Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

scaffolding going up at Hudsons Bay..

ek7Li1a.jpg

There's now a second floor balcony overlooking into the Yonge-Dundas atrium. Even though it's still rugged and under construction, it really opens up the atrium. It reveals one of the reasons why the atrium has sucked since they built the H&M. Having multiple levels of with activity is preferable to the old monolithic SEARS wall.

I was rushing through but I'll try to get a shot the next time I pass through if nobody else does in the meantime.

This is certainly more exciting than Nordstrom, whose stores tend to be oddly conservative and dowdy considering their merchandise. Simons would have been so much better with the arrival of Saks.

Based on my experiences living in metro Detroit, Nordstrom is what clothes shopping at a department store should be like. The selection is broad and fashionable. Their sales people provide great customer service in suggesting styles and finding sizes. You can get good stuff at good prices when they have a sale.

I don't like the customer service experience at the Bay because they have too few people. To wait 10-15 minutes for someone to find your shoe size in the back like I've experienced on ordinary days at Sherway Gardens is inadequate. The Bay should hire more people for the sales floor at most of their GTA locations.

Nordstrom's conservative exteriors aren't even that bad. They go for a look of grandeur. They have some contemporary facades with extensive glazing as well.

Last edited:
Well that photo sure doesn't make me feel too enthused about it. You could tack any store name on that big-box facade.

Hardly. Most stores wouldn't invest in the massive glazed entrance with a suspended glass canopy. They wouldn't have the potted plants or all that detail in the cladding. Here's a Sears for comparison. Nordstrom's standards don't push the envelope, but they are above average.

Based on my experiences living in metro Detroit, Nordstrom is what clothes shopping at a department store should be like. The selection is broad and fashionable. Their sales people provide great customer service in suggesting styles and finding sizes. You can get good stuff at good prices when they have a sale.

I don't like the customer service experience at the Bay because they have too few people. To wait 10-15 minutes for someone to find your shoe size in the back like I've experienced on ordinary days at Sherway Gardens is inadequate. The Bay should hire more people for the sales floor at most of their GTA locations.

Nordstrom's conservative exteriors aren't even that bad. They go for a look of grandeur. They have some contemporary facades with extensive glazing as well.

If you are expecting a similar price-point and sale discounts as the US counterpart you'll be waiting a long time. Won't even be comparable. Customer service is however impeccable, but even that may not carryover into Canada

Last edited:
Nordstrom knows what they're doing in retail. I think they'll replicate the US experience fairly closely. They'll be more successful than Saks and will cut into the Bay's market share. Canada's largest cities are ripe for a retailer like Nordstrom, but not so much Saks. We still don't buy as much in luxury goods.

After what happened to Target, I'm sure replicating the "American Experience" will be high on the list of priorities for Nordstrom. Not that their products or intended markets are in any way similar, but that cross-border continuity seems to be what people expect (demand) of American retailers trying to set up here

Hardly. Most stores wouldn't invest in the massive glazed entrance with a suspended glass canopy. They wouldn't have the potted plants or all that detail in the cladding. Here's a Sears for comparison. Nordstrom's standards don't push the envelope, but they are above average.

It is the pre-cast that perturbs the intended "look of grandeur," as it is not a classical material. I think this company has good intentions, but I agree, Nordstrom exterior and interior design is a bit blah.

I think Nordstrom will do well. I was born and raised in the US, and Nordstrom was the only department store that young people would shop at- less dowdy selection than the other department stores (though the Bay isn't as bad as American dep't stores), and there were some good deals. When I go back to visit my parents, this still seems to hold true.

We went shopping in michigan over the holidays, went to the big Great Lakes crossing retail outlet, didn't find prices or selection too much better then here, happened to run into a nordstrom outlet, think it was called nordstrom rack. It was layed out kind of like a Marshall's or winners, but the selection of clothing and shoes was awesome. Ended up spending most of our money on our trip in this discount nordstrom alone. Would like to see this outlet store here went nordstrom opens, could see it being really popular for those who find nordstroms prices little too high.

Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack

We went shopping in michigan over the holidays, went to the big Great Lakes crossing retail outlet, didn't find prices or selection too much better then here, happened to run into a nordstrom outlet, think it was called nordstrom rack. It was layed out kind of like a Marshall's or winners, but the selection of clothing and shoes was awesome. Ended up spending most of our money on our trip in this discount nordstrom alone. Would like to see this outlet store here went nordstrom opens, could see it being really popular for those who find nordstroms prices little too high.

My office is near an N and NR, and I find both terrific! The prices in NR are better though and the selection sufficient for my needs but not as broad as at their regular store, which also has a small but delightful(!) home/houseware section. There's also a Saks 5th Ave in the same mall as N, and I actually prefer N; better prices, amazing selection, excellent quality and delightful service!

I think Torontonians are in for a real treat once N, S and now Uniqlo, all open in the EC. I wished another Japanese department store would also open up shop here. I think Toronto is ready for a Mitsukoshi or Takashimaya, even if just a smaller version of either. Canadians are smart shoppers, they know how to identify good value-for-money.

Back