Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

The 1BR 735 square foot unit was/is at MintoPlaza (38 Elm Street.) That building was built in the late 80's / early 90's I believe. I lived there in 95-99 in a rental unit (still can't believe I turned down the option to buy it for $149,000 back then...)

Bought a house and then a condo after that...

Currently in a 2BR+Den (1220 Square Foot) at 35 Mariner which is a rental while I wait for a 1427 SF unit in WHC2 to complete. I'm at the point where I know I want to live downtown long term and want a decent size unit. Hoping to be in the unit in another 14-16 months.

The 1BR 735 square foot unit was/is at MintoPlaza (38 Elm Street.) That building was built in the late 80's / early 90's I believe. I lived there in 95-99 in a rental unit (still can't believe I turned down the option to buy it for $149,000 back then...)

Bought a house and then a condo after that...

Currently in a 2BR+Den (1220 Square Foot) at 35 Mariner which is a rental while I wait for a 1427 SF unit in WHC2 to complete. I'm at the point where I know I want to live downtown long term and want a decent size unit. Hoping to be in the unit in another 14-16 months.

big difference from 735 sf to 1427 sf to live there all by yourself.

is that the 2 bed + den + library / 2 bath unit at WHC2?

Thanks 'new buyer' for the info.
I've been to the sales office yesterday, and the 15,000 discount is no longer available, they're giving 10,000$ discount on the 1B & 1B+DEN. As per Monica, 70% of the suites have been sold.

Could anyone let me know how much expenses/fees should the seller expect if he intends to sell prior to closing (other than the 3500$ prosessing fees to be paid by the seller to the builder). Thx.

Thanks 'new buyer' for the info.
I've been to the sales office yesterday, and the 15,000 discount is no longer available, they're giving 10,000$ discount on the 1B & 1B+DEN. As per Monica, 70% of the suites have been sold.

Could anyone let me know how much expenses/fees should the seller expect if he intends to sell prior to closing (other than the 3500$ prosessing fees to be paid by the seller to the builder). Thx.

You still need to pay lawyer fee, and land transfer tax. And I think you need to pay HST on the 2 fees listed above when closing.

Can anybody tell me if we can sell the condo prior to closing, is there any way to do this? what is your opinion regarding the gardenia floor plan.
thanks

Hi newbuyer2, I will try my best giving you my opinion.

3921485092_e3935b8674_o.png

Pros:
1. layout is very rectangular, thus space is very usable with no space wasted on corners or curves
2. washroom next to bedroom, makes it almost like en suite
3. though there is a hallway between closet and kitchen, but the kitchen's opening and additional width on the closet side makes it look more spacious
4. good storage space in w/d area

Cons:
1. balcony separated by privacy screen
2. due to living/dining area's length, dining area is too close to the tv area
3. hvac unit inside bedroom, makes the room smaller
4. hvac may disturb sleep, would be great if placed inside front door closet instead

3921485092_e3935b8674_o.png

Pros:
1. ditto probey's comments ... good overall layout and use of space
2. good sized closets in entry (4 ft wide) and bedroom (6 ft) considering size of unit

Cons:
1. i'm not sure how the developer can say the kitchen is 7'7" x 9'4" ... the measurement does not add up ...
2. definitely a lack of storage space in the kitchen ... only has upper cabinets on the exterior wall and none above the sink peninsula.
you could consider buying a wall cabinet at ikea and securing it on the plumbing wall ... just make sure you hit the studs and not the pipes :)

echoing comments from probey + cdr108 ... I think this unit is a good 1B (typical) design... there are no major issues with the layout

the only thing you have to be careful about is the scale of the furniture El-Ad's showing on the floorplans ... it appears to be 'condo sized' furniture ... because a 16'7" living/dining room isn't exactly "large", but yet they are showing a sofa and a chair in a L-shaped arrangement IN ADDITION to a rectangular dining table ... I can barely achieve that in my unit layout (when planning the space) and I have a 19' + living/dining room

if i use the "queen bed" as a reference, the sofa is about 6' x 3', and the dining table is 4' x 3'.

Airborne Sound from Traffic @ Emerald City

I am new to UT and I am looking into buying a 1+den unit that has less airborne sound from traffic. Thanks for the info in this thread. I've learnt that Poppy is a great floor plan. And I also like Azalea as it is pretty standard. Could you please comment on the traffic/road noise for these 2 layouts? Thanks!

I am new to UT and I am looking into buying a 1+den unit that has less airborne sound from traffic. Thanks for the info in this thread. I've learnt that Poppy is a great floor plan. And I also like Azalea as it is pretty standard. Could you please comment on the traffic/road noise for these 2 layouts? Thanks!

do you know the area? it sounds like you don't.
the project is bordered by 4 main arteries:

N - sheppard ave east;
E - hwy 404;
W - don mills road;
S - hwy 401 although that is far enough and blocked by many buildings.

Poppy faces NE and is really a 1 bedroom unit that has it's dining room labled a 'den';
Azalea faces S and is more of a 1 + 1 that has a usuable den that could be used even as a temp bedroom.

how sensitive to noise are you?
what floor are you thinking of buying?

Last edited:
do you know the area? it sounds like you don't.
the project is bordered by 4 main arteries:

N - sheppard ave east;
E - hwy 404;
W - don mills road;
S - hwy 401 although that is far enough and blocked by many buildings.

Poppy faces NE and is really a 1 bedroom unit that has it's dining room labled a 'den';
Azalea faces S and is more of a 1 + 1 that has a usuable den that could be used even as a temp bedroom.

how sensitive to noise are you?
what floor are you thinking of buying?

You have good observation. I don't know the area. I currently live in a house in Markham area and want to move to a condo with direct TTC access to reduce travelling time. I am considering the available highest floor. It sounds like Azalea may be better as it's facing 401.

Last edited:
from a purely noise perspective ... I don't expect east (404) or south (401) to be an issue as they are both quite far away and a good number of building separate this building from the above mentioned highway

given the outstanding POPPY suite layout, I would choose that NE facing unit over the south facing unit (which will have no view at all after Emerald City 2+3 is built) ... with respect to noise from Sheppard, I think it is to be expected when you are living in a 'somewhat' urban environment, you can not expect the 'zero noise level' typical of residential subdivisions in the suburbs ... in this case I think if you are above the 10th floor the noise should be quite acceptable

I totally agree with Solaris. The highway is quite far away. I don't think it will be an issue. I also bought Poppy unit on the 8th floor. I think it has a great floor plan.

Thanks newbuyer, Solaris & cdr108. I've been to the sales office today. According to Karen, it's now 70%+ sold. For Azalea, units above 25th floor are sold out. For Poppy, only the 13th floor is available. For the 4th floor Poppy unit, the price has been increased from $276,900 (May 17, 2009) to $286,900 (Sep 2, 2009). The cash back has been reduced from $15,000 to $10,000. HST is now included in the price. But I forgot to ask whether locker would be included or not. It seems like there would be not much flexibility for the price and no free upgrade. I am a first time condo buyer. Any ideas what I can ask before signing the offer?

Back