Ellie Condos (G Group) - Real Estate -

anyone else get their deposit back???

Hey Luxome,

My money is being held by bratty's too. I went to my lawyer early june and still no response from bratty up until now. So I got fed up and called bratty's directly this week and they gave me the run around by telling me to contact my lawyer (who had already sent the request for my money back in june).

How did you get this piece of information that bratty is working on getting a court order to release the funds? Is this your guess or was it confirmed by anyone? I am so frustrated that someone (but I don't know who) has my money. At the moment all I care about is that my money is safe. Can anyone at least confirm that our money is safe and that it hasn't been stolen by these f*cking builders?

Any info would be appreciated.

So the vendor's law firm, Bratty's, is working on getting court order to release the funds. Apparently, the builder cannot be reached to sign the Mutual Release.

There is no end in sight until an order is received from the court.

Wait for Court Order

Below is what I got thru my lawyer.

Sent: August 5, 2014 9:27 AM

Subject: RE: Centrium at North York

We no longer represent the vendor, 1772521 Ontario Inc., with regards to the project known as Centrium at North York.

If deposits were made payable to our firm under an agreement of purchase and sale, those deposits continue to be held in our firm's trust account.

The next step in this matter will be an Application hearing in the Ontario Courts regarding a protocol for the return of deposits to purchasers. That hearing will likely take place in September of 2014. Once the Court Order is issued, our firm shall follow the deposit return protocol set out in such Order.

At this time, we cannot comment on the timing of the issuance of said Order but hope that this matter is resolved as soon as practicable.

Thank you,

Anthony Romanelli
B.A., LL.B.
Logo color

P (905) 760-2600 ext 381
F (905) 760-2900
C (416) 300-0292
aromanelli@bratty.com

7501 Keele Street, Suite 200
Vaughan, Ontario L4K 1Y2
www.bratty.com

Hey Luxome,

My money is being held by bratty's too. I went to my lawyer early june and still no response from bratty up until now. So I got fed up and called bratty's directly this week and they gave me the run around by telling me to contact my lawyer (who had already sent the request for my money back in june).

How did you get this piece of information that bratty is working on getting a court order to release the funds? Is this your guess or was it confirmed by anyone? I am so frustrated that someone (but I don't know who) has my money. At the moment all I care about is that my money is safe. Can anyone at least confirm that our money is safe and that it hasn't been stolen by these f*cking builders?

Any info would be appreciated.

Reporting Meerai Cho to the police

According to the law society, if we can prove Meerai Cho had committed a criminal act, then the law society will find evidence to prove her guilty. In that case she will need to pay back all the victims. To do this, we should all report Meerai Cho to the police and have the authorities arrest her and put her on trail.

In 2013, the construction site for Centrium was auctioned away to another party already. Meerai Cho had given away our money to the developer Joseph Lee, who had already fled to Korea. Meerai Cho as a trustee should not have done this, and this is considered illegal. This money, which is more than 15million (possibly twice of this amount) dollar, should be paid to Joseph lee after the construction completed. Meerai Cho shouldn’t have done this. This is possibly a plotted crime.

The occupancy date of Centrium was in September 2013, at that time, Meerai Cho should notify us and should return all of our money back 11 months ago. However, she did not do that, instead, she have been wasting our time. Whenever the victims request for their money back, she would send us a letter by telling us to sign it and have our money returned. However, this is unnecessary, because all the money should be entrusted to Meerai. The developers should not need to have us sign anything in order to return our money. We are all holding receipts â€subsection 81 (6) of the Condominium Act, 1998†given by Meerai Cho.

The Canadian government should help us and protect us from scam like this. Meerai Cho and the developer Joseph Lee had possibly planned this scam all along. Our money is possibly sitting in Korea at the moment. Meerai Cho as a lawyer knows how to cheat her way through the system and protect herself using her professional knowledge. In order to put her on trail, we must have the police arrest her and put her on trail, and also have the Canadian government request Joseph Lee to return to Canada and to be placed on trail as well. If we have enough people reporting her to the police, the police will act to this case, and the law society will raise awareness on Meerai Cho. Hundreds of us are suffering from this scam; we must act fast and let’s hope justice will be on our side.

Who got the money for the sale of land done by Colliers

Just wondering who took the money after they sold the land? Also sent back to Korea???

