Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

I feel the same. I had reported quite a number of things to customer service but didn't get resolved. I had put them onto the 30-days form including "no pre-wiring for optional valance lighting". Will see.

Did you notice that your pre-wiring isn't there during your PDI, or after?

I didn't know until I saw the discussion on this forum. It was not on the PDI. But I did reported it after the PDI and also on the 30-day form.

Ah ok. I noticed during the PDI and posted here just in case others had the same problem and didn't know. Glad it got people to check!

Hi all,

In case you weren't aware the mail started this Monday. I went all the way to the location on Progress Road last Friday only to find out they had already shipped the mail. Oh well... don't need to make that trek again. I picked up my mail yesterday night. Hopefully Property Management let people know soon so people dont waste a trip to the Canada Post location.

Repair work has not been good so far

So I submitted my 30-month form a few weeks ago. One item that needed repair was my kitchen island - it's not level to the floor since there is an obvious gap. Workers came in last week to "repair" it but did more harm. They simply pushed the island down to close the gap. But now the island is DISCONNECTED from the wall, the island is SLANTED, and the drawers are CROOKED. I wish I was there when this was done but I the workers have the same work hours as me. I've sent my concerns and pictures to customer care and thankfully they responded promptly. It will be looked into but I'm very worried about what will happen next.

UPDATE:

So some workers finally came in and fixed the gaps and drawers. It looks presentable now but the island is still slightly slanted. I'll only notice this if I put a ball or something on it. I don't know if I really want to bother telling them about this because it's not a major issue. I'll probably replace the whole thing when I'm looking to resell.

Hi everyone

In looking at my hydro bill I'm currently paying about $40/month. Does this cost seem reasonable? My unit is about 550 square feet, there is only 1 person living with me, and we both go out during working hours every day during the week. I don't have much to compare my situation to so I'm wondering what you all think.

I live in 1500 sq ft and work from home and pay just over $100/month.

Depends what you've got running and what time of day -- if the fan on your HVAC runs steady, that adds up. I set mine to auto so it goes on and off.

Hi everyone

In looking at my hydro bill I'm currently paying about $40/month. Does this cost seem reasonable? My unit is about 550 square feet, there is only 1 person living with me, and we both go out during working hours every day during the week. I don't have much to compare my situation to so I'm wondering what you all think.

That's pretty good.

Is anyone experiencing a draft coming from their balcony sliding door? Last night since it was very windy, I noticed that my window had a gap which was letting air into my unit. I didn't put this on my 30-day Tarion form, but I emailed Natalie. Is this considered a "Common element"? My screen door doesn't lock properly either, so it was sliding back and forth all night.....

Also, has anyone noticed that the lobby's tiles are being replaced? Do costs like this go to the builder, or back to the tenants? It would seem unfair if this gets added to our maintenance fees.

Is anyone experiencing a draft coming from their balcony sliding door? Last night since it was very windy, I noticed that my window had a gap which was letting air into my unit. I didn't put this on my 30-day Tarion form, but I emailed Natalie. Is this considered a "Common element"? My screen door doesn't lock properly either, so it was sliding back and forth all night.....

Also, has anyone noticed that the lobby's tiles are being replaced? Do costs like this go to the builder, or back to the tenants? It would seem unfair if this gets added to our maintenance fees.

This is what I heard, but I still have to verify it.

Any problems that the building has (like the lobby, any flooding damage, the elevators(!!!!), etc) need to get reported before registration takes place. This way, the problem is the builders. If we don't report any problems to the common elements, we'll likely get slapped with the charges and our fees will go up. The problem is, I don't know WHO we report to... is it Tarion? or someone else?

Last edited:
Also, I debated posting this but figured that I should.

I spoke with a bunch of workers while waiting for the elevator to arrive (since only one was working, we all had a long 25 minute wait before stuffing ourselves into the nearly full elevator). They were also annoyed with the elevator, and I heard them talking about it. I asked them if they knew what the problem was, since this keeps happening despite management telling us that the problem was "fixed".

The workers told me that the elevators were very damanged due to the multiple floodings, and for it to be fully repaired, it would be extremely expensive. Management is only doing "band aid fixes" and "patch up work" to make it work for now, because it's cheaper for them to temporarily "fix" some little stuff a couple times than finance the full fix. The workers recommended that we report this problem before registration, because apparently "This is something management is known to do in order to defer the cost on the tenants". I was grateful that the workers were nice and told us this and that we need to report it, as it may prevent our fees from going up due to this problem in the future. Now it comes down to finding out who we report to.

Also, does anyone know if an inspector will come to re-inspect the common elements before registration?

Last edited:
Once the building is registered, the Board of Directors will hire an engineering firm to do a building audit. This firm will identify deficiencies in the common elements, the elevators and the building itself. Unit owners will be requested to complete a form identifying any common element deficiencies they have noted. The Board will work with the developer to address these deficiencies. After 18 months, any outstanding deficiencies will be identified and the Board will negotiate with the developer as to how to get them remedied.

A good board and property management company won't pass on the cost to owners; they will get the developer to fix things. It's important to elect a good board!

You do have to be patient; some things take a long time for the developer to fix, and the board won't authorize fixing them because then THAT cost will come out of maintenance fees and the developer will then be off the hook.

Once the building is registered, the Board of Directors will hire an engineering firm to do a building audit. This firm will identify deficiencies in the common elements, the elevators and the building itself. Unit owners will be requested to complete a form identifying any common element deficiencies they have noted. The Board will work with the developer to address these deficiencies. After 18 months, any outstanding deficiencies will be identified and the Board will negotiate with the developer as to how to get them remedied.

A good board and property management company won't pass on the cost to owners; they will get the developer to fix things. It's important to elect a good board!

You do have to be patient; some things take a long time for the developer to fix, and the board won't authorize fixing them because then THAT cost will come out of maintenance fees and the developer will then be off the hook.

Then let's keep our fingers crossed that we'll have a good board :)

I noticed that the day after PDI and because of that, it was not reported during the PDI.

When the wind is strong, it makes a huge noise, strong enough to wake people up at night. I have created a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjsMZRRdPyE) and sent the link to Natalie. She responded me through email 2 days after and a worker was sent to my unit a couple days later.

According to that worker, the noise was caused by wind entering the unit through the window drain holes. He sealed those holes and reseal window corners on the balcony side and now the draft is gone. My unit is now warm and quiet.

My screen door didn't came with a lock during PDI, it was installed a week later though and has been working fine since then.

I suggest you record everything and upload it to youtube, then send the link to Natalie so that she can send the right person to fix your window.

Back