News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Favourite Cities?

i will start a thread and post my vacation photos

oh no spare us the vacation photos, LOL. Just kidding post away. i liked San Fran as well but not as much in terms of my experience compared to the other N.A cities. Maybe it will improve if I visit San Francisco more often.

^ lol , its not your typical vacation photos with people standing behind city scape .... i mostly took Architectural photos

I have to say San Francisco has to be near the top of my list for North America - very liveable (probably right after San Diego - two real opposites). London does have good theatre - but I could visit and go to theatre - not as important in a city that I live - nice to have - but really important.

San Francisco is just so easy to live in (if you can afford it). Basically any city that has a vibrant downtown is good in my books.

San Francisco had an appalling homeless problem. When I was in the financial district, it got so bad, the homeless outnumbered everyone else. Kinda scary really. Every corner I turned there would be someone going through garbage.

I also felt San Francisco felt a little too touristy.

The thread title used "cities" - I'd prefer "places". I'll pretend you'll accept "places".

I really liked:

Paris, France
Sorrento, Italy
Isle of Wight, UK
Rome, Italy

Honourable mentions to London (UK), Berlin, Singapore (before it got too built-up), Colombo (before their civil war) and perhaps Naples, Italy (hehe)

^ What about Isle of Wight did you like? I've always been interested in visiting the somewhat obscure places in the UK so I'd really be interested in hearing about what was there that really interested you.

^ What about Isle of Wight did you like? I've always been interested in visiting the somewhat obscure places in the UK so I'd really be interested in hearing about what was there that really interested you.

I felt like I was in "The Shire" (from lord of the rings). The scenery was very pleasant, much like i imagined the english countryside to look like when I was a kid. However the real english countryside hasn't looked like that in ages, due to development all over the place. Driving through it was really fun. The various towns/villages are so much fun to visit. I loved the "cream tea". The weather is always a few notches better than mainland UK. The heritage there has been nicely preserved. Obviously as a lot of tourists go there you're going to find the tacky family-targeted theme parks and gift shops, but there's also the historical attractions. The geology there is supposed to be interesting too...

I have yet to see all the obscure places in the UK that I want to (always end up spending too much time in London) but there's a city not too far from London which always makes for a nice day trip - St. Albans. Nice cathedral, nice pubs, and even some nice Roman ruins.

Cities that have been mentioned:
NYC
Hong Kong
Barcelona (so awesome - love all the Gaudi architecture)
Portland (so chill - and yes dirt cheap delicious beer)

Other cities:
Santa Monica (my most favourite part of LA)
Berlin (tons of modern history, real eye-opener)
Istanbul (cultural epicentre, so awesome)
Sydney (just beautiful)
Boston (great history, great seafood, great times)
Brighton, England (way better than London)

Honourable mentions:
Calgary (stunning geography)
Denver (Calgary without the crazy oil barons!)
Seattle (beautiful and fun)
Montreal (always a good time)

I disagree about (not vehemently but these cities wouldn't be on my favourites list):
-London - found it dirty, but I was there with French people so they may have negatively influenced me lol
-San Francisco - beautiful but filled with homeless people - most scared I've been in any city in the world and I was there 1 month after touring Syria...I did like it a lot but not enough to be on my favourites list
-Paris - other parts of France are better. I found the architecture all looked the same after a while. I like more diversity (hence my love of Barcelona! lol)

Ahh I feel like there are so many more I'm missing out on! The more you travel the more cities you fall in love with!

Wellington, New Zealand. Small and compact, though lots to do. Tons of nightlife. Very walkable city built on a harbour with hills surrounding it affording many great views of the City below.

I also really enjoyed my time in Oslo. I wouldn't put it as a "great" city, but I found it to be a very decent city with lots to do and see and easy to get around. There are a lot of parks that were heavily used when I was there that I felt like sitting down and watch the people go about their way.

Others worth mentioning: London, NY, Boston, Chicago, Stockholm, Santiagp, Chile, Madison, Wisconsin and Vancouver.

Sydney and Hong Kong tops the list.
Tokyo and Moscow come in close.
As for North America, some of you might laugh, but it has to be Seattle and Toronto for me.

Not to change things, but has anyone lived in any non-Toronto cities that they would recommend? I'd be interested to hear how these cities work for liveability. The only city (other than toronto) I've spent any amount of time in was Amsterdam, where I lived for about four months in 2006. It was an absolutely amazing city to live in for four months, but I don't think I could live there forever. It was just too small. As a city to visit, though, or to stay for a while, it's absolutely amazing. If I had to pick my favourite tourist city I'd probably choose Barcelona. Honourable mentions for tourist city would go to Prague, New York City, and Lisbon. Cities that I think would be great to live in (based solely on my trips there) would be San Francisco (if you can afford it), London (again, if you can afford it), and Berlin.

1. Amsterdam - Absolutely incredible city not just because if its night life and entertainment value. It is also very scenic and absolutely incredibly walkable, bikeable and transit usable.
2. Edinburgh - I didn't know what to expect when went to Edinburgh nor how to correctly pronounce the city's name, but it is so historic.
3. London - As has been mentioned throughout this thread, you just feel as if you are in the centre of the universe when in London. There is so much to see and do.
4. Paris - Simliar to London in many respects. The view from the steps du sacre coeur at night is absolutely incredible.
5. NY City - Although I prefer big city London to big city N.Y., it has to make the list.
Honourable Mention: Venice - Very, very very scenic, but it seemed old and somewhat 'gimicky' to me the longer I stayed there.

Back