According to the law society, if we can prove Meerai Cho had committed a criminal act, then the law society will find evidence to prove her guilty. In that case she will need to pay back all the victims. To do this, we should all report Meerai Cho to the police and have the authorities arrest her and put her on trail.

In 2013, the construction site for Centrium was auctioned away to another party already. Meerai Cho had given away our money to the developer Joseph Lee, who had already fled to Korea. Meerai Cho as a trustee should not have done this, and this is considered illegal. This money, which is more than 15million (possibly twice of this amount) dollar, should be paid to Joseph lee after the construction completed. Meerai Cho shouldn’t have done this. This is possibly a plotted crime.

The occupancy date of Centrium was in September 2013, at that time, Meerai Cho should notify us and should return all of our money back 11 months ago. However, she did not do that, instead, she have been wasting our time. Whenever the victims request for their money back, she would send us a letter by telling us to sign it and have our money returned. However, this is unnecessary, because all the money should be entrusted to Meerai. The developers should not need to have us sign anything in order to return our money. We are all holding receipts â€subsection 81 (6) of the Condominium Act, 1998†given by Meerai Cho.

The Canadian government should help us and protect us from scam like this. Meerai Cho and the developer Joseph Lee had possibly planned this scam all along. Our money is possibly sitting in Korea at the moment. Meerai Cho as a lawyer knows how to cheat her way through the system and protect herself using her professional knowledge. In order to put her on trail, we must have the police arrest her and put her on trail, and also have the Canadian government request Joseph Lee to return to Canada and to be placed on trail as well. If we have enough people reporting her to the police, the police will act to this case, and the law society will raise awareness on Meerai Cho. Hundreds of us are suffering from this scam; we must act fast and let’s hope justice will be on our side.

Hi, all
I purchase two commercial units, hear that Meerai Cho went bankrupt, is any one can confirm that? That mean my deposited is gone?

This can't be happening

How do you know this? Specifically, how do you know Meerai Cho gave the money to the developer and that the developer fled (although this doesn't surprise me)?

I am equally frustrated and also fear the worst but some things you've written are either wrong or out of date. The first occupancy date I got was sometime in 2014 then I received a letter that the occupany date was pushed to 2016.

As well, the money might be held in trust by Meerai Cho but standard protocol for any deposits held in trust by a third party to be returned to buyer must require a mutual release signed by both parties otherwise a court order is needed. So in that regard, Meerai Cho sending you a form to sign is not necessarily suspicious.

I do agree though that the longer we wait the more I feel like something criminal is going on. I would gladly report this to the police but right now I've got nothing. No facts. My lawyer is telling nothing and all the information I have is off this website. The police will just tell me to go get some hard evidence before they'll do anything.

Does anyone have ANY facts that can be proven???

Thanks jckho,

Can your lawyer actually confirm that your deposit is held with bratty and the exact amount (for now I am not concerned about the release funds, rather I just want to know if my money in full is actually in the trust account)? It appears that your lawyer is getting more info than mine. I am so frustrated that I can't get confirmation that the exact amount of my deposit is being held with bratty. I made my cheques out to bratty but now that I'm hearing unconfirmed allegations of fraud, I just want to make sure these lowlifes didn't commit cheque fraud either (like somehow switching the name from bratty to meerai cho). Once again, don't want too sound paranoid but it is absolutely ridiculous that the developer sold the land before returning our money and then have the lawyers put up a wall of silence. By the time anyone figures out if fraud has been committed or not, years will have passed.

Below is what I got thru my lawyer.

Sent: August 5, 2014 9:27 AM

Subject: RE: Centrium at North York

We no longer represent the vendor, 1772521 Ontario Inc., with regards to the project known as Centrium at North York.

If deposits were made payable to our firm under an agreement of purchase and sale, those deposits continue to be held in our firm's trust account.

The next step in this matter will be an Application hearing in the Ontario Courts regarding a protocol for the return of deposits to purchasers. That hearing will likely take place in September of 2014. Once the Court Order is issued, our firm shall follow the deposit return protocol set out in such Order.

At this time, we cannot comment on the timing of the issuance of said Order but hope that this matter is resolved as soon as practicable.

Thank you,

Anthony Romanelli
B.A., LL.B.
Logo color

P (905) 760-2600 ext 381
F (905) 760-2900
C (416) 300-0292
aromanelli@bratty.com

7501 Keele Street, Suite 200
Vaughan, Ontario L4K 1Y2
www.bratty.com

Hi, Every one
Please try to contact policy fraud Dep Tel: 416-8082222 address: 30 ellerslie Ave. REF# 2688289 or file# 2014-2539937.

