News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

I tried that link, came up blank screen. FYI.

Go to the main page first and search for "Miss Toronto 1946":

http://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com...6000_11222_11222&MenuName=Image+search+screen

Remember also that this was the old Grandstand:

grandstand.jpg

Last edited:
Miss Toronto, 20 years later, July 20, 1946. The war is over, the boys are home.....:

beauty1946c.jpg

I'm inclined to believe this was NOT the CNE - Did the CNE ever have upper-level seating as in the above photo?

This UT page from the past <http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/11366-The-Glory-Days-of-Miss-Toronto> may clear up the matter - it clearly shows the upper deck at Woodbine.

Unfortunately the archives has mislabeled that whole series from 1946.

Last edited:
Need a shot looking west along Queen St. just west of Woodbine Ave. I just seem to remember Greenwood looking just like that. The end screening was green and the back windows in groups of six. I will say that the first shot on the concrete stepps looks more like the CNE. Still wondering what would have been in the background along the lakeshore at the CNE grounds in 1946 as well.

Just saw the 1926 photo of the CNE, unless they rebuilt the CNE grandstand between then and 46 it is definitely not the same one.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to believe this was NOT the CNE - Did the CNE ever have upper-level seating as in the above photo?

From Wikipedia:

The CNE has been host to four grandstands since its inception. The third grandstand, designed by G.W. Gouinlock, was built in 1907 and had a capacity of 16,000. It burned down in 1946, subsequently leading to the construction of the fourth, Exhibition Stadium built in 1948. Designed by architects Marani and Morris, this building was the first of what would prove to be several Modernist buildings built on the CNE grounds, its distinctive and bold cantilevered truss roof dominating the grounds for over 50 years. It initially housed 22,000 people, but was expanded over the years to a maximum of 54,000 in order to accommodate the additional seating required for major professional sports teams who made the Grandstand their home. It became the home base for the Toronto Argonauts football team, and later, to the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhibition_Place

From Wikipedia:

The CNE has been host to four grandstands since its inception. The third grandstand, designed by G.W. Gouinlock, was built in 1907 and had a capacity of 16,000. It burned down in 1946, subsequently leading to the construction of the fourth, Exhibition Stadium built in 1948. Designed by architects Marani and Morris, this building was the first of what would prove to be several Modernist buildings built on the CNE grounds, its distinctive and bold cantilevered truss roof dominating the grounds for over 50 years. It initially housed 22,000 people, but was expanded over the years to a maximum of 54,000 in order to accommodate the additional seating required for major professional sports teams who made the Grandstand their home. It became the home base for the Toronto Argonauts football team, and later, to the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhibition_Place

Found three pics labled "Miss Toronto beauty contest 1948 woodbine racetrack " The archive is contradictory.
f1257_s1057_it1613.jpg

f1257_s1057_it1611.jpg

Oh, there is tons of the 1948 pics in the archives!

Just search Woodbine racetrack and go to the page that has results 41 to 50 and start there.

Last edited:
The Toronto archive photos never stop amazing me. Just loven them.
This is a particular favourite, maybe it's just how I remember it.
f0124_fl0003_id0198.jpg

Speaking of Grandstands (and the Ex starts this Friday), I think that one of the biggest architectural losses was of the 1948 Grandstand designed by Marani and Morris:

grandstand2.jpg
grandstand4.jpg

grandstand3.jpg
grandstand5.jpg

grandstand7.jpg
grandstand6.jpg

grandstand8.jpg

grandstand9.jpg

grandstand10.jpg

The Queen 1959:

grandstand111959.jpg

Harry Jerome:

harryjerome.jpg

Last edited:
Charioteer: What year was the Shell Oil Tower torn down?

It had to be before my first Toronto visit in the Summer of 1979...I went to the CNE in 1979-80-81...

Does the postcard above date from the later 60s judging by the TD Centre in the background?

This goes to show that I learn something about Toronto practically every time I look in the UT City Photos and Videos section...

LI MIKE

It was torn down in 1985 according to the link I posted. The last postcard must be late '60s judging by the skyline and the "Bonnie and Clyde" ride on the midway.

It'd be the very end of the 60s or beginning of the 70s, judging from Royal Trust and Simpson (with illuminated crown!) in the background, as well as Chris Yaneff's Conklin logos up front. (CDR lists Conko's date as 1980; but he was already being used a decade or so earlier.

Yes, that, and the Shell Oil / Bulova Tower, were the worst Modernist losses as far as I'm concerned.

Though there really hasn't been that much lost Modernism on the Ex grounds, because there wasn't that much noteworthy permanent-ish Modernism in the first place other than those two and whatever still exists. (The prime also-ran losses being Eric Arthur's proto-OCAD Coliseum facade and Parkin's sorely underrated Sheep & Swine building, both sacrificed in the 90s for the National Trade/Direct Energy Centre. I suppose one could also toss in the Food Building "Trylon" for good measure--and *maybe* the more permanentish Midway stuff, Bingo et al, even if that was more Moderne than Modernist)

As we have taken note of Conklin, may I add a few things?

Paddy died during '69 or '70, and is buried in the cemetery at Albion Road & 27 Highway,

with his son Jimmy? succeeding him in the business. There was also an older manager in

the company whom had great power although not of immediate family. Paddy's CNE office

was in the lane between The Colliseum & The Horse Palace in the latter's S/E corner. All

cash was delivered to this office which was guarded by a uniformed Police Constable outside.

(There was no doubt at least one inside as well.) At least once per day sometimes more often,

his Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan's trunk would be "loaded up", with the back end almost dragging

on the pavement, over to the CIBC Exhibition Branch for a "Deposit"; armed guard of course.

The company also used to have at the least one private railroad car installed on the CNE siding

north of The Horse Palace on a constant basis.

Regards,
J T

Back