News   May 01, 2024
 543     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 235     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 312     0 

Education of newcomers to Canada (moved from transport)

Do you at least speak fluent fob? :p

Nope. My aunt said my Cantonese sounded kind of formal (i.e. I sound like an old lady...unless "old lady" counts as fluent fob). I don't really have an accent, so I don't "sound" jook sing either.

Word to the wise... people who overuse over-the-top rhetoric in their arguments often aren't taken that seriously.
It's not, IMO "over-the-top rhetoric" to claim that Canada scours the developing world to bring in low and semi skilled labour. We've always done this. My wife's Ukranian ancestors came to Canada in the late 1800s and early 1900s on the promise that semi-skilled farm workers could build lives for themselves without settlement programs beyond a train ticket out west and if they're lucky a grant of some land.

However the country has changed, and unskilled, hardworking immigrants are likely to suffer generations of poverty and dispair. We do these people no favours by inviting them to Canada where they'll toil in restaurant wash basins with no hope of every owning the restaurant.

How are you gonna attract talented immigrants if you don't let them bring family in? .

Hogwash. I assure you that when folks are shopping around to immigrate (and most prospective immigrants do that), being able to bring over grandma is very rarely the deciding factor. Acceptability of qualifications, quality of life, the job market, education for the kids are all far more important. That line is claptrap that's used by immigrants who want to make it easy to bring over family who would not otherwise qualify. I am an immigrant and I think it's BS.

We can meet the requirement of letting in family in many other ways. You already get points if you merely furnish a letter mentioning that you have family here and it has a positive effect in your interview anyway. We can provide long stay visas for the elderly (parents are usually the most important to bring over for immigrants). For everyone else, they should have to come over as economic class migrants. Canada does not benefit very much from family class migration. The fact that immigrants have been doing so poorly in the last decade (as family immigration has shot up) is evidence of this. We need to get more skilled economic migrants, preferably young professional couples with kids, while leaving behind their unskilled brothers and sisters.

If you think I'm harsh, then you should see the migration policies of the UK, USA and Australia. They basically have something similar to what I just discussed. And they are all doing fine and seem to have no issues attracting migrants.

Hogwash. I assure you that when folks are shopping around to immigrate (and most prospective immigrants do that), being able to bring over grandma is very rarely the deciding factor. Acceptability of qualifications, quality of life, the job market, education for the kids are all far more important. That line is claptrap that's used by immigrants who want to make it easy to bring over family who would not otherwise qualify. I am an immigrant and I think it's BS.

We can meet the requirement of letting in family in many other ways. You already get points if you merely furnish a letter mentioning that you have family here and it has a positive effect in your interview anyway. We can provide long stay visas for the elderly (parents are usually the most important to bring over for immigrants). For everyone else, they should have to come over as economic class migrants. Canada does not benefit very much from family class migration. The fact that immigrants have been doing so poorly in the last decade (as family immigration has shot up) is evidence of this. We need to get more skilled economic migrants, preferably young professional couples with kids, while leaving behind their unskilled brothers and sisters.

If you think I'm harsh, then you should see the migration policies of the UK, USA and Australia. They basically have something similar to what I just discussed. And they are all doing fine and seem to have no issues attracting migrants.

I say hogwash to this. It's not always grandma but the frikken wife and children! Helllooooo! They are also family class and the biggest part of it! You're taking the worst example instead of the best and most frequent.

What about sponsoring a spouse from the old country? Especially spouse who might very well contribute very little to society? My boyfriend works with a Canadian-raised guy who went back to the old country to marry. His wife speaks very, very, very little English, despite having been in Toronto for 12 years. She's more or less a stay-at-home mother, but unlike most stay-at-home moms, she does nothing when it comes to contributing to the kids' education (e.g. act as a class parent) because she can't speak the language.

My wife's Ukranian ancestors came to Canada in the late 1800s and early 1900s on the promise that semi-skilled farm workers could build lives for themselves without settlement programs beyond a train ticket out west and if they're lucky a grant of some land.

But it's 2009 now, and that's not how the immigration system works. You either need a lot of money, or you need a high enough score on the point system.