Nothappy

No. Cannot confirm my deposit in the trust fund. My lawyer sent a letter asked them what happened to the project. Without answer any specific question, they sent a mutual release agreement and asked me to sign in order to get back my deposit. Before I sign anything, another lawyer Anthony sent a notice to call off everything. Hopefully, my deposit is still in the trust fund with Brattys since they asked me to sign release form. According to a letter from Brattys after I paid my deposit, the trust fund should be with BMO. Also, I heard there is a escrow agent known as GCNA.

I think there may be different lawyers for different development. Brattys is for condo, Cho is for commercial, may be another one for the hotel. This making things more complicated.

Thanks jckho,

Can your lawyer actually confirm that your deposit is held with bratty and the exact amount (for now I am not concerned about the release funds, rather I just want to know if my money in full is actually in the trust account)? It appears that your lawyer is getting more info than mine. I am so frustrated that I can't get confirmation that the exact amount of my deposit is being held with bratty. I made my cheques out to bratty but now that I'm hearing unconfirmed allegations of fraud, I just want to make sure these lowlifes didn't commit cheque fraud either (like somehow switching the name from bratty to meerai cho). Once again, don't want too sound paranoid but it is absolutely ridiculous that the developer sold the land before returning our money and then have the lawyers put up a wall of silence. By the time anyone figures out if fraud has been committed or not, years will have passed.

Yes , I started dealing with it around March and get the money within 5 weeks with Bratty , since then I introduced my lawyer to a few members from the forum but I heard they still haven't get back the money as of now....( I got my unit and pay the first deposit on Aug 2009)

Noted , I've been told that commercial unit is not covered by Tarion and is quite possible that your money may never been recovered if there is a fraud happened

Good Luck

Thanks to all who responded.

I feel better now knowing Meerai Cho is dealing with the commercial side although I feel bad for all those who have to deal with her. I know I'm not out of the woods yet until I have my deposit back, but so far I haven't heard anything negative about Bratty. Is anyone else feeling nervous about Bratty or is everyone just annoyed that we have to go through so much red tape to get our money back?

As a precaution, I just went to my bank to request for all my deposit cheques be pulled up just to make sure they weren't tampered with. If Bratty won't confirm they have my money, I'm going to do whatever I can on my side to ensure that my money went into their bank account. It'll take up to ten days for the bank to pull it from their files but I'll feel better once I see the cheques are written out to Bratty.

Does anyone know why the release of funds stopped a few months ago and now it has to go through the courts?

Anyone with additional information, please post. Thanks!

Yes , I started dealing with it around March and get the money within 5 weeks with Bratty , since then I introduced my lawyer to a few members from the forum but I heard they still haven't get back the money as of now....( I got my unit and pay the first deposit on Aug 2009)

Noted , I've been told that commercial unit is not covered by Tarion and is quite possible that your money may never been recovered if there is a fraud happened

Good Luck

Last edited:
I bought the condo. I got 4 letters from Brattys for all 4 payments of deposit and they said in their trust fund.

Thanks to all who responded.

I feel better now knowing Meerai Cho is dealing with the commercial side although I feel bad for all those who have to deal with her. I know I'm not out of the woods yet until I have my deposit back, but so far I haven't heard anything negative about Bratty. Is anyone else feeling nervous about Bratty or is everyone just annoyed that we have to go through so much red tape to get our money back?

As a precaution, I just went to my bank to request for all my deposit cheques be pulled up just to make sure they weren't tampered with. If Bratty won't confirm they have my money, I'm going to do whatever I can on my side to ensure that my money went into their bank account. It'll take up to ten days for the bank to pull it from their files but I'll feel better once I see the cheques are written out to Bratty.

Does anyone know why the release of funds stopped a few months ago and now it has to go through the courts?

Anyone with additional information, please post. Thanks!

I got the 4 letters of evidence of deposit compliance too but I'm still going to check anyways.

Anyways, someone just messaged me that he got a response from his lawyer that the court hearing is on Sept. 2nd.

Feel better now that everyone seems to be getting the same info. Just wish my lawyer was in the loop.

I bought the condo. I got 4 letters from Brattys for all 4 payments of deposit and they said in their trust fund.

Last edited:

Back