News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

East York-Old East York

There's a strain of small-c conservatism in East York that is quite anti-bike, especially once you get into the bungalow and tear-down-for-new-build land north of Mortimer. After all, this is the borough that elected Case Ootes as a councillor until 2010, where he was the lone Mike Harris-era conservative sitting on the TO-East York Community Council.

I recall the Cosburn bike lane debate in the mid-00s with Janet Davis remarking that her hair turned grey soon after. The more recent Woodbine bike lane debate was also quite intense, although it appeared more contentious south of the Danforth.
Facebook opinions are definitely not reflective of reality, but this reflects *a lot* of the “I’m From East York, Toronto” group members. The cycle tracks on Danforth and Woodbine aren’t very popular on that group lol. Also, when exactly were the Cosburn bike lanes added?

The tree canopy in the south end of East York is quite good, roughly south of Mortimer and Lumsden to the old boundary along Aldwych/Milverton/Springdale.

Also, unlike many of the streets in Riverdale or Leslieville, these hoods mostly lack laneways, so the backyards tend to be quite large with trees.
Yeah, agree, there are decent pockets. Lumsden in between Chisholm and Woodbine really has this. To my surprise, that strip on Dawes south of Gower also has decent tree canopy (fairly recent addition). The area sandwiched between Woodbine, O’Connor, Mortimer, and Donlands is the “meh” part regarding tree canopy. As mentioned in my comment above, same with the walkable strips on Pape, O’Connor/St. Clair, Donlands, and Coxwell. Though as Northern Light said above, there are plans for trees north of St. Clair on O’Connor.

I doubt this will happen anytime soon, but it really needs an update at least to look more like the ones on Woodbine (I’m not even saying 100% separated, but at least change the configuration of having them in between the ROW road and the parking.

Bike lanes on Cosburn are scheduled for upgrades in 2026, currently.

That date is not fixed in stone of course, but that's the internal schedule right now.

So my understanding is the west side of Pape from Gowan to Gamble has been expropriated and they need to be out by Dec 31. I was talking to a proprietor and he said the dislocation of the residents above the shops was more problematic as many have been there for decades. But the residents are receiving government assistance, while the retail just needs to shut down.

The Shoppers on Pape is closing but I haven't seen any other businesses from Gowan to Gamble on the west side recently announce that they're closing. I hope they're not all closing tomorrow, my girlfriend just left her clothes at the dry cleaners there!

Shoppers says they are moving their location south to Pape and Floyd starting Jan 25. Not sure where though.

The Shoppers on Pape is closing but I haven't seen any other businesses from Gowan to Gamble on the west side recently announce that they're closing. I hope they're not all closing tomorrow, my girlfriend just left her clothes at the dry cleaners there!

Shoppers says they are moving their location south to Pape and Floyd starting Jan 25. Not sure where though.
The Metrolinx plan for Cosburn Station, shows that the main station building will be in at the northwest corner of Pape and Cosburn, and will go all the way to the empty lot at Pape and Gamble.

The secondary exit will be where the current Shoppers on Pape is located (west side of Pape, south of Cosburn). In addition a few of the neighbouring properties in that block have also been expropriated, but not all of them.

When the constriction of the Station is finally completed (many years from now) and the Ontario Line is fully open, Shoppers will then build a large format store on the empty lot, at the Southwest corner of Pape and Gamble.

In the interim years, Shoppers will be relocate to a much smaller footprint, on the east side of Pape, just north of Flloyd, at 951 Pape. This is where the former LeGrotto Pizza was located.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Toronto Rocks. I knew the northwest businesses at Pape and Cosburn were eventually going to disappear for the station construction, I just hope they don't all suddenly close tomorrow!

I wonder if the interim Shoppers will also include the framing/print shop next door that is closing. I didn't realize the restaurant has disappeared. Bummer.

There is definitely some land assembly going on along Pape.
Both the KFC and former Cocomille Auto place are now closed. Both are large corner lots.
Shoppers currently has two separate building permits with the City of Toronto for internal renovations on Pape.
I don;t think TD is going anywhere as they just renovated the Pape branch.

There is definitely some land assembly going on along Pape.
Both the KFC and former Cocomille Auto place are now closed. Both are large corner lots.
Shoppers currently has two separate building permits with the City of Toronto for internal renovations on Pape.
I don;t think TD is going anywhere as they just renovated the Pape branch.
Shoppers has moved to a tiny location at 1009 Pape. It's basically the pharmacy counter only now.

Metrolinx needs the KFC lot to build an Ontario Line crossover in the tunnel north of Pape Station
Source: https://stevemunro.ca/2022/03/11/on...assessment-open-houses-part-ii-north-section/ and https://www.infrastructureontario.c...--north-pape-tunnel-and-underground-stations/

Bye Bye KFC. To be honest, not a loss I'm going to miss.

20240203_132345.jpg

Back