a crew of 5 & was working all day on the North East Corner (NEC) .
Many,many Large Trucks heading west on Finch & turning right ( Green Right Arrow on W/B signal head ) to go North on Signet Dr.
This is a very tight turning radius for the Trucks to negotiate!

I would say every other truck climbed the curb @ the NEC even though I had hole pile of safety pylons , Beacons , Arrow Boards, Pay Duties & that didn"t prevent a very Dangerous situation on that Corner! ONE TRUCK CRUSHED ONE OF SAFETY BARRIERS While I was on the N/E/C . SCARY!
This is a Major Problem through out this Great City of Ours!

All you have to do is either stand near that Corner , But I Wouldn"t do that for fear of getting crushed to Death or just look at how worn out the curb is & the sidewalk is!
That being said we need to incorporate a much better Design for Trucks turning right @ this NEC when they Impliment the New LRT Expansion through there or somebody could be seriously injured ( hope this never happens ).

One way to fix this would be to have the S/B left turning lane set Back further.
I noticed that most of the trucks heading S/B in this lane were already doing so.
But any cars would pull up to the Stop Left Hand Turn Bar Blocking the Trucks Turning Radius!
And this is the correct thing to do but badly designed lane.

Hence the problem keeps re-accruing when ever a car pulls up in that S/B Lane
OR just widen the N/B Lane on Signet Dr.

PS
Not a truck advocate! Just wanna make sure everybody makes it home safe.

I found out that MTO is planning on replacing the bridge at Finch and 400 (well, they are looking at one of those Ottawa Rapid Bridge Replacements (RBR) ). The argument seems to be that rehabbing the bridge is too difficult because of 400 traffic, so lets replace the entire superstructure. Those heavy lift units (SPMTs) are very expensive. It would almost be the same cost to replace the entire bridge (and make the span 4 or 5 m longer than the current 19m). But the direction that MTO got is that Toronto does not need a wider Finch.
I am also surprised at who has done a traffic study and found that 1 lane in each direction can be taken away without causing traffic headaches. I am also surprised that MTO is not thinking of adding an HOV lane in this area, because if they were, then a staged replacement would be even more feasible.

I found out that MTO is planning on replacing the bridge at Finch and 400 (well, they are looking at one of those Ottawa Rapid Bridge Replacements (RBR) ). The argument seems to be that rehabbing the bridge is too difficult because of 400 traffic, so lets replace the entire superstructure. Those heavy lift units (SPMTs) are very expensive. It would almost be the same cost to replace the entire bridge (and make the span 4 or 5 m longer than the current 19m). But the direction that MTO got is that Toronto does not need a wider Finch.
I am also surprised at who has done a traffic study and found that 1 lane in each direction can be taken away without causing traffic headaches. I am also surprised that MTO is not thinking of adding an HOV lane in this area, because if they were, then a staged replacement would be even more feasible.
They will be digging out portals on the 400 bridge.
North & South sides of Finch for walkways 2 x 3 m holes

Yah?

This City of Toronto link only shows it at the Rail-line to the west**.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-90775.pdf

If true, it seems like a classic case of MTO spending their money and Metrolinx spending their money, instead of finding the overall project with the lowest cost.

** - and at one of the 400 ramps for EB to SB. but not under the 400 and not on the north side.

Last edited:
Yah?

This City of Toronto link only shows it at the Rail-line to the west**.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-90775.pdf

If true, it seems like a classic case of MTO spending their money and Metrolinx spending their money, instead of finding the overall project with the lowest cost.!

** - and at one of the 400 ramps for EB to SB. but not under the 400 and not on the north side.
Yes I stand corrected only the south side ! At least there trying to impliment some sort of compromise!
From Weston rd to Oakdale 2.5 x 3.5m tunnels under CP rail & 400 ramp

Back