News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

But gas plants!
That ensures that there will be no interference. The scandal lives on. I’d think twice before I cancelled something given the blowback from the gas plants. I think the entire electorate is on the lookout for this.

But I ask again - what conceivable gain could there be from this? Now that the Spadina extension is open, what is to be gained by denying transit starved residents a better connection to anywhere? If you lived on Finch last week at Islington, you were (heaven knows) 40 minutes from Finch Station on a Finch bus. Today you are 25 from Finch West. With FWLRT you are, say 15 from Finch West. How is denying someone that chance to get somewhere faster going to improve any party's electoral prospects.

If I got the times wrong above, pardon me. The point was that transit needs to be rapid and reliable for people to use it and have better quality of life and new rapid transit should connect us to where we want to go more quickly than the alternatives. Rapid and reliable (also or moreso) to convince them to hop out of their cars and take it. (But that may be another thread.)

Last edited:
That ensures that there will be no interference. The scandal lives on. I’d think twice before I cancelled something given the blowback from the gas plants. I think the entire electorate is on the lookout for this.

But I ask again - what conceivable gain could there be from this? Now that the Spadina extension is open, what is to be gained by denying transit starved residents a better connection to anywhere? If you lived on Finch last week at Islington, you were (heaven knows) 40 minutes from Finch Station on a Finch bus. Today you are 25 from Finch West. With FWLRT you are, say 15 from Finch West. How is denying someone that chance to get somewhere faster going to improve any party's electoral prospects.

If I got the times wrong above, pardon me. The point was that transit needs to be rapid and reliable for people to use it and have better quality of life and new rapid transit should connect us to where we want to go more quickly than the alternatives. Rapid and reliable (also or moreso) to convince them to hop out of their cars and take it. (But that may be another thread.)
People were upset when Harris extended the lease on 407 from 25 years to 99 years. They were not nearly as upset when over 50% of Hydro was sold. Cancelled helicopters cost hundreds of millions while the cancelled Eglinton subway cost tens of millions. The fact is that you can never tell how people react - its not the act that matters, it's how its reported in the press and what peoples mood happens to be.

For Finch, the obvious answer would be that a politician promises to replace the current on-street LRT with a subway. People on Finch West would likely support this. When studied, it would likely show that underground is too expensive and nobody would consider elevated since it may actually solve the deadlock. Finally, City Council could be blamed when the plans get delayed and eventually cancelled.

People were upset when Harris extended the lease on 407 from 25 years to 99 years. They were not nearly as upset when over 50% of Hydro was sold. Cancelled helicopters cost hundreds of millions while the cancelled Eglinton subway cost tens of millions. The fact is that you can never tell how people react - its not the act that matters, it's how its reported in the press and what peoples mood happens to be.

For Finch, the obvious answer would be that a politician promises to replace the current on-street LRT with a subway. People on Finch West would likely support this. When studied, it would likely show that underground is too expensive and nobody would consider elevated since it may actually solve the deadlock. Finally, City Council could be blamed when the plans get delayed and eventually cancelled.
Please dont scare me like that.

As in, nobody cared about having a subway on Finch, or nobody cared that Ford proposed this ridiculous idea?

Both. Nobody cared about Ford’s proposal, nor can I recall any widespread and enthusiastic support for a Finch West Subway either

We seem to see the same situation on Crosstown West too.

Nobody believes a subway on Finch is even remotely possible.

Thus, there is no opposition (on a scale worth mentioning) to light rail. Mammoliti can want whatever he wants to want; his efforts just get no traction.

Nobody believes a subway on Finch is even remotely possible.

Thus, there is no opposition (on a scale worth mentioning) to light rail. Mammoliti can want whatever he wants to want; his efforts just get no traction.
More importantly, no provincial party wants or thinks a subway on Finch is a good idea.

I would assume here, from HERE:
View attachment 130539

This picture of Finch/West subway station with the red circle makes sense. There is a service room in the way if the LRT tunnel went south (as previously speculated by me based on my open house visit).

Therefore, in my opinion the tunnel would angle south/east around that service room but connecting to the future LRT platform. All makes sense. It's fun to speculate and dream...

And I want a pony.

How does this guy keep getting elected?

Maybe because not everyone thinks and votes the same way as you? Don't get me wrong, I find some what he says ridiculous, and indeed subways are not appropriate for most routes, but your statement isn't helping matters either. It's not conducive to doing better for our city.

Maybe because not everyone thinks and votes the same way as you? Don't get me wrong, I find some what he says ridiculous, and indeed subways are not appropriate for most routes, but your statement isn't helping matters either. It's not conducive to doing better for our city.

Actually, my statement perfectly reflects the confusion many people have in this city for why Mammoliti keeps getting elected. I actually feel sorry for constituents in his ward; they are continuously duped by this guy.

He is nothing but a professional troll. All he seeks is attention by holding over-the-top stances on issue after issue. He inflames tensions between people with different views, rather than attempting to bridge the gaps between left and right-leaning people. He isn't a city-builder, he is a divider.

His refusal to recognize the reality that a subway on Finch West isn't justified at all by ridership or density, and that practically everyone else including the province that is bankrolling this project is progressing towards building LRT, just shows his nature as a troll.

The good thing is, he has no power to stop this (literal) train.

Back