Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Thanks newbuyer.

The mortgage rate is so low. Today, I called the Emerald City mortgage rep for locking the rate. Will send you guys an update once I get the info. You may want to do the same so that we can compare notes.

I understand the rep is working out from the RBC location on Donmills and Finch, right? I met him 2 years ago, but I didn't continue with the application.

Could you tell me the detail of mortgage that you are locked in and also the info of the rep? PM me if you'd like.

Also, I have been doing home work. I went to home depot today and the guy there told me that if the builder charging us $1600 to upgrade bedroom to engineered hard wood floor, they are ripping as off which is not surprising. LOL
He showed me the different between engineered hardwood and regular hardwood. The engineered hardwood is a thin layer of hardwood. I really don't like it to be honest with you. He told me if I do it from home depot they could do it less than that (Around $1000 plus tax) for 100 sq ft room and I get to choose the level hardwood as well. He told me to ask the builder to "lay loose" the carpet so I can just roll it up and sell it. I wonder if she can do this. He said that when you walk on engineered hardwood floor, they can be a little "bouncy" to walk on.

For stainless appliances, I compared prices on Sears and home depot, the builder price for all 4 appliances for $1950 is actually cheaper than getting the from retailers, but I can not choose the appliances my self. I am still can't decide what I am going to do :(. I know for sure I won't be getting engineered hardwood from them.

I had my appointment today to select the colors. I think the selection was pretty poor, only 3 basic packages to choose from, and 1 upgrade package.

I don't like carpets at all, but I think $1600+tax/room is too pricey, we got an offer from a contractor to do the 2 bedrooms around half the price. So we just chose one of the carpets, we can change it anytime in the future if we want. I also find the price of the stainless steel appliances to high ($2203), I can live with white appliances.

I asked about the popcorn ceiling too, but they won't be smoothing the ceiling at all. It is a really messy work, would be nice to have it done before moving in.
I also asked for installing tiles in the kitchen instead of the hardwood, but they won't do it neither. It would be just more practical since we use the kitchen a lot. It would be nice to have more upgrade options.

By the way, the lady told us that she will ask the management again about the smooth ceiling because more people were asking about it. Let's hope they will change their mind.

Did you get a hold of the contractor??

Mortgage rate - locked for 2 years

5 year fixed: 4.69
5 year variable: P+0.15

Since I already have an account opened in 2009, a phone call is sufficient. No need to goto the bank (Don Mills & Finch) for paper work.

I have locked in for 4.69. Well, I can always call again if there is a better rate.

How long are they willing to lock in the rate for??

To be honest with you, that is high.

At TD, 5 year fixed I can get 4.24 and Variable at P+0.10

But then again since RBC is the site sponsor there, they might have other benefits.

5 year fixed: 4.69
5 year variable: P+0.15

Since I already have an account opened in 2009, a phone call is sufficient. No need to goto the bank (Don Mills & Finch) for paper work.

I have locked in for 4.69. Well, I can always call again if there is a better rate.

Does anyone has photos of the color selection packages and the approx. upgrade prices? I am still waiting for the phone call for color selection. Seeing them in advance will give me an idea how much money I need to save on upgrades. Thanks!

I took some pictures of the basic color packages (unfortunately no pic of the upgrade package), but I can not upload them. I could email them to you if you wish, just send me your email address in a private message.

I went to the sales office today and heard two things:
1) The parking will be assigned by the builder. In other words, we will not be able to pick the spot that we like.
2) Residents of Tower 3 will be able take a "short-cut" to Tower 1 lower level lobby thru the parking to access the subway. I didn't get much details as the sales rep had customers waiting.

The color selection area was locked and I couldn't get in. If you plan to go there to check out the color selections, try to avoid weekends.

Two years. Well, it is not the best rate. Thanks for letting him know. Albert will call me next week. I will let him know.

How long are they willing to lock in the rate for??

To be honest with you, that is high.

At TD, 5 year fixed I can get 4.24 and Variable at P+0.10

But then again since RBC is the site sponsor there, they might have other benefits.

I went to the sales office today and heard two things:
1) The parking will be assigned by the builder. In other words, we will not be able to pick the spot that we like.
2) Residents of Tower 3 will be able take a "short-cut" to Tower 1 lower level lobby thru the parking to access the subway. I didn't get much details as the sales rep had customers waiting.

The color selection area was locked and I couldn't get in. If you plan to go there to check out the color selections, try to avoid weekends.

Well.. aren't they always assigned by the builder? Can you imagine if you can actually choose yourself? What determine who gets to choose first? It will be chaos. Everyone wants the best spot close to the elevator lol

Did you know that they are going to build another 3 towers just south of the Emerald City Condos??? We went to the sales office yesterday and Monica told us about the new plans. They will tear down some more older apartment buildings. This info was completely new to me, but sounds good!

Did you know that they are going to build another 3 towers just south of the Emerald City Condos??? We went to the sales office yesterday and Monica told us about the new plans. They will tear down some more older apartment buildings. This info was completely new to me, but sounds good!

No I didn't know. Will it be the same builder? I am wondering if there is an article about it somewhere.

Last edited:

Back