News   Apr 26, 2024
 94     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 516     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

South-east corner of Bloor and Huntley St. in 1969. How much longer after this did these two buildings hang on before Greenwin Square overran this block?

SE CORNER BLOOR & HUNTLEY 1969 04 00 UNKNOWN.jpg

Attachments

• SE CORNER BLOOR & HUNTLEY 1969 04 00 UNKNOWN.jpg
    SE CORNER BLOOR & HUNTLEY 1969 04 00 UNKNOWN.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 1,124
Looks like it probably wasn't *too* long; indeed, the house on the left looks borderline abandoned/prepped-for-demolition--presumably the land assemblage was already underway. (Though said house has an intriguing "modern" portico...)

Instead, it's the Confederation Life cafeteria building (aping the Saarinen's Kleinhans Hall in Buffalo)--later the home of, well, 100 Huntley Street...

Attachments

• IMG_20161008_130403.jpg
    IMG_20161008_130403.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 955
Hey guys! While over for Thanksgiving my grandmother-in-law (is that a thing?) showed us this picture, which is apparently where her brother lived in Toronto before moving to the States. She thinks it is from the 50's, but I figured here would be the perfect place to post it, because I just know one of you could probably identify the year/location of it...

qlyXVRB.jpg

(sorry for the image quality, it was a glossy photo my MIL quickly scanned and emailed)

hey, is that a badminton racquet with a birdie ???
they look more like tennis racquets but that triangle sure looks like a birdie....

The Royal York Hotel (in 1949) shows the result of many years of dust, dirt, smog and air pollution.
I don't recall when the cleaning was accomplished but, by comparison, it's beautiful today.
Also note Toronto's famous Cyclorama at the photo's left corner.

Royal York Hotel aerial 1949.jpg

Attachments

• Royal York Hotel aerial 1949.jpg
    Royal York Hotel aerial 1949.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 755
I wasn't aware the York-University Jog wasn't eliminated at that point. I always thought that had been built when university was first extended south of Queen in the 20's.

Thanks for the comment, insertnamehere.
You've confirmed that this Web-site is, without question, highly educational.
I too, have learned much about Toronto (my birthplace).

I wasn't aware the York-University Jog wasn't eliminated at that point. I always thought that had been built when university was first extended south of Queen in the 20's.

Though also note that the University extension was originally a meagre two lanes--depression economy surely played its part there. (I think it might only have been when the University *subway* was built that it took on its present form--with underground garage provision as an add-on. Funny how few references there are to *that* downtown-automobile-infrastructure cornerstone.)

Another thing in the photo I find intriguing is the off-kilter crosswalk markings at York + Front, probably because of Union Station being set well back from the street relative to Walker House.

Back