Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Wow Ancea,

That's so gross. I experienced that a while back too, but it wasn't THAT yellow. I wish I had checked this forum earlier. Who knows if we have been drinking that...... Don't you agree that property management should be emailing us regarding issues like this rather than posting memos on the elevators? Sometimes people miss important memos.... Perhaps we can start an email group ourselves....

Thanks to our neighbour Ancea for posting the photos :) I used a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter to test the filtered water and it was contaminated :( I had to replaced the water filter last week.

Wow Ancea,

That's so gross. I experienced that a while back too, but it wasn't THAT yellow. I wish I had checked this forum earlier. Who knows if we have been drinking that...... Don't you agree that property management should be emailing us regarding issues like this rather than posting memos on the elevators? Sometimes people miss important memos.... Perhaps we can start an email group ourselves....

Hi Grasshopper,

Where do I start?

The picture is the interior of the cabinet next to the kitchen sink. This is where all water is moved between the main plumbing and sink/dishwasher. The gray pipe for moving dirty water is installed properly under the shelf. The hot water (red) and cold water (blue) lines are installed above the shelf. With these two lines in the way, the shelf is not usable. This reduces storage in an already small kitchen.

I suspect there were at least two skilled trades involved. Plumbing and cabinet are usually done by different people. This is not the result of a single sloppy individual.

1) The main plumbing gets installed with positions for the red, blue and gray pipes.
2) The main cabinets get installed and holes drilled to accommodate 3 pipes.
3) Sink gets installed with water lines connected.
4) The cabinet shelves, doors are installed last. Judging from the picture, there was some painting done too.
5) The construction supervisor oversees the different contractors coming in and out of the unit.

Do you have a different interpretation of what, how and why this happened? Am I the only one affected in the building?

May I ask what's wrong?

Hi Grasshopper,

Where do I start?

The picture is the interior of the cabinet next to the kitchen sink. This is where all water is moved between the main plumbing and sink/dishwasher. The gray pipe for moving dirty water is installed properly under the shelf. The hot water (red) and cold water (blue) lines are installed above the shelf. With these two lines in the way, the shelf is not usable. This reduces storage in an already small kitchen.

I suspect there were at least two skilled trades involved. Plumbing and cabinet are usually done by different people. This is not the result of a single sloppy individual.

1) The main plumbing gets installed with positions for the red, blue and gray pipes.
4) The cabinet shelves, doors are installed last. Judging from the picture, there was some painting done too.
5) The construction supervisor oversees the different contractors coming in and out of the unit.

Do you have a different interpretation of what, how and why this happened? Am I the only one affected in the building?

I have this pipes as well. My gray pipe is installed on the top shelf with the hot and cold pipes. Are these building code violation? Can we dispute this?

Please do not forget to attend the Turnover meeting that starts in 30 minutes.

Thank you renter70fm. You are not the only one. I have the same thing. That was the reason why I asked what's wrong. Well, I didn't put it in the 30-day form.

Hi Grasshopper,

Where do I start?

Hi newbuyer,

Building code usually deals with safety issues. Unless your contract specified usable shelving space and volume, you don't have much to go on. The only easy fix now is to drill new holes and move the shelf above all the pipes. The proper installation of the pipes would have run the water lines under the cabinet and up against the back wall. A few people must have said "not my job" or "I don't care" for the cabinet to end up like mine.

How was the Turnover meeting? Since you started this thread in the beginning, has your unit and building met your expectation so far?

I have this pipes as well. My gray pipe is installed on the top shelf with the hot and cold pipes. Are these building code violation? Can we dispute this?

Please do not forget to attend the Turnover meeting that starts in 30 minutes.

