Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

A lot of Canadians would consider products from HBC "showing off". I can tell you really don't like Saks but when push comes to shove, Saks and HBC are both higher-end stores. Having Saks here just creates more variety in product and brand identity.

HBC's marketing has obviously worked. For a long time, "The Bay" was the anchor for a lot of mediocre, suburban malls like the once-and-potentially-future-failing-Cloverdale. In the 80's, their image was a step above Zellers and K-Mart (when it was still around), but wasn't considered high end. They were a middling fashion and housewares department store like Sears, Eatons, Woodward's, Simpsons or JC Penney. One doesn't even have to get out of the city to have the gloss removed from their eyes. Visit the why-the-hell-hasn't-it-been-renovated-yet 44 Bloor East location, especially around floors 2-3, where frayed industrial carpeting, cracked plaster and fluorescent tube lights are king.

That's not to say they don't sell great products, just that the sense of luxury is intentionally manufactured and plastered over what once was. They want to look like Holt Renfrew or Canada's equivalent to Nordstrom's, but also don't want to alienate all of Canada with their pricing.

In actuality, the fact that they are wanting to surround themselves by what people consider their competition is brilliance. As mentioned, it makes them appear to be a steal even though the stores themselves don't look cheap at all.

Last edited:
Retail Insider posted a found rendering for the Nordstrom space.

Also worth noting, the rendering depicts an updated facade of 250 Yonge (the office tower above Roots). Anyone know if anything is planned here?

Hmm, Retail Insider has also got a leasing plan up with the article.

Golly gosh, (sorry, just watched Downton), whoever could be the retailer in the remaining space on Yonge?

Telling that the "best" part of the reno was the high quality video screen. It's 2016 - it will take more than LED lighting to impress.

AoD

I really dislike the new H&M. It almost has a shack-like aesthetic, like a crappy electronics store or something. Would much rather have the Uniqlo on the corner as their facades are far more attractive. It also feels way too short for the corner.

Gonna have to agree with those hating on the new H&M. It looks terrible! Even though the hoarding is down, it still looks so temporary and cheap... like hoarding itself.

I rather like the new H&M. Reminds me of the lost World of Jeans (think that is what it was called)

Back