What about sponsoring a spouse from the old country? Especially spouse who might very well contribute very little to society? My boyfriend works with a Canadian-raised guy who went back to the old country to marry. His wife speaks very, very, very little English, despite having been in Toronto for 12 years. She's more or less a stay-at-home mother, but unlike most stay-at-home moms, she does nothing when it comes to contributing to the kids' education (e.g. act as a class parent) because she can't speak the language.

The likelihood/desire though is that the kid will grow up to be a taxpayer. Also, unless the wife is getting social assistance she's forcing the guy to spend more at the very least on food and basic supplies.

Many H&C cases are based on this. While the mother/parent (usually single parent situations) may not pass the point system, they have kids going to University who will become viable members of society.

If you kick them out after educating them do you think they will want to stay/come back in?

Does it hold merit that adding a contributing member(s) of society balances things out? The goal of immigration is to have either positive or neutral impact on Canada (as outlined in immigration law).

I say hogwash to this. It's not always grandma but the frikken wife and children! Helllooooo! They are also family class and the biggest part of it! You're taking the worst example instead of the best and most frequent.

Any stats to show they are the biggest components of family class? I don't buy that. Most immigrants do come over as couples/families who apply as a couple for immigration. While I can understand the need to allow bringing over a spouse and kids, that does not excuse brining over parents or unmarried siblings. You are right that’s the worst part of the system. And however small, probably causes dispropotional impact. How else do you explain the fact that immigrants today are doing substantially worse than those who came in the 80s? How could immigrants coming here in the 90s through one of our best economic booms be doing so poorly? Obviously, we are bringing over people who aren't cut out for this country. And my bet is that this failure rests in large part to the folks who get to bypass the normal screens by being sponsored.

However the country has changed, and unskilled, hardworking immigrants are likely to suffer generations of poverty and dispair. We do these people no favours by inviting them to Canada where they'll toil in restaurant wash basins with no hope of every owning the restaurant.

It is worth pointing out that Canadian "poverty" is not actual poverty. Earning minimum wage here is generally more than one can earn in Vietnam or Ecuador. There is a reason why most people who immigrate here stay, even if they earn sub minimum wage they are better off than had they stayed in their original country. Plus the remittance flows, which can be incredibly important to countries like Mexico or Lithuania. Remittances make up 10% of Mexico's exports, for instance.

Any stats to show they are the biggest components of family class? I don't buy that. Most immigrants do come over as couples/families who apply as a couple for immigration. While I can understand the need to allow bringing over a spouse and kids, that does not excuse brining over parents or unmarried siblings. You are right that’s the worst part of the system. And however small, probably causes dispropotional impact. How else do you explain the fact that immigrants today are doing substantially worse than those who came in the 80s? How could immigrants coming here in the 90s through one of our best economic booms be doing so poorly? Obviously, we are bringing over people who aren't cut out for this country. And my bet is that this failure rests in large part to the folks who get to bypass the normal screens by being sponsored.

There was a recession for a few years in the early 90s. The 1980s on the other hand were a boom time.

My parents came in the 1970s. They got jobs right away (though not in sectors they were educated in - not that it matters!), and good, white-collar jobs, I might add.

There was a recession for a few years in the early 90s. The 1980s on the other hand were a boom time.

I am referring to immigrants who came over in the mid-90s...the ones who stats show were falling behind through the tech boom.

Hogwash. I assure you that when folks are shopping around to immigrate (and most prospective immigrants do that), being able to bring over grandma is very rarely the deciding factor.
When we moved to Canada from the UK in the 1970s we never gave any consideration to bringing extended family with us. In fact, I would fathom to suggest that we were leaving to get away from them :)

It is worth pointing out that Canadian "poverty" is not actual poverty. Earning minimum wage here is generally more than one can earn in Vietnam or Ecuador. There is a reason why most people who immigrate here stay, even if they earn sub minimum wage they are better off than had they stayed in their original country. Plus the remittance flows, which can be incredibly important to countries like Mexico or Lithuania. Remittances make up 10% of Mexico's exports, for instance.

Vietnam is already on the radar for me, they have a growing IT industry - so after India, China, that is the next to follow along. In fact it has some easy rules for setting up businesses, the government has made that sector a priority - and the government responds quickly and easily (rules of ownership are good for foreign companies), and they have a fair number of IT graduates. I think Vietnam has some great prospects.

Back