Hi renter70fm,

The turnover meeting was good. Lots of owner showed up. Two of my choices got elected as the board.
My unit is okay. I am not wowed by the quality of work and the actual size of the unit. Common areas also not as great as I imagined. The gym needs more equipment, the Gymboree and movie room are joke. Lobby is way too big IMO and lots of wasted spaces.
Will I buy from this builder El-Ad again? I will not. For me now when I see El-Ad name, it means thrifty and cheap. I should have known this just by from the background of the builder.

Wow Ancea,

Hi AngieLala,

so sorry- I only saw this now. Usually I get emailed when someone posts here, but I guess something didn't go through.

I definitely (DEFINITELY!!!) agree that property management should email or post notices to inform us about such things, and any other issues that happen in this building. If people choose to ignore memos, that's their choice (they could easily ignore emails, too), but some sort of incentive from PM would be great. Especially since, like you said, who knows if we have been drinking that? It's not just gross, but unsanitary and potentially dangerous.

I'm home most of the day (I work night shifts more often), so I notice all the stuff that many people don't because they're at work. I'm happy to start an email chain. I didn't have the emails of others, so I hoped that by posting here it would at least help some people.

*If anyone is interested in starting an email chain, please send me your email and once we collect a few, we can email each other to warn of any potential problems*

Thanks to our neighbour Ancea for posting the photos :) I used a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter to test the filtered water and it was contaminated :( I had to replaced the water filter last week.

No problem, hopefully it gave people a heads up!

Ugh... that's no good. Hopefully no one drank it and felt sick. There really should be an incentive for PM to communicate such stuff to people.

Hi AngieLala,

so sorry- I only saw this now. Usually I get emailed when someone posts here, but I guess something didn't go through.

I definitely (DEFINITELY!!!) agree that property management should email or post notices to inform us about such things, and any other issues that happen in this building. If people choose to ignore memos, that's their choice (they could easily ignore emails, too), but some sort of incentive from PM would be great. Especially since, like you said, who knows if we have been drinking that? It's not just gross, but unsanitary and potentially dangerous.

I'm home most of the day (I work night shifts more often), so I notice all the stuff that many people don't because they're at work. I'm happy to start an email chain. I didn't have the emails of others, so I hoped that by posting here it would at least help some people.

*If anyone is interested in starting an email chain, please send me your email and once we collect a few, we can email each other to warn of any potential problems*

Is the email group for a specific tower or all 3? I would like to join for any notifications

Is the email group for a specific tower or all 3? I would like to join for any notifications

Hi Ayau,

I'm currently in Tower 1, but have family and friends moving into Tower 2 and Tower 3. As fas as I'm concered, we can keep the email chain for all three towers. Often the problems affect all three (such as power outages, and fire alarms since all three are connected for fire alarms, etc). I can specify in the email heading if the notice is for a specific tower or for all three, should you wish to join.

Thanks for offering to start the email group Ancea. I've sent you a private message.

By the way.... has anyone tried getting both the 6 months free Bell as well as Rogers? My six months is almost up with Rogers, so I have to cancel or change the package before the last month.... I'm wondering if I should try to get the deal with Bell as well.... Don't forget you have to let them know one month in advance of cancelling otherwise you're stuck with a very expensive plan... :)

Hi AngieLala,

Thanks for offering to start the email group Ancea. I've sent you a private message.

By the way.... has anyone tried getting both the 6 months free Bell as well as Rogers? My six months is almost up with Rogers, so I have to cancel or change the package before the last month.... I'm wondering if I should try to get the deal with Bell as well.... Don't forget you have to let them know one month in advance of cancelling otherwise you're stuck with a very expensive plan... :)

Hi Angie,

You should def call Bell to find out. We got Bell and were curious about Rogers after it expired. Rogers told us we could get 6 months free IF we signed a 2 year contract after that. Bell likely has something similar up their sleeve (or better... I heard some people say that the Bell 6 months free and no contract offer hasn't expired yet, but this was just chit chat between two other residents in the elevator).

Rogers actually called me and asked me to give them a call when my 6 months with bell is finished. They said they can give me 6 months for free.

Back