News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

(the ability to drop pronouns in Spanish, for example).

Something I faintly envy Spanish. Of course, the flip side of that is, they can do that because their verbs still broadly inflect according to subject, and ours largely don't anymore. We still have to use the extra word, but we're spared having to make the verbs agree much beyond third person singular, present tense ("to be" notwithstanding). But yeah, the range in Romance languages is vast. French and Spanish have gotten rid of most of the old inflection, Italian has preserved a fair amount, but I gather Romanian has been very conservative in this respect, which probably makes some sense given how inflection-intensive the neighbouring Slavic languages tend to be.

...Are we off-topic at all here? :)

Yes. The odd thing is that they still can't figure out that you DO need that space when they write in English ...

I think it's commonly held because it's a distinction without a difference. One of the definitions promulgated by the NED (a.k.a. OED) is "To generate, develop, or modify by natural processes or gradual alteration", which is a very good description of the process of language development. Certainly it's what I mean when I say "it's just how the language evolved culturally": that is to say, a natural, gradual process of modification and development.

The change I meant was change as a concious alteration. There is nothing concious about evolution. It is natural and out of our control. Language doesn't evolve on its own, we change it, is what I meant. We usually change it to make it easier or by accident (misunderstanding of a word's meaning, spelling, origins, etc). I usually have this debate with people who rite like dis as txt spk is the nu spk and defend themselves by saying that language evolves and there's nothing we can do. Yes, there is: You can write like this. Lol. (See what I did there with the Lol?) ;)

The change I meant was change as a concious alteration. There is nothing concious about evolution.

I don't see the question of intentionality as being germane to the idea of something changing over time. Guided or unguided, it makes no difference. In biological terms, evolution happens without any regard to whether the agency is conscious (artificial selection) or unconscious (natural selection). For that matter, much of language change is unguided: while things like new coinages or turns of phrase may be consciously conjured, things like the Great Vowel Shift or the erosion of inflexion in Middle English were not conscious, controlled decisions on the part of any one person, group, or committee.

For me, the bottom line is that people understand what is meant by saying that language evolves; it presents no hurdles to comprehension. There's nothing about the term "evolve" that either limits it to a biological context, or disqualifies conscious choice from being part of the process.

language evolves and there's nothing we can do. Yes, there is: You can write like this. Lol. (See what I did there with the Lol?) ;)

By the same logic, you could be writing to us using the runes and the Anglo-Saxon vocabulary and insisting that therefore language doesn't evolve. I don't think that holds water.

Last edited:
Back to images

At this point I think this thread has set a new record for Furthest Deviation Off Topic.

Right on!

Here's an intervention (357 Broadview - attached) to get back on topic:

Attachments

• 357 Broadview Ave. 1918.jpg
    357 Broadview Ave. 1918.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 265
There once was a time when citizens didn't have to rely on government for skating facilities.

skatingontheDon1910.jpg

I would love to hit the Don for skating. I don't remember it ever being frozen though.

"skating facilities are a lot more reliable thanks to the government."
QUOTE junctionist.

Thanks to the Ratepayers!

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Images like we see here are popular

Scarborough Town Centre, I believe.

At the antique market held each Sunday at the St. Lawrence Market (north side of Front St.) there is one vendor who sells B&W prints of old Toronto. He does a brisk business. Some of the pictures are interesting, seeing what no longer exists or seeing a sapling in a shot that's a massive tree now.

Winter Sports

I don't expect there will be any curling on the Don River this winter - see attached.

Has anyone seen a 'photograph' of more recent curling on the Don?

Attachments

• CURLING ON THE DON RIVER, 1836 (PRESUMED TO BE BY JH).jpg
    CURLING ON THE DON RIVER, 1836 (PRESUMED TO BE BY JH).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 266

Back