Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Hi dreamtowerbliss,

I'll be on the 11th floor, and I made the purchase during the summer of 2013. I actually just got the cost summary from my lawyer.

On it, I notice a "pro-rata-occupancy amount". Not sure exactly what that is, but a quick google search tells me it's the fee I'm paying for the "privilege" of early occupancy (at least it is if my understanding of the legalese is correct). If that is indeed what it is, then it bugs the hell out of me that I have to pay a fee for something that I didn't even have a choice to opt out of.

For those interested, the portion of the occupancy payments that's based on the remaining balance of your purchase, that portion is based on a 3.14% of the remaining balance. The property tax portion is based on 1.25% of the sale price.

Anyone else getting ding on this? I think i'm in the same situation. I'm looking at the %5 closing amount, it is more than the amount in the agreement. I asked my lawyer and she said that included occupancy fee. I'm waiting for clarification from my lawyer. If it is the pro rated occupancy amount then that is not right. When I bought tower 2, tentative occupancy was June 2014. August is not early occupancy. Anyone know how to get out of this? Would love to hear any success/non success stories.

And welcome nieghbours!!!

The occupancy fee is applied when you take occupancy before the building registers. It happens to most buyers in most pre-con condos. It is unusual for the building to be registered before you take occupancy.

Anyone else getting ding on this? I think i'm in the same situation. I'm looking at the %5 closing amount, it is more than the amount in the agreement. I asked my lawyer and she said that included occupancy fee. I'm waiting for clarification from my lawyer. If it is the pro rated occupancy amount then that is not right. When I bought tower 2, tentative occupancy was June 2014. August is not early occupancy. Anyone know how to get out of this? Would love to hear any success/non success stories.

And welcome nieghbours!!!

I talked to my lawyer, and I was given a better explanation of what "pro rata occupancy amount" is. Basically, our occupancy fees are cheques paid for each month, with my first one covering the month of September starting on September 1st. However, because my occupancy date is Aug 25th, there is a week of August that I technically need to pay occupancy fee for. That's what the pro-rata occupancy fee is. It's a pro-rated version of the occupancy fee covering a shorter period of time.

Anyways, if your closing amount is higher than the agreed upon value, it's probably because they simply combined the pro-rata occupancy together with the closing amount perhaps?

I am the resident of phase two,my living room floor is not lying flat and big crack bettwen

living room and bed room's floor, The occupancy time is end of this month. what should I do? Will the builder refloor the living room ?

20140817_121346.jpg
20140817_122010.jpg
1234.JPG

Attachments

• 20140817_121346.jpg
    20140817_121346.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 782
  • 20140817_122010.jpg
    20140817_122010.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 785
  • 1234.JPG
    1234.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 808
I am the resident of phase two,my living room floor is not lying flat and big crack bettwen

living room and bed room's floor, The occupancy time is end of this month. what should I do? Will the builder refloor the living room ?

View attachment 31545View attachment 31546View attachment 31547

It appears from the picture that the flooring was laid above the carpet. This is not the correct way to lay the flooring. Is should be easy to fix. They will likely have to trim the carpet, or the flooring, and add a transition. It would be easier to trim the carpet. In the other photo under what looks like patio door, it appears as though the flooring is butted up against the moulding. Flooring should be laid first and then moulding. Not sure what happened at the island because the picture looks a bit small.

There is too much space between island and floor. If u were standing in the middle of living room. u will see one side island is

higher than anther side. On the right side is ok, left side looks like they put piece of wood at bottom.

If you have been in the unit less than 30 days, be sure to report it on the form. If you have been there longer, start talking to your customer care office so it is documented. You can try opening a case with Tarion, but you might have to wait for the one year form if customer care doesn't fix it to your satisfaction

Parking

Can someone please tell me how many parking levels there are for residents ? Is parking level A the only level shared by all three buildings or are there other levels other than A ?

It appears from the picture that the flooring was laid above the carpet. This is not the correct way to lay the flooring. Is should be easy to fix. They will likely have to trim the carpet, or the flooring, and add a transition. It would be easier to trim the carpet. In the other photo under what looks like patio door, it appears as though the flooring is butted up against the moulding. Flooring should be laid first and then moulding. Not sure what happened at the island because the picture looks a bit small.

Hello hrbdld, I am from phase 1 and my issues are very similar to you.

My kitchen island is exactly like yours, with a huge gap that I can stick my finger in and it wobbles when I lean on it. The flooring of my entire unit floats so much especially on the moulding side. Your living room however, is completely new to me. I have never seen anyone installing the flooring like that.

Definitely talk to customer service (i.e. Natalie), chase them after until they give you a firm date to have someone coming over to fix it.

That's how I got my flooring fixed. Customer service even redid the entire flooring of my unit twice. Now the kitchen island is rock solid without any gap and the flooring no longer sags.

Although the I am satisfied with the outcome, but it took me almost a month to have the flooring fixed in my unit. I also took a few days off when the workers come over so that I can show them what needs to be fixed (floor and other defects) as well as monitoring them to fix it properly.

I just did my inspection today for Phase 2 and I was pretty happy with mine. The floor didnt have any major problems. Only a few issues on the edges of the individual flooring that looks like it was a defective piece. Some small cracks on the floor that was hardly noticeable but still got it put on the PDI form. The island had the same issue where they put a piece of wood on 1 side to keep it leveled but I was told it will be fixed as many units have the same issue.

I am the resident of phase two,my living room floor is not lying flat and big crack bettwen...

Seeing these photos and many of the others has left me stunned. I don't know how any tradesperson could walk away and just leave things like that. If the builders consider this quality to be acceptable, I would also worry about the things you cannot see.

I feel sorry for anyone who is going through grief due to such blatant disregard and incompetence. It has also resolved me to never buy a pre-build condo, and especially never buy anything associated with the group that built this project. Best of luck to everyone who has to fight for what should have been delivered in the first place, I hope your issues get resolved.

Back