News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 881     0 

Festive Lighting Thread

emphurent

Member Bio
Reaction score
Happy holidays, or Christmas Eve for some! I wasn't really able to find a general thread to appreciate some great light displays (preferably ones open to the public without fees), so I thought I'd start one for anyone to post ones they like.

Many buildings in Elora this year are dressed up!

1000003995.jpg

The lighting following the arches on this building look especially lovely.

1000004004.jpg

The Guelph rink is very colorful as usual! The use of a tree that is planted already is an interesting way to save cutting other large trees, though it has a lot more growing to do!

1000004079.jpg
1000001134.jpg

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I was going to ask if there are any really cute towns in southern Ontario that kind of resemble those quaint little Victorian Christmas village displays that you can buy at Rona for example...I'd really love to immerse myself in a real life one that looks just like those...

I haven't been there in quite a while but 'old town' Unionville used to look like that. I imagine it's easier when the town or building is naturally picturesque. Downtowns like Gananoque or Brockville come to mind because of the old limestone buildings, although I have never seen them at Christmas.

Some neighbourhood front lawns can be entertaining.
View attachment 531051
I'm not a fan of inflatables. Unless the homeowner leaves the fans on all the time, the display ends up as flat piles on the ground part of the time. I'm a fair bit of a traditionalist (although not a creche for me) I'm also not a fan of some of the display elements on offer. Down the road has a chicken - I think it is wearing a scarf, and I saw a set at Canadian Tire of Santa and an elf - lifting weights. Maybe it's just me.

Back